Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Education experience in the RM

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by DwightSchrute, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Sly3

Sly3 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I am partial to cider on a very hot summers evening, I can see myself being distracted.

Glad I’m rejoining in my mid twenties, I have the time, but I do hope the higher’s above me allow me to get on with the education within my own time.

2. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Its quite hard to say. A degree with a good classification i.e. 1st or 2:1 is useful in its own right and could see yourself getting on to some good grad schemes. I think it really boils down to the individuals circumstance, their goals and network. If you are thinking of studying I would look at your

A) current and previous work experience
    B) current academic qualifications and qualification/courses gained through work

then match this against your future career ambitions and see how well this pairs up. Will a degree add any value? The aim is to make yourself as employable as possible. It might be that the job/Sector you would like to do/work does not require a degree or it would be better for you invest your time on a difference course or getting work exp. E.g. if you wanted to get into Project Management, I would not recommend for you to spend 6 years getting a degree and instead enrol onto a PRINCE or AGILE course and get some coordination experience. Again same with Sales/Account Management and also IT. 3 of these have a very high potential salary and do not require a degree to get there.

Some sectors like Law/Teaching it would be the norm to have a degree. If the job you are looking to do is quite competitive there is a chance that there would be a degree requirement (big generalization), employers can do this because they have a such a high amount of applicants they can afford to be particular who they choose. Especially if its a highly sought after entry level job where the applicant is not likely to have a much work experience.

@Chelonian has got some great thoughts which I agree with.

I would type in future jobs you are interested in doing after the Marines and look at the current job requirements and then decide how beneficial having a degree will be.

Do you have any thoughts of what you would like to do after the Marines?