Education in the RM

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To what extent are you encouraged to develop *text deleted* education while *text deleted* in the marines? R there opportunities to study for open university degrees/diplomas? Is there ne financial assistance? Is it easier to gain qalifications as an officer as opposed to being a marine? R there opportunities to study for further GCSE's/A-levels?

Thanks

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is an anual learning grant given to each marine, cant remember how much this is off the top of my head. Most, if not all specilizations gain you qualifications aswel. There is a Learning Centre on base at Lympstone, not sure about any other bases tho. Hope this helps

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think I read sumwhere the annual learning grant was 175 quid-don't think that wud stretch very far *text deleted* but better than nothing

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah you can get other qualifications and skills out of the marines but not GCSE's. You can get things that will help you if you leave say to become a police officer or paramedic for example. You keep learning though, thats what it says in the book I got from my AFCO.

But yeah you can get alot more things and you can work your way up the ranks from a marine.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
In addition to the qualifications you gain through service training: You can indeed study and take GCSE's, AS, A2, NVQs, OU Degrees etc., through the Mod Standard & Enhanced learning credits scheme. You are no more or less able to take advantage of these schemes whether you are an Officer or Other Rank.

Whilst the opportunities are available it's up to the individual to make the most of their own time to advance their academic level of attainment. Many people get off their backsides to improve themselves, but it takes a conscious effort - the exams won't come looking for you.

Azza01

Reaction score
Upong leaving the RM hopefully if i get in way into the future I was considering becoming a paramedic, I want to possibly go into the medial assistant specialty, i dont know the exact process to become an paramedic as a civi but i think you can train to do it at uni, i think you need a science A-Level so I will try to study to get some more a levels while im in the RM. *text deleted* make the most out of the oppourunitys your given...

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think to be a paramedic in civvie street you have to do a 3 yr uni course

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I was considering becoming a paramedic,
I think you can do the full 3 (or however many) years at uni,
or you can do a few weeks of training,
become an ambulance technician (person who helps paramedics),
and then train on the job,
then after a year or two,
you can do some more training and then become qualified as a paramedic.
Depends if you *text deleted* wait and start out as a paramedic,
or get stuck in straight away while preparing to become one.

But on the topic of education,
does anyone know if you can choose to do language course?
Or do you have to get picked for them,
because I read that some Paras have been given lessons in Pashto to help when they go Afghanistan,
and I was just wondering if you're selected for these language courses or if you can put yourself on them.

Joe