Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Education, qualifications and future

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by A350-800, Feb 11, 2019.

1. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    (I am not entirely sure I have posted this in the correct section, please delete if it is in the wrong one, Thanks:) )

I have just been thinking a little recently about qualifications and education and I would be very grateful for some careers advice and assistance, Thankyou:)

I currently have 1 as level, 1 A level and 1 btec level 3 award and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to take some time now while I still can to attain another a level in order to open up more opportunities in the future. I currently have a part time job as a lifeguard and though I am very grateful to have a job and save money it is very boring and repetitive. It does however leave me the opportunity to use spare time to study and improve my cv. I have been wanting to join the marines for 4 years now and I have been trainjng specifically for 8 months to meet the joining fitness criteria. In my spare time I am studying a history as level which I am to take in may if all goes to plan. I was aiming to put my OR application in next month because i anticipate it will take a while due to some medical issues but there have been a few things that have crossed my mind over the past few weeks that made me think I should delay.

Though my current job is boring and predictable I think I have developed a lot over the past 2 years in terms of social skills, life experience and confidence and it is a bit embarrassing but even though I am 20 now I was a bit of a late developer haha so I have grown quite a lot in the past 2 years. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial for me to spend an extra year getting extra a levels, more life experience and improving confidence before applying. I could also do some volunteering or improve my cv with leadership skills because my cv basically just has my curernt job and gcses on it at the moment. I could keep my current job and probably do 1 extra a level and 1 as level in maths and physics at college, The extra a levels would provide me with potentially more opportunity for the future but at the same time I feel excited about joining the royal marines and really want to get cracking as soon as possible, I am a little torn with what to do! All i can think about when bored at work is the marines and I am worried that if i keep procrastianating i will never actually join!

Please can I ask if it is possible to gain a levels or qualifications after you pass out at a unit, and how easy is it to do this with all the other work marines do like deployments and exercises, I undersrand the general duties must of course take priority over educational needs of the individual because that is the job After all:)

Thankyou for your time, sorry for that long winded post,

Cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hopefully others will chip in with their comments but I'll throw my thoughts into the mix to start:

Arguably your dilemma can be narrowed down to whether additional academic qualifications will benefit you in the longer term. A service career, regardless of length, will give you as much life experience and confidence as you could want.

By the way, history is a sound choice. Lots of critical analysis and other portable skills required. There's a reason why it's popular with 'blue chip' corporations recruiting university graduates.

• Like Like x 2
  3. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou very much for your reply chelonian, :)
    I really enjoy history, it's interesting and it's helpful for me to learn how to write essays :)

4. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I would always say education is the key but in your case you should have a think about what benefit you would get from further qualifications. There are very few careers for which A levels are the entry level qualification. Most will require 5 x GCSEs or a degree.

These days, A levels tend to be a pre-cursor to going to university so maybe have a think about what Plan B may be and understand what quals you need to join.

Depending on the route you follow once enlisted, there are many opportunities to get additional qualifications. This tends to be once you are a little more senior as for the first few years you should focus on being a marine and enjoying yourself.

Lastly if you have a few med issues, your route into the RM may take a bit of time. Despite what I say above, you may find yourself with more time than you know what to do with. Studying a subject like history will keep your mind active which can only be a good thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Concur.

Apply now and see where it gets you - you can always defer your application but if you defer applying and get knocked back at medical in a year or more's time, you'll be completely threaders. And unemployed.

Contrary to popular belief (particularly by my son, who's going to do a Masters & thinking about maybe doing a PhD), the idea of qualifications is to get the job you seek, rather than defer getting a bloody job.

You can indeed continue your education whilst serving, earning a wage, travelling, gaining life experience and developing your personal confidence, self-esteem and leadership experience.

• Like Like x 3
  6. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou very much for your helpful advice. It's nice to know there are educational opportunities to take later on. I was mainly thinking about additional a levels because i had some thoights about a potential officer application, at the moment although I have sufficient UCAS points the BTEC level 3 single award wouldn't count towards the application so I would need another a level if I wanted to keep that option open. Its just I would have to wait potentially two years if I was actually successful in getting into officer training after getting the extra a level which is 2021 and I am too bored lifeguarding haha

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  7. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks very much for your help ninja :) I am anticipating a bit of a delay because I have sorted as many medical documents as possible ready to send with my medical questionairre but there are some aspects of my medical history which may need explanation.
    It would be good continuing to learn whilst working as a marine because when I was just studying without a job during my GCSEs and a levels I had a habit of over focusing on the study and loosing perspective of why I was actually studying in the first place or what I would actually use the qualification for. I had this tunnel vision thing where it was hard for me to work and study at the same time which is one of the reasons I decided not to go to uni and get a job instead, I am a bit better at balancing stuff now but it is still a big character flaw