Eeeeeeeek not good : \

Taylor

Reaction score
just got a call from my afco

and basically he said my paperwork was meant to be sent off to lympstone today, and if my passport isnt here by next wednesday.. he will stop my application

thing is i had a few problems regarding my passport, for example i had to send off for a brand new birth certificate and that, and because its my first passport itll take up to 6 weeks and maybe even an interview, thats with check and send service aswell....

so it cant be fast tracked, and it definately wont be here by wednesday

isit more of an empty threat trying to motivate me to get my ass in gear and sort it, or do they really stop people from entering if they dont have there passport a month before joining?

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
erm im not sure myself because i am not that far through app but by what i have read they seem to be very strict on security and making sure you aint a terrorist so they might.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
isit more of an empty threat trying to motivate me to get my ass in gear and sort it, or do they really stop people from entering if they dont have there passport a month before joining?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is indeed a show stopper if you cannot produce a valid passport at your AFCO prior to entry.

It used to be acceptable to produce a receipt from the UK Passport Agency (UKPA) as proof of purchase but now an interview is required by UKPA before an application is processed, you cannot be spared from training so must have received your new passport prior to entry.

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i don't have a passport at the min didn't think i needed one so does that mean i wouldn't be able to start rt if i got there

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i don't have a passport at the min didn't think i needed one so does that mean i wouldn't be able to start rt if i got there

You would not be given your rail warrant to start RT if you do not produce your valid passport before or at your pre-entry brief.

Paragraph two of the letter calling you into the AFCO to sit the recruiting test states the following:

2. Passports
All candidates for the Naval Service must be in possession of a full UK, Commonwealth or Irish passport. If you do not possess such a document you will be requested to obtain one following successful interview and medical. Application forms for UK passports can be obtained from any Main Post Office.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I fail to see how anyone DOESN't have a passport personally.
Most useful form of ID in any given situation...

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I fail to see how anyone DOESN't have a passport personally.
Most useful form of ID in any given situation...

I only got one last year,
if you're 16 and have never been abroad,
what's the point?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not so long ago, the Navy would fund the process of obtaining a passport for those that did not posses one already.

Unfortunately, now that the taxpayer is expected to bail out the private sector Banks, without renumeration nor guarantee, you have to buy your own.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I only got one last year,
if you're 16 and have never been abroad,
what's the point?

It's THE form of ID used for most things. Regardless of going abroad I think it's silly not to have them.

Taylor

Reaction score
Ive already been giving my rail warrant and final briefing, which is why its so shocking they would tell me this now...

but i dont start rt till the 10th , so if i was to get my passport in time before that, and show it to my afco before the 10th would that be okay?

they seemed to set me a deadline of next wednesday on the fone... : \

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ive already been giving my rail warrant and final briefing, which is why its so shocking they would tell me this now...

but i dont start rt till the 10th , so if i was to get my passport in time before that, and show it to my afco before the 10th would that be okay?

they seemed to set me a deadline of next wednesday on the fone... : \

Your AFCO may well have to withdraw you from your provisional entry date and put you on a later one.

In addition to the Recruiting Test letter, your joining brief letter and Offer of Service letter also advise that you must be in possession of a passport as a condition of entry into Naval Service & most careers advisers tell you of this after your interview also. The best bet is get in touch with the UKPA to see how long it will take to fast track an application and then ask your AFCO whether that is acceptable.

Good luck.

New Threads