Effect of a 5 day hike

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Me and two friends are hiking in America over the summer and we have organised a practice 6/7 day 100 mile hike at the end of March.

I’m hoping to be on a prmc in May and was just wanting opinions as to whether this practice hike will have a negative effect on my gym test scores and if I’d be better off not doing it. Bearing in mind I’ll be in a significant calorie deficit for the entire week, whilst not being able to train the exercises. I’m sure my cv fitness will benefit, however my weaker area is the body weight exercises.

My current stats are:
Press ups 30
Sit ups 80
Pull ups 8

Clearly I have a lot of room for improvement (particularly press ups) and my goal is an A grade pass so want to be maxing out then all if possible.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi mate,

A 100 mile hike across America sounds hoofing! It will definitely be good phys too, my advice would be to just enjoy the experience, and don't feel the need to thrash yourself by going turbo fast or carrying ridiculous weight just because you're going on PRMC soon. There is no yomping on the PRMC so try to train specifically, smash the cardio and the body weight exercises.

You're saying you're hiking 100 miles over 6 or 7 days so you won't be able to do your body weight exercises, well my argument is yes you can still train your body weight exercises! Set yourself a small target such as doing 20 press ups every mile, 50 sit ups every time you take your kit off and max pull ups everytime you come across a branch thick enough to hold your body weight!

If you can perhaps try your hand at map reading too!

All the best.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mate,

A 100 mile hike across America sounds hoofing! It will definitely be good phys too, my advice would be to just enjoy the experience, and don't feel the need to thrash yourself by going turbo fast or carrying ridiculous weight just because you're going on PRMC soon. There is no yomping on the PRMC so try to train specifically, smash the cardio and the body weight exercises.

You're saying you're hiking 100 miles over 6 or 7 days so you won't be able to do your body weight exercises, well my argument is yes you can still train your body weight exercises! Set yourself a small target such as doing 20 press ups every mile, 50 sit ups every time you take your kit off and max pull ups everytime you come across a branch thick enough to hold your body weight!

If you can perhaps try your hand at map reading too!

All the best.

Cheers for the response.

Just to clarify as think I made it a little unclear, this 100 mile hike is just practice here in the UK. The real thing over in the US is 1,200 miles and we’re doing it from Mid june to end of August. Hoping to get prmc sorted in may before I head out then start RT once I’m back, will definitely use it as an opportunity to get good at map reading as well!

I like the idea of continuing with the body weight exercises though, will definitely do that and hopefully my numbers won’t have dropped too much after the week.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Taking a week off press ups and what not will not hinder your progress. It could potentially improve them.

Being in a calorie deficit shouldn’t affect things. If it does then it’s purely cause you’re hungry and have no fuel in the tank.

Enjoy your hike!

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I asked around because im doing 100miles in 48hrs in August for charity and was worried it would mess up things but was told to just enjoy it and the training. So long as I get the press ups etc involved somewhere the walk will help and be a decent goal (so long as im not a d!ck and injure myself :D)

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I asked around because I'm doing 100miles in 48hrs in August for charity and was worried it would mess up things but was told to just enjoy it and the training. So long as I get the press ups etc involved somewhere the walk will help and be a decent goal (so long as I'm not a d!ck and injure myself :D)

Damn, 100 miles in 48 hours is pretty impressive! Good luck with that. Where are you doing it?

Chelonian

Reaction score
...and we have organised a practice 6/7 day 100 mile hike at the end of March.

Nice one. It's good to mix up training. You don't mention where you're doing it but the north Devon and north Cornwall coastal path has multiple leg-shredding ascents and descents over several days. Similar terrain can only put endurance strength into legs.

As mentioned by @LighteningWolf keep the press ups ticking over. Navigation isn't a major issue on most coastal paths for obvious reasons but there are plenty of opportunities to read the ground and gain confidence with maps.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one. It's good to mix up training. You don't mention where you're doing it but the north Devon and north Cornwall coastal path has multiple leg-shredding ascents and descents over several days. Similar terrain can only put endurance strength into legs.

As mentioned by @LighteningWolf keep the press ups ticking over. Navigation isn't a major issue on most coastal paths for obvious reasons but there are plenty of opportunities to read the ground and gain confidence with maps.

We’re doing the South Downs way. Don’t think it’s particularly ‘leg shredding’ unfortunately, although it is more rolling hills so the legs should still get a decent workout. If we get to a suitable hill I might encourage the others to take a rest and smash a few hill sprints :D

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, 100 miles in 48 hours is pretty impressive! Good luck with that. Where are you doing it?
Thank you, moments of regret when my feet are in pieces but the pint I reward myself at the end makes it all worth it ;)
Going along the coastal path - Plymouth to Exmouth way

Chelonian

Reaction score
Need to get my paws on that then!

It's rather good. The entire route in 1:25,000 OS mapping but in convenient book format. Lightweight and only 240 × 135 mm in size. The book actually covers the path beyond Exmouth and on to Lyme Regis

The most physically demanding stretches of that walk are—from memory—Salcombe to Start Point, Kingswear to Brixham and Torquay to Teignmouth.

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's rather good. The entire route in 1:25,000 OS mapping but in convenient book format. Lightweight and only 240 × 135 mm in size. The book actually covers the path beyond Exmouth and on to Lyme Regis

The most physically demanding stretches of that walk are—from memory—Salcombe to Start Point, Kingswear to Brixham and Torquay to Teignmouth.
Will be nice to look at a map again, been about a year since I have had to thanks to Google Maps. Does always shock me when people (my generation in fairness) can't even understand a map on their phone. I thought people were taught how to use them, in terms of the basics, as a child but apparently not.

I think I am just going to have to switch off and just keep going. I can't imagine comfort or enjoyment will play a part of it until the last 10 miles ;)

Chelonian

Reaction score
I can't imagine comfort or enjoyment will play a part of it until the last 10 miles ;)

Assuming that you don't cross the River Exe at Starcross but at Topsham or Countess Wear, you'll be able to enjoy both the Turf Lock and the Double Locks pubs on that leg. Not to mention a stroll past CTCRM on the final stretch into Exmouth. :)

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming that you don't cross the River Exe at Starcross but at Topsham or Countess Wear, you'll be able to enjoy both the Turf Lock and the Double Locks pubs on that leg. Not to mention a stroll past CTCRM on the final stretch into Exmouth. :)
I like that kind of thinking, can't get dehydrated now can I ;) Just trying to persuade a mate into driving me down and back...proving hard work *text deleted* :D