Eight or more killed in New York

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
BBC News said:
A suspect has been arrested in New York after after a truck was driven along a cycle lane, killing at least eight people and injuring more than 12.

A man who emerged from the vehicle brandishing imitation guns was shot by a police officer and arrested.

The incident took place near the West Side Highway in Lower Manhattan.
Is it just me or are we becoming numb to these horrors?

Latest: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...ork-truck-attack-police-at-scene-in-manhattan

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Didn’t realise you had made a thread, I posted a new one.

It is almost like we are becoming desensitised towards it.

Just waiting for the onslaught of “solidarity” tweets and people changing Facebook status’s.

This reminded me of an argument I had the other day, typical lefty apologist saying I should feel compassion.
But as Jordan Peterson says, “Compassion is what the Mother Bear feels for its Cubs, when she’s tearing you apart for threatening them”.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Didn’t realise you had made a thread, I posted a new one.

It is almost like we are becoming desensitised towards it.

Just waiting for the onslaught of “solidarity” tweets and people changing Facebook status’s.

This reminded me of an argument I had the other day, typical lefty apologist saying I should feel compassion.
But as Jordan Peterson says, “Compassion is what the Mother Bear feels for its Cubs, when she’s tearing you apart for threatening them”.
The thing is people are misunderstanding the compassion message. We need to support those around us because, as I’m sure you all know, ISIS hope to divide society in the west and attract people to fight for them. However we can’t hug our way to defeating ISIS, sooner or later we need to fight.

Chelonian

Reaction score

I think you're right. Novelty is a key factor in ramping up fear.

Thinking back, the carnage in Northern Ireland was becoming less newsworthy in Great Britain by the early 1990s despite atrocities being commited against the civilian population and military personnel.

The New York incident appears to be a deliberate act, but for context I'd be interested to learn how many other multiple deaths associated with motor vehicles occurred in the USA yesterday.

The thing is people are misunderstanding the compassion message. We need to support those around us because, as I’m sure you all know, ISIS hope to divide society in the west and attract people to fight for them. However we can’t hug our way to defeating ISIS, sooner or later we need to fight.
You can't fight terrorists with conventional warfare. And a 'civilised' society can't fight a medieval one which has no compassion, without the obliteration seen in Syria and it remains to be seen whether that will lead to a functioning country.
There will always be crazy sad people with a car who seek their 5 mins of fame and a path to 'heaven'. As a civilised society we are allowing those who went to fight for Isis to return, and we are assisting them to rebuild their lives, in the hopes that it will give a better outcome than prison. It is very easy to take advantage of our 'values' and we feel outrage at our seeming seeming lack of strength in the face of threats, but I'd still rather live here than in say, N Korea and I'd rather see some expression of compassion for the dead than nothing, even if it is just on social media.

Teasly

Reaction score

Such tragic news again! Couldn't agree with you more, it's as though we've come to the ridiculous conclusion that we just have to accept that these kind of barbaric attacks are a part of our life now. I love the usual government advise of "we should just carry on as normal". We're like sitting ducks waiting for the next attack. Don't worry though, I'm sure there will be a minutes silence in Manhattan later with a few candles lit, to really stand up to terrorism like what normally happens - That will really show them .....

“Compassion is what the Mother Bear feels for its Cubs, when she’s tearing you apart for threatening them”.

Absolutely love that, haha!!

Chelonian

Reaction score
As a civilised society we are allowing those who went to fight for Isis to return, and we are assisting them to rebuild their lives, in the hopes that it will give a better outcome than prison.

Off topic here, but I firmly agree with the views of Rory Stewart MP on this specific matter.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the question
Are we losing the culture war?
You can answer yourselves

Latest posts

New Threads