Elbow issues from Rope Climbing

Reaction score
So I've been rope climbing, not excessively, a few climbs a week, normally just 1 day a week, about 6 climbs to work on technique.

When i was first down CTC i remember my elbows being so sore and heavy after doing rope climbs, especially after the climbs, i think a PTI said something about muscles clamping down on the Radial nerve due to excessive use of arms and thus improper technique

It's started again with my left elbow and has continued into my press ups and pull ups to the point of concern, where before it went away after a while and didn't interfere with anything else, it is this time, has anyone encountered this and dealt with it? it's probably more for the lads who've been down to CTC/Passed out of Lympstone as I'm one of the lucky few who has access to rope climbing a 20ft rope and during lock down

Thanks all.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's started again with my left elbow and has continued into my press ups and pull ups to the point of concern,

From memory there are stretching exercises for the forearm which some find effective. Someone else here might comment further.
Also from memory the standard PTI mantra is "Don't use your arms!" which is unhelpful but I get what they mean; technique is critical.

Unrelated to symptoms caused by rope climbing but consider trying one of those compression support tube sleeves which fit from elbow to wrist. The cheap ones sold at Boots are equally as effective as the so-called sport variety and might relieve symptoms. Adjust position to suit symptoms.

I am not a medical professional but just throwing an idea into the mix for consideration.

tube.jpg

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So I've been rope climbing, not excessively, a few climbs a week, normally just 1 day a week, about 6 climbs to work on technique.

When i was first down CTC i remember my elbows being so sore and heavy after doing rope climbs, especially after the climbs, i think a PTI said something about muscles clamping down on the Radial nerve due to excessive use of arms and thus improper technique

It's started again with my left elbow and has continued into my press ups and pull ups to the point of concern, where before it went away after a while and didn't interfere with anything else, it is this time, has anyone encountered this and dealt with it? it's probably more for the lads who've been down to CTC/Passed out of Lympstone as I'm one of the lucky few who has access to rope climbing a 20ft rope and during lock down

Thanks all.

I got the same years ago when CrossFit started coming to the UK, I fell for the meme and smashed loads of WODs
And rope climbs, The toll it took on my joints was sore.

Maybe take a week or 2 to rest and ice the joint, or use ice spray, ash some brufen.

Try warming up the joint properly And getting a good range of motion beforehand.

I had a bad elbow from martial arts training, I ruptured the joint years ago and I still Get twinges now and then. I try and cool it with freeze spray before and after trainjng

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Please consider not taking NSAIDs for soft tissue injuries and stop using ice as well.

Once you recovered consider doing bilateral assisted negative accentuated bicep curls (get a dumbbell up to 90 degrees with two hands -bilateral assisted-, from the 90 degrees bent position lower it down to a fully stretched position in 6 seconds -negative/eccentic accentuated- and back again to 90 degrees where you hold it for a count of 2 and next rep. Reps, sets, weight depend on your level/injury. Always leave a little in reserve and stop if experiencing pain.

Do this with a pronated and supinated grip (palms facing down/up). Keep your elbows tucked to your side, slightly in front of your hip.

D47M0R

Reaction score
Appreciate the rapid responses lads, yeah already got a sleeve on order and ibuprofen arriving tomorrow, I will follow that common sense approach, rest and ice, and train everything but, a lonely 2 weeks ahead, what? -nailbiting-
I don't know much about rope climbing.

But what I can personally recommend are Powerballs.

Very good for strengthening of the forearm muscles and rehabilitation (They have an entire section on their website about why its good for elbow rehabilitation).

They are reasonably priced too. With the Autostart Pro (Has an RPM counter) on sale at about 30 quid (cheaper than the one without a counter at the mo).

Reaction score
I don't know much about rope climbing.

But what I can personally recommend are Powerballs.

Very good for strengthening of the forearm muscles and rehabilitation (They have an entire section on their website about why its good for elbow rehabilitation).

They are reasonably priced too. With the Autostart Pro (Has an RPM counter) on sale at about 30 quid (cheaper than the one without a counter at the mo).

I think i might just get one, interesting stuff

smashlegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@mace I agree with your emphasis on bicep curls. Although correct technique is heavily focused on not using your arms, you are still using them at certain points and your Bodyweight is below the elbows for the most part. For lads who’ve not really touched the weights the conditioning in their arms won’t be anywhere near to lads who have. Thus their arms in general will be more sore, take longer to recover, and certain areas will take the brunt of that. And as RT has a steep learning curve and intensity is always high you want to make sure that your body is well conditioned so you can recover between sessions.

mace

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@mace I agree with your emphasis on bicep curls. Although correct technique is heavily focused on not using your arms, you are still using them at certain points and your Bodyweight is below the elbows for the most part.
What I meant is the descending, that can be a problem (eccentric contractions of the elbow flexors).
Unless you have gloves and sliding down fast.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What I meant is the descending, that can be a problem (eccentric contractions of the elbow flexors).
Unless you have gloves and sliding down fast.
You still use your legs to grip the rope, the biggest failing in rope climbing is poor techniques and not utilising your legs enough.