Eligibility

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Nath91, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Nath91

Nath91 Member

Hi guys,

A message for all aspiring officers and ninja.

1. Purely out of curiousity, why has the UCAS points needed changed from 180 to 75? Is this due to the new grading system?

2. I see that the age limit can be waived if you have had previous naval experience. Although very limited from being in RM basic training, is this sufficient for a 27 year old to have the age waived?

I know it’s probably only a pipe dream and that my age is now the wrong side of 25, but I thought I’d show my interest for definitive answers.

As I believe my experience within the police for the past 4 years would be beneficial to my RM career, whether that’s as an officer or as a reservist!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

1. Yes. The new UCAS tariff applies to A levels gained after 2016. The old 180 tariff applies to A levels earned prior to 2016. The calculator is here: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/ucas-calculator.99238/

2. If there is a shortage of viable applicants, some RN commissioned posts may exceptionally be considered for an age waiver. In my personal experience this usually applies to those who started their application whilst eligible. Unless a former trained rank, I doubt two attempts at RT would cut the mustard. I've not heard of direct entry Royal Marine YOs being given age waivers as we usually have twice as many successful applicants as jobs available, but am happy to be corrected. Where's the reference?

I believe RMR Officers are selected up to age 30 - after becoming a trained rank, subject to unit requirements. It depends if there's an unfilled G4 billet.

3. Nath91

Nath91 Member

Ninja,

Thanks for the quick response, I have got 190 UCAS points so I question why I never originally joined as an officer, but I guess everything happens for a reason!

Attached below is the age waiver paragraph:

Attached Files:

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I suspect the age waiver applies for trained ranks but would be interested to hear what the call centre say if you call them to ask.

Hate to be a prophet of doom but my gut feeling is that may just be a poorly worded enticement to get trained ranks back in.

I'll also call AIB tomorrow to see if there's an unannounced policy change and report back.

5. Nath91

Nath91 Member

Hi,

I called the call centre yesterday but they were not much help and advised me to call my AFCO.

Your gut feeling is probably right! I wouldn't get my hopes up either, I just like to know I have options available!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Just to confirm, for untrained re-entrants, an age waiver is only a viable option for for consideration to those already in the recruiting pipeline who fall outside the eligibility criteria prior to entry, having already successfully completed selection.