Endurance Commando test

DamageInc85

Reaction score
Guys,

How long is the endurance course part of the final commando tests? I found the following excerpt on wikipedia, I've read it about 50 times and I'm still not sure how to interperate it.

The Endurance course is a six mile, (9.65 km), course across rough terrain at Woodbury Common near Lympstone, which includes tunnels, pipes, wading pools, and an underwater culvert. The course ends with a four-mile (6 km) run back to CTCRM. Followed by a marksmanship test, where the recruit must hit 6 out of 10 shots at a target representing a fig. 11 target at 200 m.

So, is the 6km run back to CTCRM included in the 9.65km first mentioned?
Or, is it a 9.65km endurance course followed by a 6km run (ie. 15.65km in total)?
I know what I want the answer to be.

Cheers.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I THINK that it is 6 miles in total, 2 miles of tunnels etc and then a 4 mile run. Dont hold me to it though.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Guys,

How long is the endurance course part of the final commando tests? I found the following excerpt on wikipedia, I've read it about 50 times and I'm still not sure how to interperate it.

The Endurance course is a six mile, (9.65 km), course across rough terrain at Woodbury Common near Lympstone, which includes tunnels, pipes, wading pools, and an underwater culvert. The course ends with a four-mile (6 km) run back to CTCRM. Followed by a marksmanship test, where the recruit must hit 6 out of 10 shots at a target representing a fig. 11 target at 200 m.

So, is the 6km run back to CTCRM included in the 9.65km first mentioned?
Or, is it a 9.65km endurance course followed by a 6km run (ie. 15.65km in total)?
I know what I want the answer to be.

Cheers.
You will be pleased to know its the first option. The actual course is 2 miles and you run 4 miles back.

I did some of the course the other day, me and a mate drove there and spent 2 hours on woodbury looking for it! Its a good laugh!

DamageInc85

Reaction score
Thanks lads, that's what I wanted to hear. 73 minutes seems a fairly generous amount of time to do less than 10 km though doesn't it?
Although I guess if you're carrying 32 lbs of kit, soaked to the skin and hauling your ass through tunnels you'll need all the time you can get!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks lads, that's what I wanted to hear. 73 minutes seems a fairly generous amount of time to do less than 10 km though doesn't it?
Although I guess if you're carrying 32 lbs of kit, soaked to the skin and hauling your ass through tunnels you'll need all the time you can get!
Yeah I hardly doubt you'll be getting through the tunnels as fast as you can run!

It seems to be the hardest test to me personally.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hardly doubt you'll be getting through the tunnels as fast as you can run!

It seems to be the hardest test to me personally.
I'd say the hardest test is the 30 miler,
I think that will be the toughest.

Joe

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
30 Miler is quite tough. A lot of speed marching though up hills. You do a lot of jogging across flat land and down hills, so it's not a constant running pace the entire time. This way, you at least have time to catch your breathe when walking.

Endurance test would be difficult as well. 32 pounds on your back is a lot of weight. Once you go through the lovely commando sheep dip, your webbing is going to feel like it weighs more like 45 pounds. Not to mention wet combat boots. And remember, finish it all off with the shooting range at the end.

PB706k

Reaction score
I found the endurance the hardest by a long way, (but I dislike running at the best of times!). As mentioned as soon as u get in peters pool thats it, the weight youre carrying is about doubled but thats not what makes it the worst, I found it the only true individual test. After the sheep dip people get spread out and you usually end up on your own for most of the run so its a mental battle to keep going and not slow down *text deleted* *text deleted* shafted! the 9 miler is a troop thing the 30 miler is a section thing so you've always got your mates there to keep you going, and even on the tarzan assault youre never too far from people cheering you on! plus its the first one you're absolutely bricking it but if you pass it, it kinda gives u the confidence boost you need to get through the rest :laugh:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I found the endurance the hardest by a long way, (but I dislike running at the best of times!). As mentioned as soon as u get in peters pool thats it, the weight youre carrying is about doubled but thats not what makes it the worst, I found it the only true individual test. After the sheep dip people get spread out and you usually end up on your own for most of the run so its a mental battle to keep going and not slow down *text deleted* *text deleted* shafted! the 9 miler is a troop thing the 30 miler is a section thing so you've always got your mates there to keep you going, and even on the tarzan assault youre never too far from people cheering you on! plus its the first one you're absolutely bricking it but if you pass it, it kinda gives u the confidence boost you need to get through the rest :laugh:
Yeah that's exactly why I think it would be the hardest. But we will see!

What time do you get if you don't mind telling?

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say the hardest test is the 30 miler,
I think that will be the toughest.

Joe
my friend did the 30 miler a year ago. he told me it was hard but he said it was mostly walk/jog uphill and run downhill which made it slightly easy

PB706k

Reaction score
Yeah that's exactly why I think it would be the hardest. But we will see!

What time do you get if you don't mind telling?
It was something like 70:57! :embarrest: Im toss at that sort of running! did the tarzan assault in 10:40 tho which I thought was pretty good, I liked that its like a rest day inbetween the 9 miler and 30 miler *text deleted*. Oddly enough a large proportion of the guys who said they found the endurance easy said that they thought the tarzan was the hardest! Dreading having to do the endurance again...:sad:

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It was something like 70:57! :embarrest: Im toss at that sort of running! did the tarzan assault in 10:40 tho which I thought was pretty good, I liked that its like a rest day inbetween the 9 miler and 30 miler *text deleted*. Oddly enough a large proportion of the guys who said they found the endurance easy said that they thought the tarzan was the hardest! Dreading having to do the endurance again...:sad:
Oh you're still on the Commando tests?

Good luck then!! All the best, I hope you crack it. :)

PB706k

Reaction score
No I picked up an injury during them and got discharged after 8 months in and out of hunter, got prmc to rejoin in september tho!