Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

EU vote

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by ThreadpigeonsAlpha, Jan 16, 2019.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So with the EU vote with the MPs voting against leaving the EU. Discuss:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46887188

Donald Tusk and Jean Claude Junckers can suck my plums. Absolute toilets.

There will be riots in the streets if we don’t leave.

• Like Like x 7
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Aside from a minority of MPs the UK parliament appears ideologically opposed to Brexit and they will do whatever they can to stop it happening. Neither Theresa May nor Jeremy Corbyn want it to happen.

I'll put money on a third referendum about EU membership being held.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    While I agree with @ThreadpigeonsAlpha about the implications, I can not help but think @Chelonian is spot on.

For the first time in my life I am genuinely threaders at our politicians. Their lack of a coordinated approach will do harm to our great country and no matter what the eventual outcome, one side or the other will feel seen off and start throwing TVs through shop windows.

I am normally an upbeat sort of bloke but feel a bit like Eeyore this morning...:(

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheBreak

TheBreak New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I often wonder what kids in the future will think of this political mess when they come to study it. I can quite honestly say it’s a shambles.

I also find it quite embarrassing to work for Gov right now. As a civil servant that spends time with commercial partners I feel like a fool. I can’t answer questions on it, no one knows what will happen, and we get just as much guidance as is published on the news!

Quite honestly, removing this Northern Ireland ‘backstop’ and maintaining an open border is going to be difficult. I can’t see how the good Friday agreement and Brexit can coexist.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wessex

Wessex Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    There will be riots on the streets if we DO leave. Don’t assume that your opinion is the same as everyone else’s.

What’s wrong with another referendum, this time with the actual facts and no lies/omissions?

• Disagree. Disagree. x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

It's absolutely ridiculous! People voted to leave that corrupt institution, in what was supposed to be an opinion poll I believe, that turd Cameron quits and we get stuck with wet lettuce May running the show, she makes constant balls ups so the lefties see their chance to sway public opinion toward no brexit, now they've completely gone and crapped all over what little has been done towards a successful brexit over the past few months, making this country look like an absolute joke. *text deleted* it makes a mockery of democracy too, this 'let's keep voting on it until we get the answer we want' method that has been employed.

This government is an absolute effing joke

• Like Like x 4
  7. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    A referendum on what exactly? Leave/stay...deal/no deal...customs union/Irish backstop. I am also not sure what the actual facts are...who decides what is fact and what is spin?

• Like Like x 4
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I blame David Cameron.
    With the confidence of what he regarded as a victory in the Scotland referendum he attempted to use the same tactic to silence troublesome elements in his own party. I don't think he was ever interested in the 'will of the people' other than how it would suit his political ambitions. If Cameron thought that the referendum result would be Leave I truly believe he wouldn't have called it.

Incidentally, our first referendum on membership of what was then called the EC was on 5 June 1975. Result: Remain.

If a third referendum this year is deemed undemocratic because it defies the will of the people then so was our most recent one on 22 June 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  9. glos94

glos94 Well-Known Member

Riots because we did what the country voted to do?

May is infuriating, she thinks her stubbornness to resign is admirable but it's just ridiculous now.

On 2nd referendum:
    The argument the annoys me the most is the age one. Old people have died and more young people have become eligible. So what? You could say that after every single general election.
    Also those complaining that young people are being dragged out of EU against their will. Please explain to me why a snowflake who's been living off their parents and never had a job has more right to vote than someone who has worked hard all their life paid taxes and votes for the future of their children/grandchildren?
    Might as well just have a referendum of remain vs remain.

Have another referendum in he future fine. But you have to implement the result of the first one. How can you say brexit has failed if it never happens?

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What facts and figures do you need?

The EU is an anti democratic behemoth of a bureaucracy. It wasn’t voted in. It proven hard to vote out. They aren’t elected, but appointed. They are being paid more money then our PM. Your voice will be drowned out by a huge constituent. We can’t create, debate or appeal laws made there, but an unelected rich elite.

If you believe in Democracy than you should be voting to leave that absolute shambles.

The country voted to leave. The majority of people wanted to leave. The mainstream media propaganda can’t sway the public and stop manipulating the public, the BBC receives money from the EU. They ahould he charged under the Treason Act.

The EU has ignored enough people and referendums to create this corrupt facade of democracy, UK want to leave as do a lot of other countries. The EU is scared this will be the straw that broke the camels back and the whole house of cards will come crashing down.

• Like Like x 7
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 5
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    “From the Danes’ rejection of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992, the EU has used a mixture of propaganda, false concessions and outright ignoring results to override these democratic ‘mistakes’, as it sees them.

In 2001 for example, Ireland voted against the Nice Treaty, but just over a year later was ordered by the EU to re-run the vote, just as the Danes had been. With a massive influx of EU political assistance, the ‘Yes’ campaign won, and the Treaty was passed. For the EU, re-running referendums until it achieves the result it wants, is simply part and parcel of governing.”

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  12. rkec

rkec Member

I've never understood why there needs to be a border? There are different tax rates on the different sides of the border at the moment and there is no hard border.

If people are saying that 70m people must submit to any deal to avoid a hard border so that 2000 odd cranks start fighting again. We'll that sure sounds to me like terrorism has won.

The border issue is a complete red herring, nobody is going to put up a hard border.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rkec

rkec Member

We best stay in then to avoid violence and getting our properties damaged. Instead of elections and stuff, maybe we should just all pile into a stadium and knock seven bells out of each other.

14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Ashamed.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. Moonduster

Moonduster Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    A couple of months ago I thought that a 2nd referendum would probably result in a Remain win.

I now believe that the EU and our crappy elective representatives (and the media) have pi*text deleted*ed everyone off to such an extent that Leave would win with a bigger majority.... bring it on!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Boggy

Boggy Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    There will be riots on the streets if we DO/DON'T leave , take your pick, such is the divisive nature of a referendum. In a modern democracy it is a cowardly device for governments to avoid taking responsibility for the most complicated issues. David Cameron's actions in having NO plan on how to govern in the event of a vote for Brexit, having instigated the bloody thing in the first place, and then flouncing off in a huff, was a dereliction of his duty as PM.
    The EU has become an unpleasant, self-serving mafia made up mostly of politicians who cannot get elected to their own national parliaments or who have been booted out of them, and gravy train riding bureaucrats - which is a shame because it was a good idea once.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rkec

rkec Member

I have no problem with this. But for it to happen then those backing it must put it to the people at a general election and say if you vote us into power then we will have another referendum. The same thing Cameron did because UKIP were going to hurt the Tories.

The only party that said they'd have a second ref at the last election almost got wiped out.

Plus the option can no longer be remain, it has to be rejoin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

For the avoidance of any doubt, this is my personal position on Brexit:

I voted Remain but I truly don't care if Brexit happens or not.
    At my age, 58, it is probable that it will be the younger members of my tribe who will either reap the benefit or suffer the consequences, whatever happens. Arguably, my age should have disqualified me from voting on the matter. Some certainly think so.

But I enjoy a debate and I'm happy to be devil's advocate.

It's a pleasing image but thinking about it, modern flat screens probably aren't such effective public disorder missiles as the heavy old CRT television sets were. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Moonduster

Moonduster Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent

My god... please tell me that life continues beyond 58, not far away now!

• Like Like x 4
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It certainly does! I won't share the details here though. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1