Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

EU vote

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by ThreadpigeonsAlpha, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Moonduster

Moonduster Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It was actually the EEC. The European Economic Community.... that is what we joined, not an all encompasing power hungry, undemocratic body.

The next armed conflict in Europe will be some poor sod of a (former) state trying to extract itself from it!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

EU, EEC, EC, Common Market...
    Anyone remember the Judean People's Front? And the People's Front of Judea? :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

Not to mention the Popular People's Front of Judea!;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The former New Labour Home Secretary David Blunkett was interviewed yesterday evening on BBC Radio 4's PM show.

He predicted another referendum in May this year. For sure we are awash with media comment and speculation but he was quite specific. I don't agree with his politics but he is very well connected and politically well informed. It will be interesting to see what develops.

5. R

R Well-Known Member

No doubt thats the way things are going with the political class and everyone on brussels payroles pushing it so hard, its not going to resolve anything either result. Project fear is going to kick into hyper drive all over again -banghead- Next election will be interesting aswell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. KenDoll

KenDoll Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

The EU gives funds to the BBC? Would never have guessed when you have this crap going on in their political 'interviews'

An interview by Andrew Neil discussing Brexit with Jacob Rees-Mogg. More like an attemptive grilling and constant interruption so he cant get his point across properly or to defend himself.

I have watched a number of these interviews and all they are is attacks rather than discussions with pro Brexit politicians. The woman at the start is even worse to watch interviewing people!

You can see as Jacob Rees-Mogg attempts to answer, Andrew Neil tries to disrupt and talk over him it is so poor. I'm surprised JRM kept his cool, I thought he responded incredibly well to the questions.

The BBC is quite clearly anti Brexit and of course, they would be! Without getting my tinfoil hat out... the EU via the BBC is certainly trying to brainwash the country. The same company we pay tv license for... it should be completely unbiased as a news channel.

Hard Brexit please! Mays plan B will still not be good enough. Having cross party discussions with both parties who voted remain is not going to improve our current proposal.

• Like Like x 6
  7. R

R Well-Known Member

Starting to sound like Jeremy Corbin has just pulled the pin on a second referendum link.

Seems he has forgotten that 60% of Labour-held constituencies voted leave? -banghead-

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Comrade Corbyn's only focus is a general election. I'm wondering if he's calculating that the fickle pendulum of public opinion is swinging towards Brexit apathy.

Arguably the only realistic way of 'delivering the will of the people' as expressed in the 2017 referendum is via the government's negotiated deal or a no-deal exit on 29 March. Both will have consequences but those exit options are the only way it will happen. Whatever one thinks of Theresa May, she appears determined to deliver on that 2017 referendum result.

A delay in the exit date by extending Article 50 even by a few months and/or another referendum could realistically result in the UK remaining in the EU.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

image (3).jpg
    Makes you think.

42991339-10158047946869657-5757847472143597568-n.jpg

-banghead--banghead--banghead-

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. R

R Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what they are attempting to do...alot of people in the ruling class are on the EU's teet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Rover

Rover Moderator

A case of self before service!!:mad:

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I voted to remain in the EU at the 2017 referendum but I find myself becoming increasingly incensed by the political establishment's determined attempt to disregard the result and sabotage what was promised.

Few politicians openly say it—although Tony Blair has come close to doing so—but there appears to be a fundamental feeling in the political establishment that we were too ill-informed and lacking in comprehension to be trusted to make the 'correct' decision.

Very few categories of UK citizens are barred from voting; some of those in HMP custody being one of the exceptions. The right to vote is a precious thing and only a treasured aspiration for the citizens of many countries. A blatant attack on the credibility of the UK's democratic vote is arguably a bigger threat than the consequences of Brexit.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Camz

Camz Member

Similar to yourself, I voted to Remain and still believe we should not leave.

I actually agree that it is something that never should have been trusted to the public population to make a decision on. If the 'cleverest' people in Britain can't agree what is right for the country, what hope do the rest of us have on making an informed decision.

As for the outcome now, ideally I would like a second referendum as I am fairly sure it would be a 60/40 Remain win minimum.
    Other than that, I think a hard brexit is a better option than the current tabled deal. Even if it means having to get a flight to Frankfurt to get a beer with most of my friends.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 10
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The people shouldn’t be trusted with taking their country out of an undemocractic power with no accountability that the people didn’t vote for, can’t leave, can’t challenge and can’t hold those responsible to account?

This is what democracy is. Democracy is the will of the people. Not the will of the elite, not the will of the government, not the will of appointed bodies of power without accountability.

Can you think of a point in time where something similar happened? I will give you a clue, it was the 1930s.

The information is out there to be received. Don’t insult leave voters by saying we don’t understand. I made my choice. I knew exactly what I was voting for. And I seem to be in a much better position of debate against the remainers in this thread, and I am still waiting for any credible counter arguments. If anything I am more informed than the remainers I have met.

We should never have been put into this position. The EU behemoth has slowly crept in and stuck its claws in a lot of pies and infested itself without our democracy like a cancer.

We went to the EU to ask for reform, several times. They said no. So what do you expect us to do?
    We can’t even sort our own government out let alone adding another bureaucractic level of rich elite that we can’t vote out.

The EU is a shambles of an establishment.

Don’t be so naive to the Mainstream media who constantly scaremonger and try to manipulate the public’s perception. No one can predict what happens in the voting booth.

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  15. Camz

Camz Member

Can you give some examples of why the EU is actually bad or is it just that they are evil and unelected?
    Preferably while also taking into account the absolute shambles that is going on by your democratically elected (since this seems mightily important to yourself) parliament.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kalashnikov30

Kalashnikov30 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    You could just scroll back through the thread, no need for people to type it all out again.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Camz

Camz Member

I have, there are some valid points about security and and an open border. However, I feel pretty safe in the UK, dunno about you?
    I see literally nothing useful about the economical impact that the vote had and will continue to have on leaving. First hand I know the damage it is causing in the City. In case you aren't aware Financial services is the biggest contributor to our GDP and is all ready feeling the pain. Multiple banks are moving /moved HQ and services, and others are planning on moving significant services to Frankfurt and other locations. As mentioned, multiple colleagues and friends have been told to prepare for "voluntary" relocation.

My biggest problem with the whole referendum is the fake news that was literally everywhere. My Facebook was a complete cesspit with Vote Leave propaganda being shared everywhere with blatant false facts. If anyone questioned it, BOOM. Anger; Rage; EU is Evil; Juncker is Sauron/Hitler/Insert your preferred hated figure.

The fact that there was no commission (someone mentioned this previously) to hand out facts and monitor both sides of the argument was a complete shambles. I still get people telling me fake news like the Pound is stronger today than it was before the vote.

18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I just gave one in my post. I have given several in previous posts.

Ah, so you recognise that the Conservative government was elected, democratically? And can still be held accountable?

What shambles are you referring to? Are you referring to the Brexit vote? Or the blatant bias given by the BBC and mainstream media (that receive money from the EU...)?

If you aren’t happy about our current government, we have procedures in place that can change and hold those accountable. We can vote in and out a party, the Government has procedures in place for the event of a lack of confidence, a change of leadership, and to call a General Election.
    None of which the EU can do.

And in the case of Scotland, we are living under 3 Governmental Systems. Imagine if that time money and effort was better spent?

We already struggle to use, understand and hold accountable our democractically elected government. And you want to continue with a third level, that isn’t democractic and can’t be challenged, appealed or new laws created?

We have 650 Seats in the House of Commons for 66.1 Million people.
    The EU has 751 seats for 512.6 Million people.

It’s hard enough for your voice to be heard in our system, you are drowned out and never heard in the EU, unless it fits their agenda.

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do you feel safe in the UK? With the rise of knife attacks, acid attacks, and the risk of home bred terrorism and extremism breeding in our prisons?

You mean the big corporations who have money invested in the EU or received money from the EU?
    You mean big companies that want cheap labour through increasing the work population? Here’s a wee economic tip:

More people than Jobs = wages go down
    More jobs than people = wages go up

Stop using Facebook for your News then. I didn’t get my facts or form my opinion from Social Media. Just because you did, doesn’t mean the opposition did.

Likewise, it’s incresibly frustrating to see the bias and agenda towards the EU through public bodies, tax paying people funding it, yet the still receive handouts from the EU and lie and manipulate to the people.

How do you think people like in other countries round the world? It’s not hard, you get a visa or you apply for citizenship.

As for economical issues, we won’t be constrained by the EU for certain issues. And everyone else in the world manages to trade....
    if anything it will allow us to trade with anyone we want to and not just who the EU seems fit.

The commission would be bias and have an agenda. I already dealt with that Commission idea in an earlier post.

Why do you think we never went into the Euro?
    Why do you think other countries are sat by watching us, because they want to leave the EU aswell?

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Camz

Camz Member

You keep complaining of bias and that you didn't believe Facebook news. Plenty did. Plenty that went and voted for something basing their opinion on lies. Lies funded illegally by the Leave campaign by the way.

If we managed to resist the Euro, how about we got more serious about tackling issues such as freedom of movement before spitting the dummy out.

You also keep saying the EU is bad without giving any actual reasons as to why it is? Apart from being undemocratic... Not sure that bothers me as someone living in a western country that isn't going to turn into a dictatorship any time soon.

If we do leave. Literally everything will still need to be done to EU standards and laws anyway. Freedom of movement won't be going away either... also we will still be paying them Billions by the way.

If you can think of something and back it up with numbers I'll come back to the thread.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1