Evening all new to site looking to be added to parent and partners

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Late to the party on this one as they pass out in under two weeks! I see you have been added to the P&Ps sub forum, so please introduce yourself to the others on there.

Alan

redsue32

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site. My son started his basic training 12th Nov 2018. Heard briefly from him a couple of times and he sounded shattered and couldn't wait to come home. He's put so much into getting to where he is I'm worried about him and could do with some reassurance he's ok and bit of advice about what he's going through. ?!

Caversham

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site. My son started his basic training 12th Nov 2018. Heard briefly from him a couple of times and he sounded shattered and couldn't wait to come home. He's put so much into getting to where he is I'm worried about him and could do with some reassurance he's ok and bit of advice about what he's going through. ?!
I've just checked and you should have access.

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
He's put so much into getting to where he is I'm worried about him and could do with some reassurance he's ok and bit of advice about what he's going through. ?!

Welcome. Hopefully others will chip in with their own experiences. It's worth remembering that your lad is in a safe and highly regulated environment. Arguably much safer than, say, university halls of residence. Every second of a Recruit's day is accounted for and welfare is a big issue. Not that he'll notice, obviously. :)

redsue32

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I have access to site. Would just appreciate some reassurance and more information about what the troop is going through

redsue32

Reaction score
Thank you. I know despite all his dedication and training he's finding it tough. Me too! So thank you

Caversham

Reaction score
Thanks Alan. I have access to site. Would just appreciate some reassurance and more information about what the troop is going through
Have a look at all the other threads on the sub forum from the P&Ps who are currently further down the line than your lad. We are also blessed that we have a lot of parents whose sons have passed out of RT , but have stayed around to pass on their knowledge to people such as yourself.

Just ask away.

Alan

Last edited:

Penguins

Reaction score
Hi my son is in 265 and it’s easy to say but try not to worry too much they are constantly tired and hungry. When you get to family’s day you will have a great time but more importantly appreciate why he is so tired. Good luck to you and your nod and fire away with any questions you have as someone will always be able to help x

redsue32

Reaction score
Penguins thank you for the reassurance so hard to hear when your boy is down but kind of understand why. So looking forward to family's day and until then will try to keep him positive. Reading other parents posts really helps. Early dYs and sure we'll both get used to it x

guffas

Reaction score
@redsue32, welcome to the site, I’m not sure anything can prepare them for the journey training takes them on (or parents and partners). They are shattered for the first few weeks but as he gets into a routine with his admin it will get better. Family day is great and something to aim for.
We found breaking the weeks down and not looking to far ahead worked for our Nod and us!
Best of luck ;)

redsue32

Reaction score
@redsue32, welcome to the site, I’m not sure anything can prepare them for the journey training takes them on (or parents and partners). They are shattered for the first few weeks but as he gets into a routine with his admin it will get better. Family day is great and something to aim for.
We found breaking the weeks down and not looking to far ahead worked for our Nod and us!
Best of luck ;)

Thanks for the reassurance. I think family day will help and hopefully I will get more chance to chat on the phone. Not sure whether the brief calls are due to limited time because of not keeping on top of his admin? He's good at what he does but as he's a bit of a perfectionist he's a bit slow.

All the replies on here have really made me feel much more positive and given me ideas for helping support him.

Thank you

Andy2hips

Reaction score
Welcome to a whole new world. Hmm should be a song that haha... you will find this time abit of a rollercoaster for him and you but sooo worth the knowledge and experiences. Good luck on both your journeys xx

Chelonian

Reaction score
Not sure whether the brief calls are due to limited time because of not keeping on top of his admin?

His every second will be accounted for and his days packed with activity. For him, hours will feel like seconds. Perhaps the opposite applies to those waiting at home for a call or a text. :)

It's common for all Recruits to have communication devices confiscated by the Training Team, particularly in the early stages of training. It's commonly considered to be a punishment for a Troop misdemeanour (collective responsibility, etc.) but like most 'punishments' there will be a training value. Confiscation of devices means that the lads have to talk to one another and not be isolated staring at a screen. Arguably one of the biggest adjustments for Partners & Parents is to suddenly not be in almost constant contact with their Nod.