Ex-army infantry, joining RMR, I think

stevman

Reaction score
Hello everybody

New to the forum, a bit about myself and my aspirations.

I'm 30 years old married, a father of 3, and a homeowner. I left the Army infantry in 2014 after 4 years of service. Since then I have worked various jobs and local businesses. I've stayed physically active, been a competitive weightlifter and Jiu-jitsu Practioner with plenty of cardio and calisthenics for good measure.

Straight to the point I miss being in the forces, I left because battalion life became monotonous, mundane, and combat for us as a battalion was finished. After a lot of hard thinking, I've decided to try out for the RMR but also 4Para is at the back of my mind, in the hope that it can give me that back in some form. I would love to go full-time RM but I'm struggling with the strain it would place on the family. One half of me is a selfish bugger that wants to "follow my dreams" the other half wants to "Do the right thing". I must've gone over the pros and cons of both a million times and I'm going for RMR with the impression (at least from what I've heard) that RMR can still be very fulfilling. I just hope there are lots of opportunities for postings and ops etc and not just a couple of days a month of Death by PowerPoint

Chelonian

Reaction score
One half of me is a selfish bugger that wants to "follow my dreams" the other half wants to "Do the right thing".
Welcome. Life and circumstances have a knack of making compromise sensible. :)
Plenty of information, comment and robust debate here so just dive in.

If you are also seriously considering 4 PARA take a squiz here:

Either here or there will assist you in making an informed decision.

stevman

Reaction score
Welcome. Life and circumstances have a knack of making compromise sensible. :)
Plenty of information, comment and robust debate here so just dive in.

If you are also seriously considering 4 PARA take a squiz here:

Either here or there will assist you in making an informed decision.
It certainly does mate
I've applied for both two reasons. #1 In the event one might fall through perhaps the other will serve (for whatever reason) and #2 Sort of like when you flip a coin you soon realize what your preference was all along

New Threads