Ex-RM PTI- Fintan Circuit

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Fintan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Fintan

Fintan Member

As explained in a previous thread, I was fortunate enough to start taking MMA classes at a centre where the fitness work was conducted by a man who had previously been a PTI in the Royal Marines for 15 years. He's given me a 5 week programme prior to my PRMC (21st April) and after dabbling in it for half a week and conducting my first proper week all this week, I think the circuit training aspect could be of a huge help to everyone on here.

These circuits are absolutely disgusting, of the 4 times I've done them so far, I've thrown up on 3 of them. They're designed to destroy your legs and make you feel like *text deleted**text deleted*, but afterwards your lungs feel as big as hot air balloons and you can definitely walk with your head held high. It works like this, using my programme as an example:

Monday - 3 sets, 15 reps per exercise.
    Tuesday - 4 sets, 15 reps per exercise.
    Wednesday - 5 sets, 15 reps per exercise.
    Thursday - 6 sets, 15 reps per exercise.

At the start of a new week, the reps increase by 5 per exercise. If you physically cannot complete it with the reps given, repeat the previous week until you're ready to move on.

[*]Circuit[/*]

You start by placing two cones roughly 30 metres apart; this is best done on a football/rugby pitch for reasons explained later. Each exercise is performed at the same cone, the cone that you start from.

There are to be 9 exercises in the circuit, chosen by you with the Upper Body/Abs/Legs split, as shown on the RM exercise tool.

You start by doing your first 15 reps of the first exercise, then sprint to the cone 30m away and back. You then perform 15 reps of the second exercise and sprint to the cone and back. Repeat this for all 9 exercises without pause. After the 9th exercise is completed, you must now do a best effort run of roughly two football/rugby pitches ( Obviously easier if you happen to be on a pitch!). It doesn't matter if you're stumbling along with your dinner down your front, as long as it's best effort!

That's one set. Start your stopwatch and rest for roughly 2 minutes. Complete all sets then curl up into a ball, breathe through your *text deleted**text deleted* and silently curse the gods as you try to remember how to respire.

The former PTI explained to me that not only will this improve your general fitness, it's incredibly useful for RT as it closely resembles a lot of the circuits done there. Apparently, after you've been beasted to within an inch of your life in the gym, the PTI's quite often instruct you to do a "Camp circuit", which is basically just a run around the camp at best effort. If it's good enough for RT recruits then it's certainly good enough for me!

Hope this has helped anyone, I know it was a bit of a lengthy explanation. Even if you don't want to copy it completely, I hope people will find a useful way to incorporate it into their own fitness regimes.

Train hard, fight easy. :fight:

• Like Like x 26
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 5
  2. Mack15

Mack15 New Member

Ive been shown this my a Cpl at the gym, Its a great way to get stamina up and good for interval because of the sprints.
    Hard work though.

3. royal1

royal1 Member

Looks great mate my home circuit is like that, and I too have seen my food again haha. What excercises do you use mate?

4. Fintan

Fintan Member

I've struggled this week, so I'll be repeating week 1 next week as well. My exercises for both weeks are:

Marine Press-ups
    Sit-ups
    Squats

Close-arm Press-ups
    Elbow-to-knees
    Burpees

Wide-arm Press-ups
    Leg raises
    Tuc Jumps

5. Stand By

Stand By New Member

oh yes!!...now here comes a circuit!! ill be trying that one next week

Cheers fintan

6. RC

RC Active Member

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  7. tom89

tom89 New Member

looks good mate, might give it a go

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

I think that the advice that you have been given is first class. As a former RM who has been around the block a few times I can fully endorse the Circuit Training. I still do it now and I'm the wrong side of 60!! It may not have the same intensity that you guys are doing, but it is a sure fire way of improving fitness.

Running is all very well and you do need to do that and do it well, but you can run all the miles imaginable, but it will not prepare you for the lung bursting, ball busting hell of the gym and bottom field. Unless you experience that beforehand you are in for one big shock when you arrive at CTC.

To get it into perspective, I used to run marathons until a few years ago and I could run a full marathon in around 3.30 and at the end of it I would be really tired, but I would not be out of breath. Yet do a circuit for 20 to 30 minutes and you have the jelly legs, gasping for breath and a heart beat that feels it will come out of your chest!!

So go find some cones Guys and start doing those pressups, star jumps, burpees etc, and don't forget the sprints in between!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jordan-92

Jordan-92 New Member

I started this today,felt sevrely nautious afterwards but I felt it really worked!

10. sqjlcunningham

sqjlcunningham New Member

This is an absolutely disgusting workout routine, but it's hoofing. I do this with the RMR and every time, someone is sick, or starry eyed! And the sprints are just honking! But afterwards when you've had a dhobi and some scran you feel on top of the world!

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  11. Trainhard-playhard

Trainhard-playhard New Member

A filthy circuit.

Starting from scratch I will need a month of "getting back into the swing of things" before hitting this hard.

12. Brick

Brick New Member

This circuit is lovely haha. But i'll be starting from scratch so i've replaced the sprint back with a jog and removed the best effort run. Do you think this will still do the trick? Then as I progress i'll add them back in?

13. Jordan-92

Jordan-92 New Member

Into my 3rd day of this tomorrow,5 sets.Cant wait haha.

14. Fintan

Fintan Member

Glad to see everyone's making good use of it. :)

15. Anthony88

Anthony88 New Member

Ive got my PRMC on Monday, i'm going to try this tonight, tomorrow, and Friday. Then a nice rest over the weekend.

I normally do something like this, but slightly different. After a warm up, I do:

5 Laps of a field (roughly 250m) best effort for a thorough warm up, followed by......
    4 sprints (30-40m) then a lap of the field,
    5 sprints then a lap of the field,
    6 sprints then a lap of the field,

The lap is the recovery time, so after the lap I go straight back into the sprints.

Then go over the gym and do the RM circuit, or more recently I've been doing just Press ups, sit ups and pull ups to increase my strength. 30-30-10 reps. I do 6 sets of the circuit in the gym.

I was going to carry on with this after my PRMC until RT, but I'll see how your one goes tonight.

Thanks bud

16. Jordan-92

Jordan-92 New Member

6 Sets tomorrow,I think its really working i did a 3 miler yday evenin n came in at 21:14 previous pb from a week ago was 22:04.

17. Anthony88

Anthony88 New Member

I tried this last night fintan, and even though I wanted you to die during it for telling us about it, it was really good! I felt great after it, and I know I could improve with it!

So thanks alot for posting it up mate.

18. RMC-Wannabe

RMC-Wannabe New Member

Likewise, similar to what i do but no sprinting or running because recovering from shin splints at mo.

19. 729 Troop

729 Troop New Member

Just out of interest where do you do your MMA training?

Good circuit and one I will try next week, cheers

20. AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ New Member

This sounds like a really good routine, will deffently give up my training program for a week to give this a go. However i think ill try it with hill sprints and see how far i get. I'm also attending the 21st of April PRMC.