Ex-RM PTI- Fintan Circuit

ADonis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I started doing Fintans a while ago and they have definitely helped with all aspects of my training. The main thing I need to focus on is overall aerobic fitness, like long distance running and leg endurance, so change your circuits about to suit your needs and what you think you need to work on.
For my circuit I started off doing 10 reps of each exercise and Ive slowly built it up to 15 which is an absolute killer. Since I need to work on leg endurance mostly I do 5 legs exercises one after the other to:

Push up
Sit up
Jumping lunges
Burpees
squats
tuck jumps
Mountain climbers
V-up
Push ups

Reactions: d3v

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody tried combining this with the Arny training plan?

Seems like an awesome circuit, I'm developing my fitness now about 1-2 weeks into it properly you reckon it's worth smashing this to the best of my ability even now?

I thought maybe for my strength a combination of this, Arny's gym training with the weighted vest and the 100 press-up/sit-up/pull-up challenge sheet I was given at AFCO today (and subsequently lost derp) could be a decent mix.

Thoughts/advices?

Edit: Also, do you still do your run's the same day as Fintan?! Sound's honking, a single 50m hill sprint after my runs on the way home get me hanging out my rear hole haha
Make sure you've built up a base level of fitness before doing these pal

Canzmanz

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Has anybody tried combining this with the Arny training plan?

Seems like an awesome circuit, I'm developing my fitness now about 1-2 weeks into it properly you reckon it's worth smashing this to the best of my ability even now?

I thought maybe for my strength a combination of this, Arny's gym training with the weighted vest and the 100 press-up/sit-up/pull-up challenge sheet I was given at AFCO today (and subsequently lost derp) could be a decent mix.

Thoughts/advices?

Edit: Also, do you still do your run's the same day as Fintan?! Sound's honking, a single 50m hill sprint after my runs on the way home get me hanging out my rear hole haha
I mixed it on with arny's plan
Mon - BFT then 2xrmfa
Tues - 8 miler then fintan
We'd - rest sometimes swimming
Thurs - 2xbft then a bleep test
Fri - bleep test then fintan
Sat - hill sprints with a 4 miler
Sun - some dips then 2 x brig sally up challenge

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I really want to do this circuit again but as I'm returning from shin splints it's probably not for the best. Would it work as reverse prowler drags between exercise and a 500m row at the end of each set instead?

Reaction score
I really want to do this circuit again but as I'm returning from shin splints it's probably not for the best. Would it work as reverse prowler drags between exercise and a 500m row at the end of each set instead?
I've tried it using a keiser cycle bike instead of the sprints when i was suffering from a lower leg problem, still a tough killer of a circuit so i see no reason why it wouldn't work with your exercises :)

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Can you guys suggest the toughest bodyweight exercises that I can implement into a fintan, cheers.

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The toughest would be bastards, jump squats, jump lunges

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The toughest would be *text deleted*s, jump squats, jump lunges

Aye that's all I can think of too mate, was wondering if there's any that I might not know of which are done at prmc?

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aye that's all I can think of too mate, was wondering if there's any that I might not know of which are done at prmc?
Have to ask someone whose been there but think it's stuff like duck walks, bear crawls, drags, carries, then sit ups, press ups, squats, leg raises, jump lunges etc

Reactions: LRL

Canzmanz

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Have to ask someone whose been there but think it's stuff like duck walks, bear crawls, drags, carries, then sit ups, press ups, squats, leg raises, jump lunges etc
Everyone finds different things tough, I really struggled with bunny hops, whilst other people find them easy.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The best effort run of the two pitches, is that the length or the perimeter?
Technically, it doesn't matter as its all good fitness. The perimeter is best though as it is roughly 800... The same distance as a camp circuit.

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone finds different things tough, I really struggled with bunny hops, whilst other people find them easy.

Yeah that's true mate, i'll have to figure out which ones are the hardest for myself.

LRL

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The best effort run of the two pitches, is that the length or the perimeter?

Perimeter but if you wanted to build up to that you could sprint the length, jog the width.

wackojacko544

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I think I'm going to start doing this circuit because by the sound of it, its one of the best in preparation for PRMC and training. But I've just got a few questions.
1) How long does it approximately take.
2) My current circuit consists of 13 exercises but 3 of them are gainers so would it be fine just to do them separately.
3) Can you start with higher reps because as I've already been doing a circuit I've got more than 15.

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance.

wackojacko544

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also do you have to do them 4 days in row or is it as long as you do them 4 times week, because I already do my current circuit 4 times a week, but not 4 days in a row.

ADAMERITH

Reaction score
I've just got a few questions.
1) How long does it approximately take.
2) My current circuit consists of 13 exercises but 3 of them are gainers so would it be fine just to do them separately.
3) Can you start with higher reps because as I've already been doing a circuit I've got more than 15.
I only do a Fintan circuit once a week, as I like to have some variety.

I wouldn't worry about trying to follow session to the letter either, just push as hard as you can. So if you feel you can do higher reps or more excersies, do it!

When I do a Fintan I do 5 sets. Cones 30m apart and then do 9 excersies (Push ups, Sit ups, Squats, Push ups, Leg raises, Tuck jumps, Push ups, Scissor kicks, Burpees) normally with 20/25reps but at the end of the set instead of the doing the lap around a field, I do a crawl to the cone and back. (Changing the crawls per set aswell: Leopard, Bear, Terminator, Duck walk, Bunny hops)

Each set takes me about 7:30mins - 8:30mins. And I take a couple min sit down between each set. (I take a stopwatch with me to keep track)

So it doesn't take to long and as long as you are pushing yourself, you are golden.

I'd do your gainers on their own in the evening. And also, I like to concentrate on making each sprint all out, as this is more of a lung buster session over a normal circuit I do (RM training tool)

Lastly, you might feel stupid at first crawling around with people about, but once you have done it once you'll probably find its your favourite session.

wackojacko544

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. And yeah I think I'm going to start doing this. I also quite like the sound of the crawls because I've been wanting to introduce these, as they will be good preparation for PRMC.

wackojacko544

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also do you have to do the 6 sets or can you do just 3 because I'm use to 3 and don't know whether I could do more at the moment.

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Also do you have to do the 6 sets or can you do just 3 because I'm use to 3 and don't know whether I could do more at the moment.
Try it and see if you can make it anywhere near 6! Seriously though I'd start with 3 and look into building up it's horrendous