Ex-RM PTI- Fintan Circuit

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Fintan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ADAMERITH

ADAMERITH Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I only do a Fintan circuit once a week, as I like to have some variety.

I wouldn't worry about trying to follow session to the letter either, just push as hard as you can. So if you feel you can do higher reps or more excersies, do it!

When I do a Fintan I do 5 sets. Cones 30m apart and then do 9 excersies (Push ups, Sit ups, Squats, Push ups, Leg raises, Tuck jumps, Push ups, Scissor kicks, Burpees) normally with 20/25reps but at the end of the set instead of the doing the lap around a field, I do a crawl to the cone and back. (Changing the crawls per set aswell: Leopard, Bear, Terminator, Duck walk, Bunny hops)

Each set takes me about 7:30mins - 8:30mins. And I take a couple min sit down between each set. (I take a stopwatch with me to keep track)

So it doesn't take to long and as long as you are pushing yourself, you are golden.

I'd do your gainers on their own in the evening. And also, I like to concentrate on making each sprint all out, as this is more of a lung buster session over a normal circuit I do (RM training tool)

Lastly, you might feel stupid at first crawling around with people about, but once you have done it once you'll probably find its your favourite session.

2. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thank you for the reply. And yeah I think I'm going to start doing this. I also quite like the sound of the crawls because I've been wanting to introduce these, as they will be good preparation for PRMC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Also do you have to do the 6 sets or can you do just 3 because I'm use to 3 and don't know whether I could do more at the moment.

4. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Try it and see if you can make it anywhere near 6! Seriously though I'd start with 3 and look into building up it's horrendous

5. ADAMERITH

ADAMERITH Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah 3 sets in fine. As long as you push yourself and improve steadily over time you aren't going wrong.

With any session though I'd say set a minimun you want to achieve. So if you say you are going to do 3 sets, don't leave until you have done 3 sets. Even if you have to take a 10min break. Best of luck :)

6. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah. I always set things before hand otherwise you just don't do it properly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Also is there a set period you should do this circuit for (for example 4 weeks), or can you do it for as long as you want.

8. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    The exercise I plan to do are:
    Chin ups
    Tricep dips
    Dorsal raises
    Leg raises
    Lunges
    Squats
    Mountain climbers
    Squat jumps
    Burpees

Does this sound alright.

9. ADAMERITH

ADAMERITH Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Do it for as long as you want. Just play about with your sessions. This is just one which is effective.

And those excersies look fine. Never done Dorsal raises really. And worth adding Sit ups and Push ups instead, seeing as they are criteria.

10. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks for the reply. I plan to do pull ups, sit ups and push ups separately as gainers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

I do this, it's nice to focus on the key areas and then smash a circuit with different exercises or a variation.

• Like Like x 2
  12. wackojacko544

wackojacko544 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Did my first one today, and I can see why it gets a lot of good reviews (although during it I hated it -vomit-)

Did 3 sets and did 20 reps on everything excepts Burpee's, chin ups and leg raises (15) and Tricep dips (25). Took me about 40 minutes to complete. But definitely going to start doing these.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What are the best excercises to do for this circuit? It recommends 9, which 9 are the best and I will see the most improvement with

14. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It doesn't matter that much but generally people do:
    Wide push up
    Sit ups
    Squats (jump squats if too easy)

RM push up
    Crunches
    Lunges (again, jump if too easy-killer!)

Close/diamond push up
    Bike crunches
    Burpees

Its up to you and will probably do you some good to mix them up a bit but I hope that helps.
    Fibo

• Like Like x 1
  15. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks man, also, what are RM push-ups?

16. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Push Ups done to Royal Marine Standard so hands shoulder with apart and elbows tight to the sides

17. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @BoxSwallow @Fibonarchie thanks a ton. Really do appreciate it. Sorry for the questions that I'm sure have been asked hundreds of times

• Like Like x 1
  18. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

19. Hublot28

Hublot28 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Well - I was around when this circuit first came to light and many many years on - It still feels like you are running around carrying death on your shoulders!! After two years of no cardio - I suffered... A lot

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Mas93

Mas93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Afternoon all!

First post on here and also the first day of completing the Fintan Circuit. What a blast it was.

I'm yet to experience PRMC however this circuit I feel will definitely add to all my training prep.

I added crawls and crab walks which definitely slows it down but on the other hand definitely makes you dig deep and work hard. For anyone who has yet to try crawling yet I would definitely recommend for you to start practising. It uses plenty of different muscle groups and requires a tonne of effort!

Thankyou Fintan for this.. looking forward to keep smashing this.

*ProperPrepartionPreventsPissPoorPerformance.