Excellent Books for any Potential YOs

Reaction score
There are two books that I would like to recommend for any potential Young Officers.
Firstly, 'The Making of a Royal Marines Commando' by Nigel Foster is a good book in that it helps develop an understanding of the RM in a general sense.

Secondly, 'Commando, Survival of the Fittest' by Robin Eggar is excellent in developing an understanding of what it is like to be in the batch. I am currently getting through it now and it is spot on. The author seems to have immersed himself fully with the YOs and understands the highs and lows that they experience during training. It is based on the YO batch 1991 so is obviously a bit out of date. Some of the individuals in it are Majors turning Lt Colonels now.

The first is easy to get hold of through Amazon but the second is a little more difficult, I bought my copy second hand over the net and can't put it down.

Cheers,
RMRO

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like good stuff, ordering them now.

May I asked where you got the second one from? Looking on Amazon it's £44 and I have a very small amount of money at the moment.

j.cunners

Reaction score
Please Note:
An updated version of 'The Making of a Royal Marine Commando' by Nigel Foster is coming out the 1st August, it will probably include up to date information on PRMC, POC and training etc. As well as information about recent RM deployments and issues.

Available at Waterstones.com

Reaction score
I got the second one on Amazon. It may be a bit of a long term project as it is rare now! Still worth bearing in mind, it is an excellent read.

S

Sotiris

Just bought it, expensive but hey! It's an investment. I'm going to wait for the update on the Nigel Foster title.

Also brought "The Royal Marines: History of the Royal Marines 1664-2000" and "By Sea and by Land: The Story of the Royal Marines Commandos". Combined with other titles I'm reading now I've got a hell of a lot of reading this summer!

The way I justify it is if this all works my first paycheck as a YO will make amends to the dents in my bank account.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
crikey i've got 'Commando, Survival of the Fittest' bought it at a car boot sale for £2. *text deleted*

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What a pile of *text deleted*, that second book is too hard to get hold of. Prices range from £40 - £70. I'm not paying that much for a book, and as I have £10 to my name...it doesn't exist in the national libraries either.

There seems only to be hardback first editions available...no reprints...and I want something good to read.

Reaction score
Keep having a look in car boot sales and second hand bookshops. I didn't say finding it was going to be easy, well worth it though!

Ghod70

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions, I got the first one today (didn't want to wait a month for the update, although I'll probably get that one too) and like many others couldn't find the 2nd one. Will be on the lookout online though

Ghod70

Reaction score
Alright folks try www.abebooks.com there's a couple of editions on there though for no less than 40 quid... But what's a couple quid to invest if it's gonnae increase your chances of making it into YO training/ helping you understand what's expected of you?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well it's a lot if you have no money to spend and a uni reading list to look forward to!

Ghod70

Reaction score
Haha fair enough, but investments pay dividends my friend

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
reading TARGET BASRA at the moment, about the lead up and invasion of Iraq. Reccommend it!

jp987

Reaction score
You could try your local library for "Commando", I picked it up today at mine, looks like a very interesting read.

Liam91

Reaction score
im reading 3 commando brigade in helmand province, pre-ordered it from amazon for about 12 quid. Really good read

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
'The Royal marines' by Julian Thompson

a really extensive history of royal, from conception, through all the highs and lows, gices the details, heavy going, have had to read it twice to actually get into it, but worth it, I'm really interested in the rich history of the corps now. Great read, got some really inspirational stories.

Iago

Reaction score
SBS by John Parker, and his other one, can't remember it's name but it includes the word 'future', just google it, they are both very detailed histories of the development of the RM. Also, you can't get a better read than '3Para' by Patrick Bishop, yes it's about a Para delpoyment but it puts recent events in Afghanistan into focus (it is about the Summer of 2006 when the Paras first went in to Helmand). I'm about to start reading 'A Million Bullets' by James Ferguson, also looks like a good view of current affairs.

I also recommend the Arnie film 'Commando', easily the most accurate portrayal of a Commando-style operation available on screen... or possibly not.