Exciting times

Ceebedee

Reaction score
My son doesn’t start until the 1st March but has been ready to go for ages! I am already a member of the Facebook group as they very kindly added me. Looking to use this site and that one to help mentally prepare myself for the shock of my 17 yo leaving home!

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My son doesn’t start until the 1st March but has been ready to go for ages! I am already a member of the Facebook group as they very kindly added me. Looking to use this site and that one to help mentally prepare myself for the shock of my 17 yo leaving home!
Help him prepare by getting him to do the household laundry by hand then iron it all and fold it to A4 size.

Ceebedee

Reaction score
Help him prepare by getting him to do the household laundry by hand then iron it all and fold it to A4 size.
Well I must have known he was going to join the forces as I haven’t done his ironing since he was 10! But I will tell him that tip! He is used to wearing things for 15 seconds and putting them in the washing machine!

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well I must have known he was going to join the forces as I haven’t done his ironing since he was 10! But I will tell him that tip! He is used to wearing things for 15 seconds and putting them in the washing machine!
That changes when they have to do their own washing!

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
He probably won't get near a washing machine till week 7 of recruit training.

physiomum

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Ceebedee lovely to have you. You will spend hours on here! There is so much to read and lots of really friendly helpful people to inform reassure and support you x

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Probably one of the biggest shocks, in this connected world, is the sudden lack of instant and frequent comms.

Don't expect replies to Whatsapp/SMS messages or phonecalls for a week or more. Equally, when you do make contact, expect it to be a one-way download, detailing all the negativity you could imagine.

As a parent/partner, this tends to leave you reeling, whilst the recruit, having got it off their chest, cracks-on, oblivious to the turmoil they have unwittingly caused.

Parents usually find they receive the bad news in sporadic bursts, whilst the recruits friends/partners get the more upbeat and frequent communiques.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I joined the Navy, we were given a postcard and stamp upon arrival and told to send it to our parents to let them know you had arrived safely, so clearly this is nothing new.

Nowadays of course, we feel undressed if we step out the front door without a phone, so a good way of conditioning for all parties is to simply spend 24 hours with the mobile phone switched off.

EmLouWat

Reaction score
Probably one of the biggest shocks, in this connected world, is the sudden lack of instant and frequent comms.

Don't expect replies to Whatsapp/SMS messages or phonecalls for a week or more. Equally, when you do make contact, expect it to be a one-way download, detailing all the negativity you could imagine.

As a parent/partner, this tends to leave you reeling, whilst the recruit, having got it off their chest, cracks-on, oblivious to the turmoil they have unwittingly caused.

Parents usually find they receive the bad news in sporadic bursts, whilst the recruits friends/partners get the more upbeat and frequent communiques.

Back in the Dark Ages, when I joined the Navy, we were given a postcard and stamp upon arrival and told to send it to our parents to let them know you had arrived safely, so clearly this is nothing new.

Nowadays of course, we feel undressed if we step out the front door without a phone, so a good way of conditioning for all parties is to simply spend 24 hours with the mobile phone switched off.
We have experienced some negativity this week from our son and its really hard to not sit here and think 'crap- is he thinking of jacking it in?'. Really hope he isn't being negative on all fronts and is just saving the offload for us.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
We have experienced some negativity this week from our son and its really hard to not sit here and think 'crap- is he thinking of jacking it in?'. Really hope he isn't being negative on all fronts and is just saving the offload for us.

What week is your son in?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be honest, there aren't many trained ranks who didn't think about quitting at some point.

Mostly during training, but a few as trained ranks who inevitably find day to day life is no longer entirely compatible with their current 'wants' with regard partners, family and lifestyle.

It's fairly common at week four of RT and a demanding exercise linked to the first 'opt out' window opening, that people think of wrapping.

Those who quit as early as possible are usually the guys calling the afco stating 'I made a mistake'.

Sadly, they are usually the one's who must wait a couple of years before rejoining.

The prospect of rejoining is a hysterical concept to those hellbent on leaving...until a couple of weeks after they get home.

The tip? Tough love, particularly at this stage.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
4? On Marshall Star this week

Will be a tough challenge especially in the cold. But he'll have to ask himself, would he feel different if it was warm and dry.

Training is very hard and will regularly be cold and wet. However majority of my time as a trained rank other than Norway has been spent places warm and more often dry. Its very easy to let a few short term hardships develop into disillusions about the job.

Stick with it. And never quit based on a negative emotional impulse