Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Exertion headaches

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by codycaesar, Feb 28, 2019.

1. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    does anyone know about these? I’m not certain this is my issue because everything I’ve read says they come during the peak of your session when you’re exhausted, with me for example when I do my first bit of exercise of the day I start bumping out press-ups and very early on I’m greeted with a very intense and dull headache which lasts a couple of minutes, after this passes I’m able to do any exercise without it coming back, can anyone shed some light?

2. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Maybe it's the sudden change in blood pressure if you're banging out press ups first thing, I don't know though I'm not any sort of medical professional.

Personally I don't get headaches but I do sometimes get exertion ear popping, makes everything sound like I've gone underwater for a few minutes when I'm working hard, and not just when I'm swimming either!

3. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Never used to have them they’ve just been catching me off guard for about a week

4. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Can confirm that happens to me when doing compound exercises, really knocks me out of whack for a few minutes *text deleted*.

As for the headaches, maybe you are pushing yourself too hard too quickly? When I first started working out headaches would happen if I pushed myself too quickly, as of late my body has adapted to it.

5. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah could be, just hope they all pass before my prmc coming up

6. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When is your PRMC date?

Also I think the fitter you get the less they happen so maybe start out with cardio to get the blood flowing then on to bodyweight/weighted routines.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I get them right after a hard run. They last for a while as well. Nothing you can really do but keep hydrated and refuel after.

• Like Like x 2
  8. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    12th March

9. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Ah, thought you might be on mine thats why I asked.

10. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This might sound stupidly obvious, but are you remembering to breath? I used to find when I pushed as far as I could with press ups etc I'd end up holding my breath weirdly without realising until it felt like my head would explode.

Luckily I don't anymore.

11. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I get what you mean I’ll focus on my breathing next time and see if it that helps, Thanks

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not a medical professional but also consider adequate hydration. And perhaps breakfast too.
    To be honest, I didn't even know 'exertion headache' was a thing.

13. Sausage

Sausage New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    this is a bit obvious but prior to any workout a good warmup consisting of light cardio and dynamic stretches to bring the heart beat up gradually may help... still amazes me when you see mates in the gym going straight into 100 pressups or 50kg bench

• Like Like x 2
  14. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No disrespect but you say that like you know I don’t drink water or eat breakfast aha, which is wrong I do, it’s a common problem you’d be surprised I came on here to see if anyone had their experience with them and how they dealt with them

15. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Will do mate thanks

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I wasn't having a dig. Merely throwing a suggestion into the mix for consideration.

17. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

The nature of a headaches very much depends on the pain zones..is it frontal , behind the eyes , scattered or one sided ???..one you can pin down the feeling / nature of the headache , you can then move forward to ascertaining a cause.

• Like Like x 1
  18. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    First couple of times it was on both sides at the back, the more recent ones are only on the left at the back