Expected swimming requirements?

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Lads,

I know you need to do 4 confident lengths in your prmc, but i was wondering what else is expected? i can do just about everything, but just realised its not something *text deleted** thought about or read about.

Cheers.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That's all you need in prmc. 4 lengths without touching the sides.

I believe if you don't pass that you will be branded a weak swimmer and have extra coaching in RT. then a couple weeks in to RT you have a swim test.

If you can't swim, just get out there and swim. I remember when I started training I went swimming 5 days a week, and struggled to heck and stayed near the edges all the way. Bu length by length, with rest between, I just swam. Within no more than a week I was swimming 1000m confidently (not none stop, I'd rest after a few lengths for 30s or so and carry on, but I could swim without needing the sides and with little rest).

Practice makes perfect. You can do anything if you put your mind to it (except jump unnassisted out of the stratosphere, but if you want to try..........)

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Errm i didnt ask that o_O i can swim fine mate...

Anon.

Reaction score
Yeah I've read a bit deeper into the swimming as I'm not the strongest swimmer, and as far as I'm aware there's obviously the 4 lengths at PRMC as you mentioned, the BST (Battle Swimming Test) in RT where I think it's jump into the pool in combats, webbing and with a weapon, swim around the pool like three times and tread water for 2 minutes then pass the rifle and webbing out confidently (probably not 100% correct but it's something along those lines probably best to look into it yourself or ask ninja) and I've also been told by a careers advisor that swimming is often used after intense phys or just as low impact phys during RT, and that it's also involved a lot during amphibious drills. But if you're a confident swimmer then you'll be fine!

I'm a shocking swimmer, I may possibly be the least buoyant person in the world.:doh:

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What were you asking then mate? On PRMC, all you have to do is jump into the pool, swim 4 lengths (minimum 1 length) and then climb out. Bosh.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What were you asking then mate? On PRMC, all you have to do is jump into the pool, swim 4 lengths (minimum 1 length) and then climb out. Bosh.
Well i mean in RT and such, sorry mate didnt think i need to say that when i typed it cause it werent in the title i suppose :S

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fair enough. And in RT, although they're not expecting perfect butterfly stroke, multiple backflip dives and synchronised swimming you can still expect a hangout in the swimming sessions.

Previous posts on here have said most swimming sessions consist of pairing up - one pair does a certain number of lengths of a certain stroke (sometimes hypoxic?) while the other does press ups etc on the side and vice versa. I think as the training progresses you'll start swimming in kit and boots and gradually have kit added to increase the weight until you do your BST.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No need to get touchy.

You didn't state whether or not you were struggling, but I answered your question and added in my advice. Even if you can swim, it's highly likely that others will search "swimming requirements" and read this, of whom may not be strong swimmers and just maybe they will find my post helped.

Never mind though aye.

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No need to get touchy.

You didn't state whether or not you were struggling, but I answered your question and added in my advice. Even if you can swim, it's highly likely that others will search "swimming requirements" and read this, of whom may not be strong swimmers and just maybe they will find my post helped.

Never mind though aye.
touchy? some sensitivity issues on this forum *text deleted** noticed today... :P

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
touchy? some sensitivity issues on this forum *text deleted** noticed today... :P
I had just finished a nine and a half hour shift and was sat in the heat on the train in rush hour. In the second busiest city of all places.

Feel much better now though haha.