Extra Activities

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
once in the marines we all know that there are a range of different activities open to us that are not military based. For example, football, rugby, martial arts and boxing etc. and for while now i have been doing breakdancing, going to classes and every now and then practicing at home, unfortunatlly i havn't been able to practice to much at home due to training for the marines and other various things. but i have gotten to the point now where i want to take it more seriously and develop my skill even further but im planning on carrying on my application process in september sp that means 5 months of developing it really, unless the marines recognise something such as breakdancing as an extra activity and would allow me sufficient enough time continue it and keep my skill level up.

so basically does anyone know if the marines would see this as an extra activity?

now i know that someone will probably say "well headspins wont exactly help you in the battlefield" but im not exactly planning on suddenly doing a headspin in the middle of a battle. im guessing that they wont and tell me to practice in my spare time.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Call me sad but I just had a vision of doing a windmill matrix style to dodge bullets, anyway.. I had to give up breakdancing beacuse it was stressing my Ilio-Tibula Band (ITB) Everytime I did a Baby Freeze Pictured Here.

To the point now.. I don't think breakdancing would be seen as an extra activity to be honest as it will be like asking to learn how to waltz and tango as they're all dancing in a form. It's a great upperbody boost but it still falls down to dancing.

My question: Is there a Royal Marine kayaking team as I don't want to get rid of my kayaking as it's what gave me my initial strength, I prefer playboating (been in a few competitions and ranked around 40 in the country in 2006, would have been in the low 20's if I could have made the other 2 events. I managed to get 8th at Nene White Water Centre)

Ash

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i personaly am more into ballet but i dont think the marines accomodate that eighter :P

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My question: Is there a Royal Marine kayaking team as I don't want to get rid of my kayaking
When you completed the initial training phase, your are entitled to X amount of weeks for adventure training, In adventure training you can pretty much do anything, and kayaking is one of them, and yes there is a royal navy kayaking team that im sure youd be able to represent if you meet the required standard, Sports is a BIG thing in the armed forces and all is encouraged to take up adventure training time to undertake something! dont fret guys

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ah i feel a bit better because they have mountain biking as well. i just hope its XC.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As with most things in the Services, there are often niche activities/clubs/societies available to join for devotees in the relevant field. Most are sport orientated, however there are more diverse common interests, such as volunteer bands, religious groups, military historians, and suchlike

If there isn't a club or society covering the activity you are interested in, it's usually because there is insufficient interest to sustain it, or because such a group has yet to be established. Quite often, it just needs an individual, sufficiently enthused to get the ball, kayak, head-spin or bicycle wheel, rolling.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome, well so far I've paddled every Welsh and UK river and a good majority of play spots and waves but not every Scottish river (yet), I also have my 1,2,3 star kayaking certificates and I'm planning on the 4th (out of a total 5) soon I also have my Canoeing Safety Certificate and I'm a qualified kayak lifeguard (Just so I could paddle along side my dad in the Blenhiem Triathlon). So 7 years and a few thousand £££ later I hope they let me represent.. *text deleted*