Eye Exam

jczopczyc123

Reaction score
Can anybody please give me some details about the eye test i.e what you do, how long it takes, is it hard etc?

Because im not sure if my eyes seem up to standard!!

Cheers
Jonny

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hey, i had my test last week, they sit you in a chair, and the guy blocks the sight on your left eye and you have to read the bottom letters of a board at the end and then he does your right eye once thats done you have to put your eye through something and you have to follow his pen so he can look at your eyes, for me werent to hard i found reading bottom line not to hard, but i probably have the eyes of an eagle *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's a standard eyetest at a local opticians. They grade your eye standard & send it to your AFCO.

If you have a look in the stickies section, you will find the eyesight standards in the Medical Guidance notes.

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
Can anybody please give me some details about the eye test i.e what you do, how long it takes, is it hard etc?

Because im not sure if my eyes seem up to standard!!

Cheers
Jonny
Hi jonny,

It takes about 20 mins and I have written below what happened to me..:

First you look into a machine at an air balloon and it moves into and out of focus...

I then had to read an eye chart (letters) If you have ok eye sight the bottom ones are ok to read. (They cover one eye at a time so you read with your left then right eye respectively)

Then you have to focus on two black circles with a backlight whilst different lenses are popped into a pair of wierd looking frame thingies on your face, and they say better, worse, or same over and over until you make a decision.. You will give your verdict..

Then they give you really small text to read, again with both eyes one at a time...

Then they shine a bright light into each eye and nearly touch noses with you, whilst they say "look up - up left - middle left - bottom left" etc....(lay off the garlic night before as I had a really fit bird do mine :)

Then you are shown some cards with numbers on them which are made up of colours and no outline to test colour blindness..

Then pie charts of the same nature..with segments missing..(you have to say where the slice is missing from)

Then they put a long wierd ruler thing on your face and adjust the slider, they ask you when the text is in focus. ( for near or far sightedness I assume)

then you have to drop your trousers.....hehehe.. no not really, thats about it, pretty easy stuff really, your results will be sealed into an envalope and addressed to AFCO (you take it with your four passport photos on your interview)

Very comfortable throughout, we talked about the marines and my impending interview...*text deleted*

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hey about the pass port photos, i got an appointment card which says to take with me every time i go to the afco and it says take 4 passport photos but this has been crossed out in pen.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Take them anyway dude, I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the eye exams easy.. I came back with some free sexy glasses! <3 being under 16 :laugh: