Eye Sight Requirements?!

BoxingBroxy

Reaction score
Awrite guys. I was wondering if anyone knows the specifics for eye sight when it comes to joining the RM? I am very short sighted and therefore am scared of failing the medical due to it. Are you allowed to wear contacts or even better, if I get laser eye treatment, would I still be okay? Cheers.

Kyle

brummielad

Reaction score
you can have a certain type of laser eye surgery not sure though someone will put it right but i know you have to wait 12 months after having it to apply. Mate you are in the same boat as me im very worried about it but i ve been told unless your nearly blind you will pass so hopefully we will both be fine. By the way i dont wear glasses or contacts do you?

brummielad

Reaction score
oh and i think the minimum is 6/60 in both eyes. stand to be corrected once again.

BoxingBroxy

Reaction score
Yeah I read somewhere about 60/60 vision but I don't actually know what that means. I assumed it was perfect vision. Now that I think about it though 20/20 vision is perfect I think.

I do have a pair of prescription glasses that I am supposed to use for driving and such things but I don't use them for the simple reason that I hate glasses, :nuts:.

Kyle

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you dont drive with your glasses when your short sighted?!?! dear god boy

BoxingBroxy

Reaction score
Negative!

Na, :racer:. *text deleted*, it's not as bad as it sounds. I can see pedestrians and others vehicles no problem. I just need to be nose to tail with a car pretty much to read their registration plates, *text deleted*.

Kyle

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Laser Eye surgery rules...
You are not allowed LASIK.
You must wait 1 year after the date of treatment before you can apply for the RM.
Stick with LASEK as the Navy accept this.

If you apply for the RM and fail your eyesight test, you are not allowed to go away get them lasered and come back. Ninja, care to clarify?

You are not allowed to have LASIK surgery. LASIK involves using a laser or blade to make a flap in the cornea. The Navy do not like this as the flap apparently never fully heals.

I had LASEK surgery. LASEK involves using chemicals to soften the surface of the cornea, they then scrape the front of your eye to make a flap... it's not painful, but it is *text deleted**text deleted*ing scary having someone stick things in your eyes. Yes you are awake during this.
LASEK takes longer to heal and stings afterwards for a lot longer than LASIK. It also takes about 2 weeks before you see the results where as LASIK is instant.
LASIK also is undetectable... yes seriously, your optician will not be able to tell... Yes I did consider applying after 6 months instead of waiting the full year, but risking being chucked out if they found out makes it not worth it.

I now have 20/5 vision which means I can read two lines below 20/20, in other words I have rediculously good eyesight. I used to have -4.0 in both eyes and struggled to see the top letter of the chart.

Go for an eye test, if you are outside range don't apply.
By the way your perscription has to be steady for at least 1 year before you are eligible for laser surgery.

Hope this helps.

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Hey guys I also had laser eye surgery because my eyes were not good enough to pass the test. A year and three months later I was able to read the smallest line on the chart and have had no problems with the medical. I was told it also shows a commitment and persistence to trying to get into the marines. I had no other choice because my eyes were to bad, but I would recommend it even to people who could get in with contacts or glasses.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Think I might try and get mine done just found out recently that im short sighted and need glasses they said at the opticians that I would still be able to join but id rather get surgery than having to carry glasses around don't like the idea of someone scraping my eyeballs though :worried::sick:

BoxingBroxy

Reaction score
Damn?!

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get myself an eye test as soon as I can and see what my vision is. If I need treatment, it's going to be hard as I have a hard time with anything going near my eyes. Hence how I don't use contacts, :cry:. Besides that, it will be gutting to have to wait a year but I suppose it will give me more time to get fit. Cheers.

Kyle