Eye Test and Confidence!

Swimmer

Reaction score
Hello, i was wondering what the requirements of the eye-test are, i am slightly short sighted but not alot. I have always wanted to be a royal marine, but lack confidence in myself sometimes, what do you suggest to improve this weakness?

S

Sotiris

I don't know what the requiremets are. But then again there is nothing you can do about it so you might as well just bite the bullet and go and get one done. They'll tell you pretty quickly if you make the grade or not.

As for you confidence....nooo idea. Join the OTC, drama clubs, play a lot of team sports. Try public speaking. Put yourself out there, scare the *text deleted**text deleted* out of yourself and see how it goes.

RC

Reaction score
Welcome aboard,

What kind of situations do you sometimes lack confidence in ?

Rich.

Swimmer

Reaction score
It isn't usually specific situations i just tend to think that people are better than me and thus i lack confidence when trying to direct them. It sounds ridiculous, but i suppose in a situation where i have a greater knowledge than the people i am directing then i can do it.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
best way to gain confidence in my experience is by being in situations that challenge you but are do-able. if you're 18+ a good start would be get a bar job, really good for social confidence, if you're under 18, it does come with age to a certain extent, but try and challenge yourself, find things you're good at and become better, learn new skills and practice being confident- pretend to be confident when feeling shy etc (just dont over do it!), it sounds stupid but works.

RC

Reaction score
It isn't usually specific situations i just tend to think that people are better than me and thus i lack confidence when trying to direct them. It sounds ridiculous, but i suppose in a situation where i have a greater knowledge than the people i am directing then i can do it.
Alright mate,

In what way do you think people are better than you ?

Do you think you have low self esteem ?

The RM will be a great opportunity to develop you self confidence / esteem.

Rich.

Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck with the joining process but I would be very careful about lacking confidence when applying. This is not a job for wilting flowers and if you are looking to join as an Officer I would seriously think twice.

Swimmer

Reaction score
I have thought twice and a third time and many other times, and i am no wilting flower. Thank you for your comments though.

Swimmer

Reaction score
I am yes, hopefully as a direct graduate entrant, possibly taking my degree in sports science. I have my last year of college to finish and then off to university. What advice would you give me to improve myself, so i am extra prepared for what is to come. No, not rude, you were straighforward; best way to be.
Thank you.

Reaction score
I would look to take on as much responsibility as possible whilst at Uni. The best way of doing that is by joining a Sports Team and looking at taking on a role such as Club Captain or Chairman. You can make these sort of roles to suit yourself, look for sponsorship opportunities, get some team kit ordered and paid for. I did that sort of thing and it helped me a fair bit.
I would also look to join the OTC (Officer Training Corps). They will be at you Freshers Fair. They will have ideas on how to develop your Officer skills, soldiering ability and all round general confidence/leadership.
Best of luck.

Swimmer

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all your help. I am a keen swimmer and love most sports so doing a sports degree will help me alot, and i will try to captain at least one of the teams i will hopefully be in. I shall definitely join OTC, and take it from there, once again thank you.