Eye Test And Grades

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Hi fellas just some questions on the eye test and about the grades i presumably will have. To be honest i'm pretty dumb in school and i'm imagining i will end up with like 1 grade and possibly only just scrape that (Maths). I understand you have to have a certain amount of UCAS points not sure what they are like *text deleted* but anyway just want to know if poor grades will affect my application. Also with regards the eye test i have to wear glasses and every time i have visited the opticians i can read like one line with the huge letters on and nothing else. Sorry to drag the questions out just need to know if they will affect my application. Cheers.

roguesniper

Reaction score
you dont have to have any qualifications to be a marine unless you are applying for officer. my grades were not that good either but so far thats been fine.

with regards to the eye test, just had mine.

you get graded either

VA1,VA2 or VA3 which is good enough for the marines, ninja will be able to tell you more.

below VA3 is classed as medically unsuitable for service

Ulick

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi fellas just some questions on the eye test and about the grades i presumably will have. To be honest i'm pretty dumb in school and i'm imagining i will end up with like 1 grade and possibly only just scrape that (Maths). I understand you have to have a certain amount of UCAS points not sure what they are like *text deleted* but anyway just want to know if poor grades will affect my application. Also with regards the eye test i have to wear glasses and every time i have visited the opticians i can read like one line with the huge letters on and nothing else. Sorry to drag the questions out just need to know if they will affect my application. Cheers.
Well VA3 mean's you can't read that line, VA3 is pretty poor eyesight, any worse and you'd be legally blind....ie not allowed to drive ect

alphamale

Reaction score
slightly unrelated, but i recently took a medical for the Irish Defence Forces (navy), by far the "trickiest" if you can call it was the eye test,

simply because it tested my Peripheral vision, which i found to be worse than my forward view.
had to stick my head through somthing that looked out of an 1980s version of startrek haha
with 3 tiers of lights on either side on your Peripheral light on sight, i found that if i concentrated to much on the "images" in front of me my Peripheral suffered. needless to say i passed

anyone here shed some light on the eye sight test for the Royal Marines?