Eye Test

robigunner88

Reaction score
Is a eyesight test required if someones does not wear glasses?
Or do people who wear glasses have to have a proper full eyetest whilst those who don't just have the read of the wall test?

Cheers

robigunner88

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I don't wear glasses but I wanted to know if I had to go through all that bit. My friends who's joing the Army said that he was never tested on his eyes except for at selection where it was just reading the letters out.
So I was just seeing if this happened with the Royal Marines? But obviously it doesn't.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No problem.

Up until fairly recently the RN/RM used to do the same as the Army & undertake a brief eyetest during the AFCO medical (reading letters off a card). Experience has shown however that laser eye surgery or defects that can be detected by a qualified opthalmist are often missed by an unqualified individual, so the RN have contracted out the eye test to the relevant experts in this field. The Army, being a bigger organisation, presumably have "in-house" qualified experts on hand during selection.

bucko

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I don't wear glasses but I wanted to know if I had to go through all that bit. My friends who's joing the Army said that he was never tested on his eyes except for at selection where it was just reading the letters out.
So I was just seeing if this happened with the Royal Marines? But obviously it doesn't.
join up robison :) ha

robigunner88

Reaction score
ok mate. Don't know if i'll be good enough for this Marine stuff!

callum1234

Reaction score
does anyone know how often you have to have an eyetest whilst in service because im dreading doing well in training and being told one day my eyes arn't good enough and the most annoying thing is its only my left eye thats really bad