Eye test

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
right, just had my eye test before and my optician failed me on account i couldnt read anything on the board- this is what happened- he covered my left eye and said 'can you read anything?' then literally before i could answer he said 'nope' then covered my right eye and said 'can you read anything?' and again before i could answer said 'nope' then straight away he said i had failed EVEN THOUGH I COULD READ THE FIRST 2 LINES ON THE BOARD! he just automatically assumed i couldnt read anything! which is a load of BOLL0CKS!! i even told him i could read the first 2 lines but he completely dismissed it! i was ready to stand up and beat the fu'ck out of him!! he pissed me off so badly and ruined my fuc'king day!! i am writing a letter to my AFCO of complaint and going to a different optician from now on!!

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
what a bell end!! thats harsh as *text deleted**text deleted* mate!

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
did he actually do that.....or are you angry that you failed.

if your not happy with it just go for another one.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
did he actually do that.....or are you angry that you failed.

if your not happy with it just go for another one.

thats what he really did! i told him i could read the first 2 lines and he just didnt care at all! i was in the chair like 30 seconds and he told me i failed, then i said i can read the first 2 lines! and then he went on to tell me because i dont wear my glasses 24/7 i have even more chance of failure, but i only need my glasses for watching telly!!!! or driving but i dont drive

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just book another one with someone else, or somewhere else, shouldnt take long.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just book another one with someone else, or somewhere else, shouldnt take long.

i will, but now i need a new form and that means explaining everything to the AFCO but im sure they will understand! im going to the Newcastle D&A instead, i just cant believe how he can fail me on account i couldnt read anything even though i told him i could read the first 2 lines unaided! he's lucky i didnt give him a couple black eyes!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i dont mind wearing glasses or anything, but i would like to get laser eye surgery so i have no problems but this means waiting another fu'cking year and doing jack sh1t until i apply again! that decision is too hard considering i could be starting RT in just over 14/15 weeks!

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You should just go to a different opticians. See what they say, if you fail again, then your f-cked.

no, i will go to another opticians- if i fail again- the optician is fu'cked not me!

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
jeasus, i could hardly see the top line on my eye test but i still passed. i think she had the hots for me :)

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thing is i even read out the 1st 2 lines to him and just didnt take any notice

Nick Best

Reaction score
F.M.J I failed my medical in June for a technicality similar to this one, I had what they call esotropia (see wikipedia for full info) and a fully accomodative squint the doctor who failed me compared this to someone who had vision through only one eye as i do not have fully binocular vision. I was gutted, however i appealed through my private healthcare (compliment's of orange customer services) and saw an opthalmic surgeon (consultant). This guy was a legend he checked me over and advised me they could see no reason for a bar to entry of service as my eyes are still fully functioning, he wrote a letter to my afco and spoke to the chief medical advisor, and i passed my medical this took around a month to do and I now have my PRMC on the 28th of this month. Speak to your doctor and get a refferal to a consultant as this may help you keep your chin up as there is always light at the end of the tunnel (forgive the pun). if this is what you want as a career then you must o everything within your power to achieve this otherwise you'll be beating yourself up for the rest of your life. Please forgive the long and patronising post and I hope all goes well. Regards Nick

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Before lodging a medical appeal, which requires supporting evidence from a relevant healthcare professional and takes a long time to process: If you have a complaint regarding the manner in which the eyetest was conducted, it may be worth complaining politely & directly to the branch manager or area manager of the commercial opticians you attended.

At worst, they should be able to offer a re-test and it is probably quicker than involving your AFCO.

Your AFCO will most likely advise you to go to another branch or go to a different company, pay yourself, then reclaim the cost.

The problem with medical appeals is that civilian medical professionals are often unaware of the Service medical standards for entry, so whilst they cannot see any reason for your passing, there may well be a unique reason why a condition is not acceptable for military service.

Medical standards in the Armed Forces are set much higher than those in civilian life and what may be considered an acceptable risk to you may compromise others in an operational environment.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
F.M.J I failed my medical in June for a technicality similar to this one, I had what they call esotropia (see wikipedia for full info) and a fully accomodative squint the doctor who failed me compared this to someone who had vision through only one eye as i do not have fully binocular vision. I was gutted, however i appealed through my private healthcare (compliment's of orange customer services) and saw an opthalmic surgeon (consultant). This guy was a legend he checked me over and advised me they could see no reason for a bar to entry of service as my eyes are still fully functioning, he wrote a letter to my afco and spoke to the chief medical advisor, and i passed my medical this took around a month to do and I now have my PRMC on the 28th of this month. Speak to your doctor and get a refferal to a consultant as this may help you keep your chin up as there is always light at the end of the tunnel (forgive the pun). if this is what you want as a career then you must o everything within your power to achieve this otherwise you'll be beating yourself up for the rest of your life. Please forgive the long and patronising post and I hope all goes well. Regards Nick

pardon my ignorance, just had a quick look on wikipedia and had a browse, wont having this condidion effect your ability to aim a rifle? or can you control they "lazy" eye once the other eye is cloesd?

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
why cant my dad have just shagged someone that had 20/20 vision? what a bitch! i personally blame my parents!

Grrrrrrr! Ninja changed the title of my thread! now i cant truely show my anger and rage to all opticians accross the land!

a good tip, if you are an opticians or work in a opticians- STAY THE FU'CK AWAY FROM ME! so if you are an optician living in Ashington or Northumberland, Tyne & Wear OR Newcastle Upon Tyne i would suggest rapidly vacating the area as far away as humanly possible- unless of course you will test and pass me for a eye exam! =] if not >_<

Nick Best

Reaction score
M1664 It being fully accommodative does mean that yes I can control the function it generally does turn inwards from lack of concentration I wear corrective lenses to counteract this. The info on wikipedia just generalizes the condition.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pain in the arse when you fail something that means a lot to you ain't it mate, Knocks the wind from right out your sails.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
why cant my dad have just shagged someone that had 20/20 vision? what a bitch! i personally blame my parents!QUOTE]

buhahahahahaha i bet your mum loves you to bits haha that is quality :biggrin: