Eyesight - the facts

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Halfataff

Halfataff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

Sign me up. Those are dreamy.

2. 12Will12

12Will12 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Anyone know how far away the eyesight chart is in an opticians? And also how big the eyesight chart is? You could give yourself some practice reading small letters before going for the test ;)

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  3. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

The standard is 6 meters but it can be less, the chart size is reduced to allow for being closer.
    There are some online tests that can be done on a computer to give an approximation of how you might do in the formal test

4. 12Will12

12Will12 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    And did you know the minimum line you have to able to read on the eye chart is the top one? thats what 6/60 is. Seems almost impossible to fail...

5. bastillo

bastillo New Member

Hi all,

I'll try to keep this short. Recently PMU'd at my medical due to eyesight. Prescription as follows:
    Right eye: +4.50 sph, -4.00 cyl
    Left eye: +3.50 sph, -2.50 cyl
    Got hold of JSP 950 Leaflet 6-7-4 Annex A (October 2013) which details eyesight problems that are a bar to entry. It states entry will be refused if there are "Refractive errors; greater than a total of +6.00 and -6.00(2) dioptres in any meridian(3)." Doc at the medical told me that when working out if you pass this test or not, one should ignore the signs on the sph and cyl components of each eye and just combine the numbers. This would give me:
    Right eye: 8.50
    Left eye: 6.00
    So a clear fail on the right eye. However the (3) in the quoted statement from the JSP 950 clarifies that when interpreting the eye test results one should "[add] the spherical and cylindrical components if they are of the same sign; eg -5.25D sph plus -0.75D cyl is -6.00D whilst -5.25D sph plus +0.75D cyl is -5.25D." The signs for the two parts of the test for my eyes are different so they shouldn't be combined as the doctor told me and instead just the highest number of the two should be taken as the final value.
    Am I right or have I interpreted this incorrectly?
    Have things changed since October 2013?
    Do I have grounds for an appeal?

Thanks for reading. Best of luck to all.

6. Owen91

Owen91 Royal Marines Commando

When I applied my eyes were -5.25 and -5.00 but with only 0.25 and 0.75sph, I didn't even make it to the medical, I was PMUd at the eye test stage.

I had to appeal a year later following corrective surgery, which was a bit of hassle but definitely worth it now.

7. Owen91

I failed that on mine haha

8. bastillo

bastillo New Member

How was that appeal successful? I thought you had to show your eyes were within the standards before corrective surgery as well as after.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You do.

You also need to be over age 22, a year clear of an approved type of surgery which is demonstrably successful.

If you have evidence from a qualified medical expert in the appropriate field which proves you are already within accepted eyesight parameters then an appeal is worthwhile because opticians seem to make mistakes when grading eyesight standards. For this reason, ignore any amateur advice (mine included) - if the experts get it wrong as frequently as they do, get qualified advice, not random punts from unqualified forum members.

If however the optician and the medical examiner both claim you are outside of acceptable limits, then a successful appeal is unfortunately unlikely.

Good luck.

10. bastillo

bastillo New Member

Thanks for the info. It's not something that was flagged up by the optician, only the doctor. Also, I had previously passed a full medical only three years ago in a separate application with no mention of eyesight problems. Hence why I've been suspicious about the doctor's interpretation of the test results this time around.

11. Ninja_Stoker

In which case, assuming your eyesight has not deteriorated, it is worth getting an eyesight test and grading independently & submitting an appeal.

It's appreciated other people's experiences are given in good faith but you need irrefutable, qualified evidence to appeal as everyone is different.

Good luck.

12. Owen91

ye I passed out in March.

13. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
  14. keeno_tait88

keeno_tait88 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hi! This is a bit confusing for me aha, i don't quite understand all the numbers and the grading even after reading through it more times I can count haha. I got 6/5 on my right eye and 6/7.5 on my left eye for unaided, would this not be the required standard and will I have to wait until I am 22 to have laser eye surgery

• Seen Seen x 1
  15. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hiya mate the best thing to do is go into boots or any opticians and print the eyesight requirements off and ask them to test you're eyes to see if you fit the requirements.

• Seen Seen x 1
  16. keeno_tait88

keeno_tait88 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Okay will do, thanks

17. Bluenosejack

Bluenosejack New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm pretty sure i can reach the required standard on a chart reading the letters. However how strict are they on the near acurity N5 part?

I understand you read a paragraph in small print up close but my right eye cant read the n5 small print. Left can easily. And with both together I'm fine.

Just to show what i mean. I'm guessing its this?

Attached Files:

18. Ninja_Stoker

You need to meet the visual acuity standards for each eye independently.

19. Bish94

Bish94 Member

If you are looking to join following laser eye surgery (as I am) do you have to wait for a year after the surgery or a year after the last check up? This last check up for me was a few months after the surgery and is when my eyes were last tested. Thanks in advance

20. Ninja_Stoker

Over the age of 22 when surgery is undertaken, twelve months after successful surgery & demonstrable pre-operative prescription, post operative prescription & evidence of stability, post op.