Eyesight - the facts

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Joebro747

Joebro747 New Member

I have read through this thread endless times, but I still have to ask. I am a dual citizen with the U.S. and U.K. and I am wanting to serve. The U.S. Marines are offering me a spot for their Platoon Leadership Course, but I really want to be a Royal Marine. The issue is my eyes. They don't meet U.K. regulation. I am willing to wait till I'm 22 and then the 12 months, but is there no chance of a waiver for the pre-op +6.5 that I currently have? Even if it is fully taken care and I am corrected fully? I ask because the U.S. is offering a waiver for training and surgery from the Navy after I complete training, along with many other rather tempting offers. I don't want to quit on the Royal Marines, but I also don't want to keep slamming my head into a closed door when another one is appearing to open.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

I've never heard of a medical waiver for those with a pre-operative prescription outside of the minimum standard for entry.

A definitive answer can only be given by the RN Medical Manager - it may be worth a letter (enclosing your current prescription) but if you have a job offer from the USMC with a medical waiver 'in your pocket already', I'd be inclined to grab it with both hands.

The RN Medical Manager postal address is:

RM MMSO3
    Captain Naval Recruiting
    Jago Road
    Building 1/080
    HM Naval base
    Portsmouth
    Hants
    PO1 3LU

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joebro747

Joebro747 New Member

Thank you so much! I was having a hard time trying to figure out were to go with this!!

4. Flying Pig

Flying Pig New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker

Hey, this thread is rather old - do you know if those eye sight statistics are up to date?

RM Other Ranks VA III, CP4

Except

Aircrew VA I, CP1
    Snipers VA I*, CP3
    Landing Craft VA I*text deleted*, CP2
    Swimmer Canoeists VA III*text deleted*text deleted* CP3*

(*Contact lenses not permitted)

My eyesight falls under VA 2, CP1 uncorrected / VA1 CP1 corrected. So if the above information is still current, it means I would be eligible to apply for Swimmer Canoeists and any other role bar landing, sniping or aircrew?

Would appreciate clarification, thank you :)

5. Ninja_Stoker

6. OriginalHobo

OriginalHobo New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This may be a stupid question but if I was to pass out and then decide to get laser eye surgery whilst on leave, will I still need to 22 years old?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Yep. Those under age 22 would make themselves P8 (Permanently Medically Unfit) and face medical discharge.

In all cases those serving and contemplating private surgery must do so in consultation with the unit Medical Officer. There is no doubt in my mind that there will be those who haven't but it would be unwise in the extreme to jeopardise your career unnecessarily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Another stupid, slightly embarrassing one actually, I haven't seen it spoken about anywhere. Dental hygiene, its obviously a big thing right? And you'd expect a guy to have really good dental hygiene or at least all of his teeth intact by the time he applies, because it doesn't look like you are committed if you cant be bothered fixing whatever problems you might have. How strict is the medical about it? It hasn't seemed to come up anywhere and I've always been told that they check your teeth too. Would damaged gums due to an over bite be an issue? And if so how long after having braces can one apply? Thank you.

9. Ninja_Stoker

If the Doc looks in your mouth and sees you are clearly in need of dental treatment, then you can be made TMU. In any event, whilst dental treatment is free after you join, you really don't want to be spending hours in the dentists chair then having to play catch-up with the rest of your troop.

My understanding is the Navy now has an orthodontist but you need to be at the removable retainer stage of treatment rather than in the fixed brace stage in order to be passed fit to enter.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  10. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thank you so much for that, it's been bugging me for ages.

11. Massive85

Massive85 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi. New to this forum. I am 30 years old and was looking to join the RMR. I have been training really hard before i apply and have lost 14lbs in the process. I have been gathering all the info i need and spoke to one of the guys at the Commando centre at Tyne branch.

I was all set to apply when i suddenly remembered i have a weak left eye :(.
    Found this forum and relised my right eye is 6/6 VA but unfortunately my left eye is 6/30 VA. My missus is an optician so she asked her optometrists friend to try and get me to a 6/24 VA so i could qualify but no matter how hard i tried i just couldn't read the line of letters. Its so frustrating because if i close my right eye i can see and could go for a jog around the park no probs but i just cant see the poxy letters.

The guy at the Commando centre told me to apply anyway but dont think theres much point, is there?
    Thanks for putting this subject together Ninja. Its been a huge help even though i am absolutely devastated.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry to hear of your circumstances, I really wish there was some magic bullet for this issue. As a careers adviser we are not permitted to advise applicants to undergo surgery, but in any case, the recovery periods, if it were feasible, may well rule you out with regard the age constraints.

My advice? Ask your AFCO if they would permit you to undergo an eyetest via Boots Opticians (our contracted optician) prior to undergoing further stages of selection. It may seem pointless but often different opticians reach different conclusions. If it works in your favour, you've cracked-it. If not, you'll only have confirmed irrefutably what you already know.

Best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Massive85

Massive85 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks Ninja. Laser eye surgery would work with my eye unfortunately. The missus explained to me a few days ago why it wouldnt work but i cant really remember what she said. I have had it since birth so its never stopped me from doing anything before and this is why i forgot about it. *text deleted*. But yeah i will do one with boots to see what they say. Nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MrILoveRoyalMarines

MrILoveRoyalMarines New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What does e) mean?

15. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

Basically you need to have 2 standard eye tests at least 6 months apart that show that both eyes are the same spherical reading (within 0.5)

16. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Under the Laser Eye Surgery section? It basically means that your eyes are stable; that there isn't a change in what you're able to see.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. MrILoveRoyalMarines

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So after you have laser eye surgery ??

18. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

It is under the Lazer Eye Surgery section so.... yes ;) was this a serious question? :D

19. MrILoveRoyalMarines

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yes it was i feel stupid now

20. Ninja_Stoker

I think I'd have tried to bluff my way out of that one ;)

• Like Like x 2