Eyesight - the facts

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, Sep 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You aren't downgraded for laser eye surgery whilst serving. Most people get it done on leave.

The only reason you are downgraded prior to joining is to establish the op is a success & has stabilised. If it isn't a success and you no longer meet the minimal eye standards whilst serving, you will be medically discharged.

• Like Like x 1
  2. /Green ops/

/Green ops/ New Member

Is it common for the surgery to go wrong and be discharged?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Not that I'm aware of.

If contemplating letting someone shoot laser beams at your eyeballs, it would be prudent to investigate the success rate of that particular procedure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. /Green ops/

/Green ops/ New Member

One more question I'd okay when you're of leave and get laser eye surgery when you go back what happens? Also do you let them know you're having it done?

5. Ninja_Stoker

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. /Green ops/

/Green ops/ New Member

Went to my opticians today and I asked what my VA visual acuity was he check my eyes ect and said 6/7..what dose that mean?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ask the optician to grade your eyesight using the eyesight parameters at the beginning of this thread.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Cosworth12

Cosworth12 New Member

I just wondering I'm va2 and I've got a prescription for glasses is it a requirement to wear glasses as I haven't ever wore glasses and feel I don't need them ?

9. Ninja_Stoker

As long as you can read maps, hit targets outdoors and undertake the classroom studies then it's up to you. You must take glasses if you have a prescription because if you find out you actually do need them for certain evolutions, at least they are instantly available.

10. Cosworth12

Cosworth12 New Member

Nice one thank you

11. JE-92

JE-92 Member

I've got a question regarding laser eye surgery. I'm due to begin training on the 1st of February, having completed the application process am I allowed to undergo laser eye surgery before I commenced training?

12. Ninja_Stoker

In short, only if you wish to defer entry for 12 months.

If your medical circumstances change between passing the medical examination & entry, you must inform your AFCO or run the risk of being medically discharged.

Better to wait until you complete recruit training.

13. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    A quick question, I have a weaker left eye and used to wear glasses however for the past 10 years the opticians have said that my right eye more than compensates for my left and I don't need to wear glasses...

Do you think it would be best to get an updated opticians report and take glasses with me to the medical just in case ?

14. Ninja_Stoker

You will undergo a service eye test prior to your medical. Wait until the optician advises.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Halfataff

Halfataff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Didn't see it mentioned in the first part of this post but what are the rules regarding contact lenses? I've passed my medical and the eye test included within that, (can't remember off the top of my head what category I fell into) but basically what I'm asking is can you wear contact lenses during training? Or am I going to be issued with a massive pair of Pussers spectacles?

16. Ninja_Stoker

Both.

You cannot wear contacts when wearing the General Service Respirator (GSR), so you get a Gucci set of prescription lenses:

[​IMG]

In addition, you are advised to take some glasses for use in the field, if necessary, when contacts are impractical due to the environment or climate.

17. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Funky glasses, excited to try them on.

18. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, they clip into the GSR, but what you could do is attach a couple of rubber suckers on the "t-bar" to hold them onto your forehead for that uber-cool look.

• Like Like x 1
  19. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Whats the case for when you're on night ops using night vision?

20. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, I think that's best answered by a serving Royal as I don't know whether night vision optics have a magnification capability.

It would be interesting trying to conduct night ops in a CBRN environment, I guess.

• Seen Seen x 1