Eyesight?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Joshusky, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I have recently asked for lens prescription at my local specsavers as I couldn't remember what my vision was. Apparently my refractive error is -1.25 in each eye or 6/20 in visual acuity. Am I out of the threshold for being able to apply? Saying this, some days my eye sight is practically perfect and I can walk around without my glasses on so I don't know how this would affect my application.

Also if I were to get laser eye surgery before I was 22, am I completely barred from entry completely and forever or just until I reach 22?

I am just bothered by this because I have actually put so much effort into my fitness, completely changed my diet, joined a gym, boxing classes and also go swimming and to get this far and be just out of the threshold or be barred from it if I have laser eye surgery would be a huge blow as this is something I have set my mind to for years now

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tides

Tides New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I had my laser eye surgery done at the age of 21 (in 2010) . At the time, my career's officer didn't take issue and simply told me to return in a year's time, to allow sufficient time for the eyes to heal.

Older now, and with continued interest in joining the RM, I submitted my application yesterday. I didn't think it was a problem before, but now after reading this I'm concerned my application will not reach a satisfactory conclusion.

@Ninja_Stoker Do they not make any exceptions?

4. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    +/-6.0 diopters? That is pretty lax isn't it? or am I not understanding the numbers correctly? Isn't more than +/-6.0 diopters practically full blurrage of vision without aid?

5. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Tides Yeah it is an awkward situation, want to get it done now so it is over and done with but knowing that it is possibly a complete barr to entry is putting me off, I just hope my vision is decent enough as it is so I can jump straight in and not wait until I'm after 22 because I want to join as soon as possible

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Only one way to find out.

Best bet? Apply online then when your AFCO call to arrange the recruit test, state your circumstance and drop-in your medical notes surrounding you surgery together with copies of your pre-operative and post-op prescriptions demonstrating stability.

Request your medical records are forwarded to the Service Entry Medical Cell (SEMC) for review prior to re-entering into the selection process.

I believe there maybe grounds for appeal given that your surgery was undertaken prior to the change in age requirements - if all other criteria is met.

My tip for anyone aspiring to join the Corps? Get yourself PRMC ready before applying - if you look the part from day one, the odds are more in your favour than a person rocking-up, asking for a waiver, then delaying through lack of prep.

Show you mean business rather than project the image of a last gasp attempt of a person only prepared to get fit if assured before going to through the motions.

Claiming you've always wanted to join after 8 years of not bothering then being gutted after expending time getting fit, may not always cut the mustard.

Getting fit & losing weight is not a bad thing, wherever life takes you.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

If you have laser surgery under the age of 22 years it's a bar to entry.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rm97

Rm97 New Member

Is that tri service or just for the RMs? Thanks

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

RN/RM.

You'd have to ask the other services what their policy is.

10. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Mate I got through training with 1.75 in one eye and 2.25 in the other. Eye test isn't as bad as you think it is. Laser eye surgery is serious admin and if it goes wrong, thats you out the game! Get some contact lenses and crack on!

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. Tides

Tides New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I made a call to my AFCO and the chap who answered the phone was not sure about the age restriction for laser eye surgery. He asked his colleague and he was also unsure.

However, they did send me an attachment with information pertaining to the relevant policy, and in particular, that of laser eye surgery.

Where 22 years old is mentioned as a criteria it simply states:

Similarly, the RN eligibility and guidance notes specifies that.."having undergone laser eye surgery, they must be over the age of 22 on application and months must have elapsed post procedure."

I interpreted "application", as in the request to join the RN/RM.
    And if this was the case, it makes sense not to accept applications coming from those who've had laser eye surgery, but whose eyes are still developing (<22 years old). Although, it would make less sense when the eyes are already fully developed and then proven to be at appropriate standard in accordance to the rest of the eyesight policy.

Either way, they've booked me in for a recruitment test and thereafter, it'll probably be determined when I get my medical/eye tests done.

12. Tides

Tides New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @Ninja_Stoker it seems you've conflated my post with @Joshusky ? I believe Josh is <22 years, but it is me that has taken 8 years to apply again. In case you were aiming it at me, it's not because "I couldn't be bothered".

• Seen Seen x 1
  13. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Tides I'm currently 20 years old, finish uni when I'm 21 and want to go straight into application. Don't want to hold off another 2 years to get laser eye surgery and recovery time so I'm just going to hope for the best and hope my eyesight is good enough.

14. MassamanDave

MassamanDave New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I've got similar prescription to you, did you wear glasses or contacts throughout training? Do you get issued frames aswell?

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just wondering Ninja... do you know if medical entry standards on this issue are different to serving standards? For example, if a trained RN or RM rank aged nineteen had an eyeball incineration procedure would he or she still be eligible to serve?

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I think the bottom line is applicants should apply for definitive medical advice as there appears to be ambiguity.

For those serving, as long as the med centre approves it, it's OK.

All that said, the medical standards for entry differ for those currently serving.

There's the odd anomaly whereby someone serving can have a condition/injury or surgical procedure which doesn't result in discharge.. BUT if they leave and reapply, they could be barred from re-entry as the standards are more stringent.

I have, for example come across Marines who've had ACL reconstruction surgery or orthotic insoles prescribed whilst serving, without issue, but been knocked-back after leaving and trying to rejoin.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Apologies if wires were crossed.

Point is, if deferring applying for 8 years, then regardless of circumstances, don't apply unless 100% good to go if serious about joining

Good luck.

18. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Always wore contacts, never glasses. They’re completely unpractical, one accidental application of cam cream on a lense and they’re useless! And they’ll just fall off your face when your doing phys as well. Contacts are perfect

• Like Like x 1
  19. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Bet they're fun to put in when it's dark and raining!

20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Do you use dailies or monthly’s? Reason I ask is I wear contacts and I’m classed as VA2 so basically good to go, was just wondering how I’d get them delivered when away/cleaning of lenses etc?