Eyesight?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Joshusky, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I’ll throw in my threepence on the topic if I may. Daily disposable contacts are likely to be a more convenient, more hygienic and safer option than, say, rigid gas permeable contacts in a RT environment. Hygiene with contacts is very important. Even rinsing gas permeable contacts with regular tap water after using contact cleaning fluids can apparently introduce nasty eye-eating diseases.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

You can also get silicon based contact lenses that are non rigid contact lenses. They’re about a quid an eye but they don’t dry out and you can keep them in your eyes for extended periods of time. I’ve used them every time I go into the field and never had a problem. Always carry a set of glasses in case one falls out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I currently use monthly lenses that I can wear for up to 7 days but I’ve always been naughty with my lenses and have worn them for longer periods, luckily I’ve had no eye problems at all other that a rocket from my opticians!!

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

5. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I’ve got a family friend who wore a set of contact lenses in a hot tub while on holiday. When to the doctor when he got home complaining of eye pain a few weeks later he’s 90% blind in that eye and the doc fears he won’t regain the sight. He had a bacterial infection which essentially ate away at his cornea.

Just be aware of the risks and even though they’re minimal just remember to be as careful as you can!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I always take them out for swimming for that reason! My optician has said they are on in the shower as long as I close my eyes whilst washing my hair/face

• Like Like x 1
  7. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I went dailies because then I didn't have the issue if having to look after them at the end of every day, plus it meant I could have plenty spare g2g. Get them delivered straight to lympstone if you want, or have a parent send them in if they get delivered to home

8. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ll definitly try that although mine will be sent to HMS RALEIGH ;)

9. J20012001

J20012001 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Just out of interest is there many Royal Marines with glasses ?

10. 12Will12

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    :eek:

11. 12Will12

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah plenty, but I think contacts are always the preferred option if they do wear glasses

• Like Like x 1
  12. J20012001

J20012001 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah alright will change over next eye test then, Thanks

13. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Ha I’m too old to even attempt it