Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Eyesight?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Joshusky, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I’ll throw in my threepence on the topic if I may. Daily disposable contacts are likely to be a more convenient, more hygienic and safer option than, say, rigid gas permeable contacts in a RT environment. Hygiene with contacts is very important. Even rinsing gas permeable contacts with regular tap water after using contact cleaning fluids can apparently introduce nasty eye-eating diseases.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

You can also get silicon based contact lenses that are non rigid contact lenses. They’re about a quid an eye but they don’t dry out and you can keep them in your eyes for extended periods of time. I’ve used them every time I go into the field and never had a problem. Always carry a set of glasses in case one falls out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I currently use monthly lenses that I can wear for up to 7 days but I’ve always been naughty with my lenses and have worn them for longer periods, luckily I’ve had no eye problems at all other that a rocket from my opticians!!

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

5. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I’ve got a family friend who wore a set of contact lenses in a hot tub while on holiday. When to the doctor when he got home complaining of eye pain a few weeks later he’s 90% blind in that eye and the doc fears he won’t regain the sight. He had a bacterial infection which essentially ate away at his cornea.

Just be aware of the risks and even though they’re minimal just remember to be as careful as you can!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I always take them out for swimming for that reason! My optician has said they are on in the shower as long as I close my eyes whilst washing my hair/face

• Like Like x 1
  7. 12Will12

12Will12 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I went dailies because then I didn't have the issue if having to look after them at the end of every day, plus it meant I could have plenty spare g2g. Get them delivered straight to lympstone if you want, or have a parent send them in if they get delivered to home

8. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yeah I’ll definitly try that although mine will be sent to HMS RALEIGH ;)

9. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Just out of interest is there many Royal Marines with glasses ?

10. 12Will12

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    :eek:

11. 12Will12

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah plenty, but I think contacts are always the preferred option if they do wear glasses

• Like Like x 1
  12. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah alright will change over next eye test then, Thanks

13. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Ha I’m too old to even attempt it

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

15. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

My eyesight is shocking , I wore contacts on black alligator a few years ago and got an eye infection in a sand storm. Also caught one on a generic ex on Dartmoor so now I just wear glasses. Pusser can give you inserts for the virtis eye pro if you fill out the extremely hard to locate medical form and they look hilarious too so the lads can have some free morale.

Save money and just wear glasses. Some hilarious d*text deleted** will call you Harry Potter , Susat , private joker , spunk deflector , biggles , penfold , himmler , speccy , 4 eyes , nerdtron etc though...

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Would you say it's fine to go through Recruit training with glasses because I'm considering it. Also himmler is one of my most common nicknames so I think I could ride out the piss taking :D

17. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

You’ll be given issue glasses. They are awful and break in a wind and you’ll only get good ones when you pass out but yeah , you’ll be fine.

I was just susat

• Like Like x 1
  18. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah alright, thanks.

• Like Like x 1