F2F - travel issue

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
So I’m currently living in Manchester but my application is being processed by the Edinburgh AFCO as I’m originally from there and subsequently my medical has been booked in Edinburgh. My medical is booked on Tuesday 13th of next week and I’m due to begin ROP on the 26th of this month and the way I see it, I have two options.

Reschedule my appointment in Manchester but potentially not receive a date before the 26th.

Or Travel up to Edinburgh and travel back down. should it be the second option, is there anyway I can claim back travel expenses at a later date?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I’m currently living in Manchester but my application is being processed by the Edinburgh AFCO as I’m originally from there and subsequently my medical has been booked in Edinburgh.
Four hours travel by road to a medical appointment and then four hours travel back home? Even longer by public transport. Plus it doesn't exactly mesh with government (both UK and Scotland) advice about minimising travel because of COVID-19 circumstances.

@The guide might comment if he spots this.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Normally no you cannot re-claim exspences particularly as this fall's down to you telling your AFCO / Capita where you are located - the AFCO may see if possible somehow. Did it not dawn in you that your AFCO was a different place to where you are living??? So this would happen, you need to touch base with yous AFCO asap as medicals are in short supply , it may be a case of you biting the bullet and paying for your trip! as you may not get a local one in time if that's the case you defer to another entry

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I stay near Edinburgh and it was the Edinburgh office that dealt with my sons application.
It would take you 3-4 hours to get to Edinburgh from Manchester - not sure if there's a train directly from there or you would need to go via Glasgow Central. That would at at least another hour. Is your medical definitely in Edinburgh? The reason I ask is the practice my son was sent to took us about 40 minutes to drive to and would have been extremely difficult to get to by public transport. The place could have an EH postcode but not be in Edinburgh if you get my drift. We stay between Edinburgh and Glasgow. A town 10 minutes from me has an Edinburgh postcode. If you can drive, it would possibly be easier but still time consuming.
It would make sense to speak to your careers advisor. From a logistical point of view, you're less likely to get held up or lost in Manchester as you would know the area better.

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
So my CA knew I had moved but as I’m a rejoin and have “built a rapport” with them they didn’t want to let go of me to the Manchester office. I spoke with him yesterday and he said unfortunately due to a backlog of applicants I wouldn’t be able to reschedule in time, nor could I be reimbursed. I decided that due to the importance of this I booked a day return on the train because at the end of the day it’s my future we’re talking about here and what’s the cost of a train ticket in a brilliant career

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
Thanks for the support, my world might come crashing down should I fail. 8 + hours travel and missing my intake

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Had you told Edinburgh AFCO you wanted your medical booked in Manchester, that could have been arranged, with sufficient notice from the outset.

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
The possibility of it was discussed to save the travel but my confirmation came through on Friday. On another note; TMU based on my blood pressure being a tad high. Apparently it takes 2 weeks to sort (due to start in 2 weeks). My CA is digging out for me to get it sorted but I guess we shall see. A bit gash to travel so far for that

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
On another note; TMU based on my blood pressure being a tad high. Apparently it takes 2 weeks to sort (due to start in 2 weeks). My CA is digging out for me to get it sorted but I guess we shall see. A bit gash to travel so far for that
Youch.

Please tell me you didn't drink coffee/energy drinks on the train?

Oddly, this used to happen to guys attending the PJFT (not the vPJFT) and, against the logic of my mechanical mind, a short jog prior to arrival at the gym would often drop the blood pressure.

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
No no, it’s happened in the past with Medicals that are pass or fail if that makes sense. The idea of failing the BP tests makes me stress and then they say relax a few minutes and then it just makes it worse. Any other time I’ve had my BP taken in hospital etc it’s been absolutely fine

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
I didn’t actually see what he wrote down or recorded but I spoke to my girlfriend who’s a trauma nurse and she mentioned white coat syndrome and how her patients tend to have high blood pressure initially. Breathing exercises and such tend to help so I’ll definitely incorporate that, cheers!

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I worked with someone who had that. He was also a massive hypochondriac. I had to take his blood pressure 7 times in 12 hrs because he was convinced he was ill. I'm an emergency responder at work. 12hrs of me saying 'go speak to your GP'.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
There is a normal range which differs with age, sex and build. However as a general guide ideal blood pressure is considered to be anywhere between 90/60mmHg and 120/80mmHg. High BP is considered to be 140/90mmHg or higher.

My point being you must be towards the upper end of the normal range. Anxiety then pushing you over. Focus on getting your normal range back into that ideal zone. Perhaps get your better half to monitor your BP so you can see. In the meantime explore and identify why you may have high blood pressure outside of “white coat syndrome”. Fingers crossed for you.

Best of luck.

HotelBravoMike

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, my partner has access to a manual and digital BP monitor to understand more about it and that can hopefully shed some light

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
I recall taking a BP reading once and the patient very politely asked if I could wait a moment whilst he closed his eyes and calmed himself down. Nobody had an issue.

Just work on mindfulness and slowing your breathing. Like any drill it takes practice.