Face to face medical. What should I expect?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Vermilionleech, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Vermilionleech

Vermilionleech New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hello everyone

I have the face to face medical this Monday coming (24th), was just wondering what to expect and if there is anything I should be doing in preparation for that. I've already been held back with a couple of things, so if I can just get this done and squared away, I can just forget about it and focus on whats important.

I've had a quick look around, and a few people mentioned that some acne may get in the way? I'm 17, so my skin isn't exactly 100% clear. Is there any clarification when it comes to this?

Cheers guys:)

2. sam_webb97

sam_webb97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Nothing really the medical is nothing to worry about as long as you don't have a bad medical history then it might take longer for them to get your medical notes from your doctor. How's your fitness as you will do the PJFT 14-28 days after your medical

3. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Fitness isnt shocking, but its not up to par either. Best effort on running on the road is 12:20. But I find that I can cut off a minute every 2 weeks or so. Looking to start practicing at least once a week at my local leisure centre on the treadmills there. I should be okay (hate using that phrase *text deleted*), I have 4 weeks to drop another 2-3 minutes. Cutting it close I know, but I just have to deal with it.

4. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    You definitely need to crack that treadmill mate, you need to be doing a mock PJFT two or three times a week if you want a good chance. I think you're underestimating how much of a difference there is between an 8 minute mile and a 6 minute mile.

5. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I won't come up with excuses for myself. I know I'm not where I should be.

So doing the mock pjft is what you'd suggest for me?

6. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Definitely. Once the medical is done you have to do the PJFT within 2-4 weeks, which doesn't give you a huge amount of time to practise so you need to do as much as possible. Not to the point where you're exhausting yourself or doing yourself an injury mind, two or three times a week should be enough. I'd probably go so far as to say to cut road running out completely for now until it's over with. Your PRMC can be delayed, your PJFT cannot.

7. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Do you think it's still achievable to pass? In your opinion

8. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yes, if you put your mind to it. That said, you're further along in the process than me, I've just sent off a three month exercise diary due to being declared TMU last year, so I won't have my medical for another few weeks, so I can't claim to be an expert.

You've got your age and probably your weight in your favour, your body is perfectly capable of doing the PJFT, you've just got to train hard and have the right state of mind.

9. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    So, what would you recommend for me to improve it? Like, if you had to write a template for the week sort of deal.

For example:
    Mon: Squats & Calisthenics
    Tues: Rest
    Wed: Mock PJFT | Bench & calisthenics
    Thurs: Deadlift & Calisthenics
    Fri: Mock PJFT | OHP & calisthenics
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: 3 miles

Something like that?
    I have a background in powerlifting. So, I like keeping the big 3 (and ohp) in my training to stay healthy and strong. I honestly believe I wouldn't have the stats I have (for pull ups push ups etc) without them.

10. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    And I forgot to mention, the calisthenics portion would be doing 50 pull ups, and 100 push ups and sit ups. Broken up into sets.

11. EdV

EdV Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What I did in the run up to PJFT is every time I stepped in the gym the first thing I would do is get on the treadmill, set it at 2% incline, and run a 12 minute 1.5. At the end, I'd either do my workout, or rest 1 minute, carry on at 15kmph for as long as I could (depending how I felt, usually). Then do my workout, then before I left, back on the treadmill, 2% incline, and do intervals for 1.5 miles. So do 1 minute jog, 1 minute as fast as you can manage, back down to a jog etc. If you can't run after the jog, take it to a walk, then back up, but do 1.5 miles.

Make sure the treadmill is always 2% incline. If it isn't, you trick yourself into thinking you can do a 7 minute 1.5 and then die after 200 metres when you put it on an incline. I'd say you're fine to not do a run on your squat day, but maybe do an extra treadmill run on your deadlift day.

Once the PJFT is cracked, move onto the road.

12. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @EdV has given you a good suggestion there, though that example routine you've laid out doesn't sound too bad either, although I'd recommend a longer run than 3 miles, consider upping it to 5 to increase your stamina.

Also, is it normal for powerlifters to only do one of the big three on each day? Most routines I see seem to have you squatting three times a week.

13. Vermilionleech

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Well the way I've done it mostly is just once a week for each lift. And it's worked for me mostly. Squatted 145kg, benched 90, deadlifted 180 (all in comp) and over head is 65kg X 1.

Bench is kinda behind admittedly.