Facial Hair (POC/AIB)

Stroll147

Reaction score
If this wins the sites most random/stupid/weird question please don't hesitiate to let me know:D This is a genuine question so please bear with me, during POC/AIB etc. should I shave or have facial hair. I will be 17/just 18 when i go through POC and AIB and therefore I'm wondering if me having facial hair will make a difference, obviously they won't go "oh he's got facial hair he must be mature" but more of a subconscious thing that makes me seem older/more mature?

Please answer genuinely, thanks.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I will be 17/just 18 when i go through POC and AIB and therefore I'm wondering if me having facial hair will make a difference, obviously they won't go "oh he's got facial hair he must be mature" but more of a subconscious thing that makes me seem older/more mature?
As a civilian in the application process your facial hair is your business. Ultimately it's your call.

AIB will dig much, much deeper than mere appearances. A beard will not project an illusion of maturity.

Stroll147

Reaction score
As a civilian in the application process your facial hair is your business. Ultimately it's your call.

AIB will dig much, much deeper than mere appearances. A beard will not project an illusion of maturity.
That is not what I am trying to do, I was struggling to get through my what I am trying to say which is probably why that's what it seems. It's more just a subconscious thing like if they see a baby faced kid walk in going up against 22-25 year olds that may subconsciously be a negative in their head that leads them to think that the candidate is not mature enough at that young age, I'm sorry if that makes no sense but hopefully that helps explain my point more - thanks for your answer.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's more just a subconscious thing like if they see a baby faced kid walk in going up against 22-25 year olds that may subconsciously be a negative in their head...
For the avoidance of doubt and as a baby-faced sixty-year-old myself my comment was intended to convey that appearances are superficial. If a beard gives you confidence then go for it.

What matters to AIB is how one projects personality, conducts oneself and demonstrates the significant qualities associated with the job being applied for.

Stroll147

Reaction score
For the avoidance of doubt and as a baby-faced sixty-year-old myself my comment was intended to convey that appearances are superficial. If a beard gives you confidence then go for it.

What matters to AIB is how one projects personality, conducts oneself and demonstrates the significant qualities associated with the job being applied for.
Understood, so if you tick all the boxes they won't mind that you are/look 17-18. Thanks a lot.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Stroll147

Don't worry about who you are up against. Nobody expects you to be more mature than the 25 year olds. It is how you compare to others your age that counts. The service needs officers of all ages and life experience. Older guys may appear to have age on their side, but someone who starts training at 25 does not have time on their side for career progression, put simply if you have not promoted sufficiently by a certain age you may not be offered an extension

This was explained to us at CTC by the OC of the CTW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Call me a traditionalist, but whilst I 100% agree it should not matter one jot whether you are unshaven or have long hair, I seem to recall people attending selection courses are expected to shave.

It's entirely possible I maybe mistaken and things may have changed more recently, but I do remember one of 'my' candidates arriving for PRMC with an Afro, which didn't go down too well. My argument was that he hadn't joined yet, which was grudgingly accepted. Being right but standing out isn't always a great idea.

I'm sure one of the careers advisers will update/correct as appropriate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to add on this, my own thoughts are the regulations should apply equally regardless of gender in these days of diversity and inclusivity. As radical as it sounds, males & females should have the same regulations with regard jewellery & the length of hair permitted, in my opinion...whilst appreciating many would disagree.

That said, given that the current regulations in these areas are far from "equal ops" despite claims to the contrary, it makes absolute sense to "look the part" if you genuinely want the job and although we strive not to use unconscious bias, if you can't be bothered to look smart, first impressions can send the wrong impression (rightly or wrongly).

I remember once interviewing a young lady who, to be fair, looked like she had been dragged through a hedge backwards with long hair that was matted and dishevelled and not seen a comb or brush for quite some time. Coupled with her attitude, which made me wonder why she bothered coming for an interview, albeit 15 minutes later than scheduled, it resulted in a re-interview a few months later. Now we all know we shouldn't form an opinion and should not pre-judge but, it makes sense to give yourself the best opportunity of being selected.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That is not what I am trying to do, I was struggling to get through my what I am trying to say which is probably why that's what it seems. It's more just a subconscious thing like if they see a baby faced kid walk in going up against 22-25 year olds that may subconsciously be a negative in their head that leads them to think that the candidate is not mature enough at that young age, I'm sorry if that makes no sense but hopefully that helps explain my point more - thanks for your answer.

Don’t attract attention to yourself. Unless you look like Leonidas, get rid of any scraggly face pubes and look smart and disciplined.
No one should care whether you look babyfaced or not, if you can do the job then fair one. Just be prepared for some light banter though..