Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

failed medical

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by SDWR, Mar 14, 2019.

1. SDWR

SDWR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I just received a message saying I had failed the medical however didn't get any information saying why I had failed. Does anyone know if there's a way of finding out the reasons for failure in order to try and appeal.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Firstly, don't flap. Wait for an explanation and take it from there. It is not uncommon for applicants to be declared TMU or PMU. For many it is a hurdle which can be overcome by providing evidence to clear up a doubt about a specific medical issue. Best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You should receive a letter detailing the reason.

Your AFCO may not know anything other than the fact you have not been cleared at the medical stage, which probably explains why it's rather vague (medical confidentiality).

Have you had the triage call, were you TMU pending information from your GP or have you simply submitted a medical questionnaire and been told you haven't met the medical standards for entry?

In my experience, most people will already have an inkling of what the issue is about.

4. SDWR

SDWR New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply. I had the call and was TMU but also had the physical examination. I have received a letter but it didn't detail any reasons. There are one or two issues that may have been the reason however I have no idea which one or if it was both.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You'll get a generic medical fail letter off your careers adviser/AFCO which will not detail the reason. You should also get a letter off Capita, detailing the reason.

It may well be you could in future meet the medical standard for entry - if in doubt, write back to the sender of the Capita letter, once received and ask the question, "under what circumstances could I, in future meet the medical standards for entry?".

Best of luck.

6. Thomo

Thomo New Member

Seems an odd way to deliver the bad news - tell them they have failed twice.

7. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What you can do is get on the phone to your AFCO, ask for the number of Capita (as it’s impossible to find the correct number online) and ask them what the issue is if you are particularly keen to start gathering and supplying evidence against the TMU. When dealing with Capita a little bit of persistence and chasing up can be really helpful otherwise your application can get lost in the huge box ticking machine.