Failed PJFT

Liam2468

Reaction score
Just got back from the gym and got a 12.12 and didn't complete the second run as i cramped up massively, i'm frustrated as i wish i had just carried on through the pain. Anyone know what i will have to do next?
Cheers

X-Sleeman

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from the gym and got a 12.12 and didn't complete the second run as i cramped up massively, i'm frustrated as i wish i had just carried on through the pain. Anyone know what i will have to do next?
Cheers
You'll be able to re-take the run. I don't know when though, maybe after a month or so....

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you had finished the 2nd run in under 11mins even though it's a fail you can retake within 2 weeks.

Unfortunately as you 'wrapped' and didn't finish I'm pretty sure the wait is 8 weeks....

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you had finished the 2nd run in under 11mins even though it's a fail you can retake within 2 weeks.

Unfortunately as you 'wrapped' and didn't finish I'm pretty sure the wait is 8 weeks....
Correct.

If the second run is completed within 10% (11 mins) a retake is possible in less than 8 weeks, otherwise it's 8 weeks.

The gym will email your AFCO, your AFCO will send a 2nd attempt letter in 8 weeks.

It maybe as well to touch base with your AFCO or they may give you a ring to ask what happened.

Liam2468

Reaction score
Cheers for the advise guys, yeh i just got off the phone with my AFCO and they've confirmed it's going to be an eight week wait until a retake is possible.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You're not the first, you're definitely not going to be the last.

Hopefully the psychological size ten on the posterior will suffice.

Best of luck

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You can do it! Just don't worry about it now its in the past, just make sure you do lots of pracise PJFT's on treadmills and make sure your time is reletivley good then on the day next time, you will have adrenaline and run like an animal.

Sclark5427

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry mate keep your head up and keep training im sure you will smash it next time!!!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, guess it was just an 'off' day for you but use it as a motivator. Think of it this way - whatever time you would of got if you'd passed, you can now beat. You've got 8 weeks to focus on smashing it properly!

On the retake, get a light breakfast down of a glass of milk with a brown banana. Sounds daft but bananas are great for potassium and an IronMan mate of my uncle said the browner they are, the higher the potassium content. I never get cramps if I eat this 'meal' 2 hours before a swim.

Phantom

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When i did my pjft september 2010, i failed by about 40 seconds if memory served. 8 weeks later of good training and i passed.

8 weeks is oodles of time to get your phys squared away. Use your time wisely, train hard, and keep in your head at all times what you're aspiring to acheive. Before you know it, you'll be stepping off the train at ctc for day 1 of training!

Good luck for the re-run

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My advice to you would be to start doing some intervals on the treadmill and not just do 'mock pjfts'.

The level needed is 15kph for the whole 10mins so what I did was break it down into say 800m or 600m at a certain speed 15-16kph then after 800/600m at 16kph rest until you feel like you can do it again (max 2mins) then do another 800/600m at 15/16, keep doing this for the full 2.4km. Eventually try to decrease your rest time or extend the split to 1200m at the 15/16kph. eventually you will feel like you can do it with no rest and bang out the whole 2.4km at 15kph+.

This worked for me so I hope it helps, mock pjfts I found so boring and also keeping at the same pace all the way through is even more boring so the interval training mixes things up a bit. Try doing a mock maybe once a week over the next 8 weeks and see if you can improve it. Also get a decent motivating playlist on your mp3 player and sing along in your head or go to a 'happy place'. My iPod cut out half way through the return and I had to watch Jeremy Kyle on the TV!
not exactly motivating....

Anyway Good luck fella

Liam2468

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise lads. I've been doing a lot of interval training and 6 x 800m sprints over the last couple of months and have seen significant improvements in my time. I'm just going to train as hard as possible and get the best time i possibly can next time around.

Liam2468

Reaction score
My advice to you would be to start doing some intervals on the treadmill and not just do 'mock pjfts'.

The level needed is 15kph for the whole 10mins so what I did was break it down into say 800m or 600m at a certain speed 15-16kph then after 800/600m at 16kph rest until you feel like you can do it again (max 2mins) then do another 800/600m at 15/16, keep doing this for the full 2.4km. Eventually try to decrease your rest time or extend the split to 1200m at the 15/16kph. eventually you will feel like you can do it with no rest and bang out the whole 2.4km at 15kph+.

This worked for me so I hope it helps, mock pjfts I found so boring and also keeping at the same pace all the way through is even more boring so the interval training mixes things up a bit. Try doing a mock maybe once a week over the next 8 weeks and see if you can improve it. Also get a decent motivating playlist on your mp3 player and sing along in your head or go to a 'happy place'. My iPod cut out half way through the return and I had to watch Jeremy Kyle on the TV!
not exactly motivating....

Anyway Good luck fella
On the music front my earplugs weren't working so i ended up having to watch the Antiques Roadshow, i've never been so bored in my life ha!!