failed pshycometric test

ant

Reaction score
hi everyone this is my first post here goes.

Well i failed my psyhcometric test on the 8th and i am very dissapointed with myself,i got told i have one more go and thats it,but i spoke to a royal marine on the army website and he said u have 3 chances :saythat:.

I am planning to do it on my second go but my confidance has gone down can anyone help or been in the same situation as i am,i just dont want my dream of becoming a royal marine slip out of my hand thanks.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
First of all welcome to the site.

Did he tell you what you failed on? Also what are your grades, if any? Any GCSE results?

If you can fill us in on what you failed on then we maybe able to help.

You should have got a booklet with examples of the kinda questions you're asked, if you can't do this booklet it's not advisable you go untill you can and most important of all, try not to answer all the questions, if you answer 5 and get 5 right you're looked on more favourably than if you answer 15 and get 5 right.

Ash

ant

Reaction score
hi ash thanks for the welcome

well he said i was ok on the two tests apart from maths and english.

my gcse grades wasn't that good but i went to college and now a qualified painter and decorator and whilst i was there i got my level 2 maths and english which is the same or above a c (gcse)basicly i think i was to worried and blew it mate

I did studie the booklet and thought it was easy.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i think i was to worried and blew it mat.
Thats it mate, easier said than done, but go in positive, tihnking you will pass it, dont let nerves or anything negative get the better of ya, best of luck on your next attempt.

ant

Reaction score
cheers mate,the thing is i trained for about 4 months hard graft and failed, i came out and felt like crying :saythat:haha but i want it so bad its my dream i dont want to be in a dead end job doing the same thing over and over, the one thing tho its made me more determant and i will pass:rock:

ant

Reaction score
thanks

so what about you are you going through the application process or already training ?

M

MTW

dont worry about it mate, youll crack it this time mate! :notes:

ant

Reaction score
thanks mate i hope so,maybe we will be down at lympstone the same time who knows either way we will get are green lids :kult::kult:

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Deffinetly go for it again, with it being a psychometric test it is to test 'natural ability' therefore you cannot really revise for it. However, I would jump onto google or something and grab some mental arithmatic (sp?) questions and practice doing them, however many you can in say 2 minutes etc, just get used to your brain working quick.
Another thing that will sound really strange, but trust me on it. If you have a nintendo DS or wii or something like that, throw twney quid into your nearest GAME or ASDA and grab a copy of that brain training stuff, get on that, serious it does help ( science proves it) and get back into your afco. The fact that you have got level 2 maths and english says your obviously good enough to pass the psychometrics test, you just had a *text deleted**text deleted* day, do abit of work to get your confidence back up and walk into there knowing you will blitz it. Best of luck fella.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Ant, welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear you didn't do too well in the Recruiting Test fella, but hopefully you'll pass next go.

Strictly speaking you are only allowed two attempts, but under exceptional circumstances you may be considered for a 3rd attempt, but certainly not for a year or more.

Not quite sure why you were told you're only allowed one more test unless:

1. You have already sat a previous recruiting test elsewhere
2. If, after taking and failing again in 12 months, you would be over 32 years old

Obviously the way ahead is not to consider how many times you're allowed to fail it before you must pass, but far rather you do a good bit of maths & English revision between now and your next go & pass.

For clarification on why you are only allowed two attempts, it's worth giving your local AFCO a ring to find out why, but only if you don't intend passing next time.

The very best of luck to you- just keep the fitness going!

ant

Reaction score
Thanks dodger

Ive been on google and doing all maths and english stuff and basically just revising things and getting my confidance up, i was very nervous on the day and had a nose bleed haha i was using my brain to much, but definatly im going for it again until i pass, i know i have what it takes and im mentaly and physicaly fit.

I just want a crack at it down at lympstone cant wait.

I failed the barb test when i was 15 but im better at the maths and english now.

KR-Central

Reaction score
Hi, Ant. I remember when I failed it in 2004 when I wanted to join the regs. I felt really gutted and blamed myself as I hadn't revised for it and my maths is terrible. There is a book that they sell at waterstones which is quite handy. Its a 'preparation for Armed Forces tests' book which boosted my confidence up (along with other psychometric books from waterstones). I pushed my black ass to revise and revise. I passed it on Tuesday! Heres the link to the book that I just mentioned from Waterstones (you can find others there too!) Hope they come in handy. Good luck for the re-test.

Practice Tests for the Armed Forces - Succeed at Psychometric Testing
by Bernice Walmsley

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=4912748

M

marcsteele08

Hows the prep going mate?
Best of luck with the re-sit.
Marc.

letsrole

Reaction score
Hi mate dont worry about it. If you find you are having diffuculty on one question just write the question number on the back of your hand (for reference later) and move onto the next question. Dont spend to long on one question.

I dont think that the test tests natural ability I think it tests what you have learnt. So as you probably have been doing, go online and look up mock tests would be beneficial.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Is the pshycometric test just a test were you have like 3 boxes and you have to tick the correct box etc??.. Just because im sure someone said its just about ticking the correct box and knowing the correct answer!..??

Cheers
Sam

M

marcsteele08

No, its a test based on 4 sections, -
Reasoning
English
Numeracy
Mechanical Reasoning.

It is basically an IQ test.
I'll give you some examples.

Reasoning,
Richard is taller than Steven
Who is shorter?

It may seem easy at the mo, but under pressure it can be hard for a lot of people

English,
Which of the following is the odd one out?
A. Car B. Aeroplane C. Train D.Bicycle E. House

Numeracy,
37+? = 95
What is '?' equal to ?
A. 85 B. 45 C. 58 D. 57 E. 122

Mechanical Reasoning,
Which shelf can carry the greatest load?
A. SHELF A
B. SHELF B

| |
| |______
| |______
| |/
|A|

| |
| |______
| |______
| |......./
| |..../
| |../
| |/
|B|

Sorry about the diagrams *text deleted*, - basically the mechanical reasoning is all diagrams, so this was the easiest for me to do - these are examples from the book on a Royal Marines Commando, bought from How 2 Become (Link Removed Commercial Link GW)

Hope it helps,
Marc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a keen advocate of the How2Become series, mainly because they make money out of people who can often ill afford it, which is not fair when the advice is freely available. The recruiting test, as most will verify is a little harder than the examples given.

M

marcsteele08

Sorry, I'm not a keen advocate of the How2Become series, mainly because they make money out of people who can often ill afford it, which is not fair when the advice is freely available. The recruiting test, as most will verify is a little harder than the examples given.

I am not sticking up for it and sorry if you think this is cheeky.
But, they were the examples at the front of each section and they get harder as they get in.
Obviously you know best *text deleted*, no argues there.

Marc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Marc, it's just my opinion mate, doubtless others will say they're good and they found them useful. I just get the hump with companies that cash-in on free advice. Your opinion is equally as valid as mine & if it helps you, then that's fine too as it's arguably money well spent if it gets you the job at the end of the day.

The "How2Become" series is actually advertised on the MoD Oracle website which frankly amazes me, but then again if the MoD can 'cash-in' by earning advertising revenue from inaccurate advice, then so be it.