Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Failing the Officer Training

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Trooper149, May 7, 2019.

1. Trooper149

Trooper149 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    How's it going guys.

This question has been asked before but not in a long time and I hope the times have changed enough to give me an answer I am hoping.

When training for RM Officer, if you acquire the green beret but then fail the training later on, can you request to be transferred to Other Ranks?

Someone said there was an outdated rule stating that if you fail, you get binned unless an exception is made. Seems *text deleted*ing stupid considering all the training and education that's gone in. No reason why the applicant can't just continue on as Other Ranks seeing they are already trained?

Appreciate any insight.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I can think of one reason and there may well be other reasons. If a YO fails to complete training and enlists as an OR he may well find himself in a Troop in which the OC is one of his mates from the Batch.

But there are others here far better qualified than I am. Hopefully they will chip in.

3. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Generally the answer is no.!!..Quite a few transfer to a differing service or go RN , there may be exceptional cases , but in the norm it,s no. You have expressed and been selected on the basis that you have the attributes and want to lead which is a very different job to what you will be doing if you go OR...one you have not been selected for..!!.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

You shouldn’t think of Officer & OR as 1st choice and 2nd choice.

Two completely different roles.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that other than for injury, medical, 'professional fail' or disciplinary reasons the number of YOs who do not successfully pass out of CTCRM after being awarded their green berets must be vanishingly small.

In 2012 one YO was dismissed from the service after acquiring his green beret when he had a drunken brush with a Baptist church and state troopers in the USA during Ex Virginia Tempest.

Also bear in mind that Phase Two of YO training begins after pass out from CTCRM and comprises the assessment of performance as a Troop Commander at a unit for one year.

To echo the comment by @Johnny_Anonie it is most important that anyone considering the Officer career path researches the difference in role between Officer and OR. One is not intrinsically better than the other but the roles are very different.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

YO Batches always have a few Corps Commissions undergoing YO training. That is ORs, specially selected as having potential for a commission after completing RT. My understanding is that should a CC fail YO training then he's discharged and not allowed to resume his career as an OR.

Hopefully one of the serving guys can confirm, or otherwise.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  7. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Due to the fact training is different for both roles it is extremely unlikely. You may have an opportunity to re-apply or if there is a possibility of transfer then this will need to be discussed with your Commanding Officer. It’s exceptionally rare.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I can’t comment on the rules regarding transfer to OR but having been on POC recently and spoken with the YOs in training it seems like there are a lot of stages before you are kicked out. Laws governing unfair dismissal also apply to the military, so it’s not a case of fail one exercise and you’re out on the street with nothing to show for yourself. You get lots of warnings and help to try and pull you through.

Even people who have been medically discharged are to be seen hanging around CTC whilst they wait for their transfer to the Army or Navy, they do really try and look after you.

I’d also go out on a limb and say that because there’s only one batch of YOs a year and there’s no real chance of being back-trooped, training is built up more gradually and individual needs addressed better so as to reduce wastage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Going back a few years one forum member in a RMYO Batch had the misfortune to badly cut his hand with his own pocket knife just before the commando tests in about May. The outcome was that he was assigned other duties, including a language course if memory serves, and eventually joined the next Batch. He wasn't required to start at Day One. He joined the Batch in the January following Christmas leave.
    As alluded to by others in this thread, individual circumstances are key so general assumptions should not be made.

• Like Like x 2