Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Family benefits

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by beans12345, Jun 16, 2019.

1. beans12345

beans12345 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi does anybody know what sort of benefits your family get from a career in the Royal Marines? I have a 2 year old daughter and a missus and wish to pursue a career in the RM just wondering if there’s any benefits and holidays etc..

2. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

35 days minimum holiday a year. Military discount on a variety of days out/ shopping.

Family days put on by the unit you're at etc.

There are more, such as not having to worry about dental costs for yourself, or gym costs. Non contributory pension (even if it is shite). No fear of lost income because you're ill. Plus side is the military is surprisingly good at welfare, in my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  3. beans12345

beans12345 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What’s the living accommodation like when you pass out as a soldier? And go to your unit

4. R

R Well-Known Member

This is a very subjective question. If your married, once you finish Recruit Training and become a training rank you can make an application for Service Families Accomodation (SFA). You will then have a home close to your barracks, the cost and quality varies depending on availability and location. SFA is tri-service, so you will be surrounded by other military families, but they wont necessarily be royal marine families.

Deployed welfare is pretty good, just because you get 35 days leave a year doesnt mean you will always be able to take it.

A big benefit is however that you can take your kids out of school for holidays if your leave window doesnt align with school holidays, ive done this afew times and sent a letter to the school to avoid the council fines for truancy.

Really you will need 2 household incomes as the marine wage isnt huge, and you will need to budget, especially with all the costs that come with kids. Good luck.

5. boarder34

boarder34 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I read somewhere that this is now being opened up to those who aren't married as well? Or am I making stuff up.

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

You can choose to live where you want once you have passed out. As for eligibility for SFA, it used to be 100% married, but I have heard somewhere that exceptions can be made. I can't remember what they were, but I guess that single parents, civil partnerships and same sex couples may have eligibility now, but as I say, that's just a guess.

Alan

7. Illustrious

It's proof of stable and long term relationship now, ie you've got children or can price you've been together for an extended period of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  8. R

R Well-Known Member

There is a pilot program of sorts, with changes, but i have not heard anything further as of yet.

9. lilsis

lilsis Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Does this also mean they can take their mums out of school too? L O L

• Like Like x 1
  10. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

What about gays?

Outrage bus????

11. R

R Well-Known Member

As your an ex-matlow is it really still a concern for you? :D

12. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Always mate, always. Ex STC though! Shhhhhhh

13. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

My bootneck can't spell matelot either! :D

14. R

R Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Oh the shame of the Faux pas!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. Illustrious

M.A.R.I.N.E.

Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  16. beans12345

beans12345 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Got a few mates who I was in Royal Marines training with 1 at 43 Scotland other in 45 mate in 43 says he hasn’t been on any exercise since passing out of training and mate in 45 has been in Florida training which units deploy most ie train more or travel more?

17. BLM

BLM Active Member

App Stage:
    Partner