Family history

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey lads, im trying to find my family history, but i do not know how. I only know my family back to my grandad, how could i search it. I *text deleted* see if i had any family in the forces, or out of the forces.

Many Thanks,
Luke

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hm i dont think you can just find that information on the web you would probs have to go to some history place or somthing to look in there documents and stuff i dont think i have no military back ground i guess ill start it!

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if u can get to your local record office, or u can go to a big libary you can view old records etc. but you have to go back to the place where u grandparents were born. gd luck though *text deleted*!
stewie

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
There's a few websites that allow you to search old wedding certificates, birth certificates, service records, etc... but you've got to pay quite a steep access charge. But they're not really reliable.

I'm trying to find out some more about my great-grandfather. He died when my dad was quite young, so he doesen't know much about him either.

I've got a clipping from his obituary.

He was a Captain in the Merchant Navy before and during WW2, and his ship is credited with either sinking the first or last U-Boat of the war; none of my family can seem to remember. He got an OBE for it, anyway.

During the First World War, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. From research, I know that the D.S.C wasn't awarded to sailors in the Merchant Navy untill 1931. So during the First World War, he must have been in the Armed Forces, probably RN with his background. Confusingly though, he also got the Lloyd Medal during the First World War, which was given for bravery at sea in the Merchant Navy.

Apparently, he was quite a character. Spent most of his life between and before the wars in India and China, filling his house with exotic curios. (I know this part from my uncles and aunties, who're older than my dad - and for the fact that untill quite recently we had a table in our house with legs shaped like elephant's heads, with real tusks. We'd always assumed it was fake ivory untill my mum had it valued. Ching-ching, straight to auction!)

It's so frustrating to have such an interesting relative so recently in my family, and not know much about him. I want to know what he got his D.S.C for, what battles he was at, whether he was on the Russian Convoys during WW2.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All i know bout my family is that Im from Lamont of Argyll, but my clan was fcuked over by the Campells acting as english police(complete with being paid of course).....

My Grandfather from my fathers side was ground crew in the RAF in WW2,
and served in egypt and the far east.

My great grandfather from my moms side was in the Natal Mounted Rifles, and I even have some of his medals.

So yea it would be nice to know bout them

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Duno how to find out but if anyones interested *text deleted*

Great grandfather was in the Somme in WW1 *survived*

Grandfather was a wireless operator on a sterling bomber *survived*

All my dads side.

My great grand father was also in the 8th army as a desert rat he also survived

And my grandad was part of the national guard due to his age at the time so obviously he would of survived *text deleted*

All Mums side.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Funnily enough, on my desk at this very moment I have my own Royal Navy Certificate of Service and my Great Grand Fathers Royal Navy Certificate of Service, dated 22 July 1892. He joined in Chatham aged 15 and signed on for 12 years. The 12 years didn't actually start untill he was 18.

Looking at his service record, he went on the "run" over Christmas 1894 until the 7th January, for which he was awarded 42 days hard labour on a prison hulk.

It makes my only service crime: two days stoppage of pay (about £90, then)for returning back on HMS Boxer 50 minutes late whilst in Allicante in 1986, pale into insignificance!

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Wow ,42 days hard labor on a prison ship, also the fact that he signed on at 15 for 12 years. :amazed:

C

critchmufc

my great grandad george fought in north africa in WW2, and my other great grandad bill was on his way across the channel when the ship he was on was hit by a shell, it thrown him overboard and he drowned one of his lungs...my grandad has his dogtags.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* I've got french roots.
According to my aubty Sue.. my great great grandad served in the frnch Navy
He sounds so gay
lmaoo

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
My grandad was in the Italian Navy. I think his story goes something along the lines of he went to sign up for service and they told him where to be and at what time so he could board his ship. he got there and he had missed it! so he got the train to the next port that it was stopping at so he could board it there and he missed it again..... he did this at everyport. i'm not actaully sure he ever steped foot on a ship at all!

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know that my great grandmothers brother on my dads side fought in WW2, He was killed at El Alamain by Rommels desert rats.

Also my great grandad on my mams side fought in WW1, but I don't know anything about him.