family rant

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just told my grandma that i sent my application form off the other day and instead of being supportive all i got was a load of *text deleted**text deleted*e. Apparently she reckons that a son should not leave his mother :laugh: and that i wont be able to take abuse or critism so theres no point in me applying. Its realy pissed me off and left me in a bad *text deleted**text deleted*ing mood. Shes only saying this *text deleted* im the last in the family and she wants me married with kids and settled down!
Does anybody else get *text deleted**text deleted* like this?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeah there's a thread called "does anyone else get criticism for wanting to join the marines?",
something like that anyway.

And yup most of us do get people saying things like that,
mainly people we don't really know,
or parents,
I'm sure my Nan would be fine with it,
her husband was in the army,
on my dad's side his dad was in the TA during WW2,
his grandad was in the army and died in WW1,
and his brother was in the Marines,
so other than my mom not wanting me to go,
I've pretty much got family backing.

Joe

Lain

Reaction score
Yeah, i've had *text deleted**text deleted* in one way or another from pretty much everyone i've told. Majority of people just won't understand, they don't have the same mindset, a lot of people can't see past just doing what they find fun.. so of course they assume you must be joining because you find being shot fun. I wouldn't worry about it, i long ago gave up trying to make anyone else understand, as long as you think its the right thing to do thats all that matters.

Aussie89

Reaction score
Yea mate we all get *text deleted**text deleted* from family and such. Due to joining the millitary me and my gf of two years broke up. even though im not joining for a year she just didnt see a future with me. You just *text deleted* put it outa your mind and just go for it and do what you want for yourself and not what other people want for you. Thats just my opinion though after listening to what other people wanted for me in the past

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
it a tough one isnt it! As Lain said i dont think most people understand the reason behind joining; all they see are the reports from afghan and shooting, not the lifestyle, Friends, AT, travelling and all the added things.
My parents are a little worried, they have accepted the dangers in certain places of the world, but i think they are more concerned that what we are effectively going to be doing, seeing and a part of will change the way I am now. Obviously none of us can really say how we will be affected, but she takes comfort in the training and support from the men aroud you.
I also sat down a watched commando on the front line with her, which helped no end.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I watched commando on the front line with my girlfriend,
I think she's now more worried *text deleted*.

Joe

Aussie89

Reaction score
I watched commando on the front line with my girlfriend,
I think she's now more worried *text deleted*.

Joe

*text deleted* i did this to. This mostly contributed to us breaking up i think haha

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My nan did the same thing. She said at the dinner table one day that there's no point me applying as I won't get in. *text deleted**text deleted* her. :thefinger:

My Grandad on the same side was saying a lot of stuff yesterday aswel, really pisses me off. So I got in a mood and totally ignored him.

Later he came to me and apologised and said to keep him updated with what's going on etc acting as if he is interested. :rock:

Babybell

Reaction score
My nan did the same thing. She said at the dinner table one day that there's no point me applying as I won't get in. *text deleted**text deleted* her.

Wasnt my nan who said that, but a few people I know laughed since they think I wont be able to do it. I like to say mates, but it does hurt when people say stuff like that.

Makes you more determind too.

Edit:- Though in fairness I've never been known as an active person. I only really recently decided to try for the RMs so I've got alot of work to do just to get fit enough for the PRMC!

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's my choices etc, but when someone close to me, esp. in my direct family says I won't get in, it does hurt.

:thefinger:

Aussie89

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's my choices etc, but when someone close to me, esp. in my direct family says I won't get in, it does hurt.

:thefinger:

Yea i know what you mean about it hurting mate

i told mum thats what i wanted to do and she said i will never even get out of australia let alone make it through PRMC to even start rct training but it just make me stronger i think about it everytime i go training. that along with the ex leaving me

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
How you coping with that mate?
My girlfriends off to uni in September,
granted its only Birmingham,
so it's not far,
but still,
and obviously we'll break up if we're still together next year.

So I was just wondering how you feel after breaking up with her?

Joe

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
exactly what i got *text deleted*

girlfriend saying i wouldnt do well with people shouting at me and im fat so i wouldnt pass anyway *text deleted*!

grandmother pulled a disgusted face when i told her but then said "our Roger was in the marines and he died" hahaha *text deleted* love the nan tho

Aussie89

Reaction score
How you coping with that mate?
My girlfriends off to uni in September,
granted its only Birmingham,
so it's not far,
but still,
and obviously we'll break up if we're still together next year.

So I was just wondering how you feel after breaking up with her?

Joe

Dunno if you were talking to me mate but ill give you the run down if you want

dating for two years then i move down to tasmania for uni. Not Far but things broke down and we broke up. Got back with her at easter but things have been bad for a while so we just kinda made a mutual decicion *text deleted* it clearly wasnt working with the distance side of things and i think me wanting to join was just the last thing that pushed us apart. we were together a while but we were very differnt people. Im happy that we were together for so long but i mean this is what i want to do. No one thinks i can or should but this is really what i want so i mean i will take things how they come becuase this is my goal

dunno if that helps you mate bit of a rant but yea it was hard at the start but its ok now. She is very supportive now and we are still mates and hopes that i do make it but yea

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Dunno if you were talking to me mate but ill give you the run down if you want

dating for two years then i move down to tasmania for uni. Not Far but things broke down and we broke up. Got back with her at easter but things have been bad for a while so we just kinda made a mutual decicion *text deleted* it clearly wasnt working with the distance side of things and i think me wanting to join was just the last thing that pushed us apart. we were together a while but we were very differnt people. Im happy that we were together for so long but i mean this is what i want to do. No one thinks i can or should but this is really what i want so i mean i will take things how they come becuase this is my goal

dunno if that helps you mate bit of a rant but yea it was hard at the start but its ok now. She is very supportive now and we are still mates and hopes that i do make it but yea

Yeh I was talking to you Aussie,
sounds kind of along the same lines as were our relationship is heading,
we'll probably break up when she goes to uni to be honest,
just dunno how it'll affect me,
fair play to sticking to what you want to do,
and not being demoralised by the whole situation.

My feelings for her change though,
one day everything's great and I'm proper happy I'm with her and wouldn't *text deleted* be anywhere else,
but on some days I'm not 100% sure,
and I still kinda like my ex,
which doesn't help *text deleted*.

Joe

Aussie89

Reaction score
Yeh I was talking to you Aussie,
sounds kind of along the same lines as were our relationship is heading,
we'll probably break up when she goes to uni to be honest,
just dunno how it'll affect me,
fair play to sticking to what you want to do,
and not being demoralised by the whole situation.

My feelings for her change though,
one day everything's great and I'm proper happy I'm with her and wouldn't *text deleted* be anywhere else,
but on some days I'm not 100% sure,
and I still kinda like my ex,
which doesn't help *text deleted*.

Joe

Yea mate it gets really hard when they move a distance away. I know its not the same for all people but for me it defintaly was especially when we were both living such different lives with her working and me here at uni and yea cheers mate i know this is what i *text deleted* do so im *text deleted* stick to it. Its hard sometimes not having somewhere there but u just *text deleted* get over that and keep on going and yea as u described in your relationship mine was kinda the same about some days being fine and other u wanting to be somewhere else

its a hard one mate but i hope it all works out for you either way

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
on a better note, got my appointment for my pychometric test next friday. whoop-de-fooking-do

Aussie89

Reaction score
on a better note, got my appointment for my pychometric test next friday. whoop-de-fooking-do

*text deleted* nice mate you sound over the moon at the prospect

good luck with it anyway

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Back on track for a moment regarding family support & opinions....

Way back in the mists of time when I initially joined the Service, my family & friends flatly stated that there was no way on earth I'd make it as I wouldn't be able to handle the discipline & was the most unlikely military person they knew.

Whether that was a "reverse psychological" plot I'll never know, but it certainly spurred me on and 27 years later I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I guess im lucky that my whole family history has been military, I've gotten support for applying from all my relatives.
The closest to not having full support for the marines, would be my dad just telling me to check out the trade skill options available elsewhere - but he still supports my decision regardless.

Wouldn't worry about the lack of support, once you're in and doing well, they'll turn!