Family's Opinion?

dave455

Reaction score
the family were all sat round at dinner, and i had a feeling i wasnt *text deleted* get into to uni so i just brushed this by them "so i was thinking if i dont get into uni i could join the marines"

ive never seen them get so angry, my dad went nuts my mum said i would be "wasting" my life etc. my dad was banging on about how the government dont look after the armed forces "they have to borrow ammunition off the canadians, you'll just be a pawn of bush"

but later on when the marines had a stall in our town trying to recruit people i said id like to have the lifestyle and my dad said "join the RAF regiment" *text deleted* that.

things have got even worse now im in my second year at uni & *text deleted* i cant be arsed, the degrees *text deleted* have me sat behind a desk, if i say "im dropping out of uni" theyll kill me. im 19, but i dont *text deleted* disappoint them at all. so...any advice?

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
dave455 said:
the family were all sat round at dinner, and i had a feeling i wasnt *text deleted* get into to uni so i just brushed this by them "so i was thinking if i dont get into uni i could join the marines"

ive never seen them get so angry, my dad went nuts my mum said i would be "wasting" my life etc. my dad was banging on about how the government dont look after the armed forces "they have to borrow ammunition off the canadians, you'll just be a pawn of bush"

but later on when the marines had a stall in our town trying to recruit people i said id like to have the lifestyle and my dad said "join the RAF regiment" *text deleted* that.

things have got even worse now im in my second year at uni & *text deleted* i cant be arsed, the degrees *text deleted* have me sat behind a desk, if i say "im dropping out of uni" theyll kill me. im 19, but i dont *text deleted* disappoint them at all. so...any advice?
its your life mate...do as you please...but think wisely about your choices in front of you...education is very valuble

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ive never had any military background at all in my family other than a grandad in the war, so, if i make it, i'll be the first. I think because of this they're quite apprehensive but 100% supportive. obviously the old doris doesnt like the thought of having tho serve anywhere, but then thats mums for you isnt it.

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Yep, Get your degree and then try and get commissioned as an officer.

Definately stick with the degree though, like other posts on this forum...if you've been watching Commando, you'll know the drop out rate and so having something to fall back on is a definate bonus. :)

dave455

Reaction score
dont fancy being an officer *text deleted*, my degree has be doing presentations & public speaking all the time, but as for leading? not enough potential.

i appreciate the advice. is there a way to convince them? i think deep down they dont want me to come back in a body bag. i just dont *text deleted* get burnt. deffo dont *text deleted* be a burn victim

Gaz

Reaction score
Mate just tell them why you want to join. Know everyone say's to stick with a degree and all that but if you don't enjoy it the chances are you won't put the work in and pass anyway!

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
explain to them that being i the forces isnt as dangerous as they think.

there are much more dangerous jobs.

to be fair...if they dont come around...they never will.

your life is your to do as you choose....if you get into training and pass out...they will soon be proud of what you have become and achieved.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My dad is very supportive, he said give it your all and go kick some ass.
My mum was a bit concerned at first but I think she's ok with it now - didn't think I was serious until I said I was handing my forms in.
The think that bugs her the most though is the fact I have to kill a rabbit during the training. :? Mothers ay :roll:

marcus2007

Reaction score
My parents aren't really speaking to me that much since i passed PRMC. To be honest they are kind of pretending nothing is going on. Quite gutted to be honest, because my grandad and great grandad were both military men, and they would both be proud of me. My nan/great nans are proud though. But, still, i have to live with my parents at the moment, and they just dont seem happy at all. Im a 'failure' according to them, because of my troubled past, and that i didnt want to go to college.
Oh well, ill prove them wrong when i have that Green Beret.

Gaz

Reaction score
Don't worry about them mate, you'll have a new life and a new set of friends soon, and when you pass out you will have a whole new family who feel the same as you and want all the same things! :D

marcus2007

Reaction score
That's my view on it mate. I just think, im young, i know what i want in life, and most importantly, i know i have the potential.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My family are supportive including my in laws im lucky enough to have in laws I like *text deleted*. Perhaps Jock you could sit your mum etc down and show them whats involved in becoming a Marine. Hopefully your step dad will make his support for you vocal at this point. Direct them to this site show them this link http://www.prmc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=546 this shows that more people die on building sites than out in Afghan etc. The new royal marine website has videos on the training maybe when they see and read all this will they realise that you are actually setting your sights high and aiming for something rather than taking an easy way out and wasting your life. Let them watch the Commado Program on ITV1 at 10pm its on again this monday. Pour yourself into your training actions speak louder than words, if you let them get you down if you moan and skulk then your playing into their hands. Your showing them exactly what they may think. Instead train and train hard show them through your actions that your serious over time if their human they should come round to the idea. If all this fails *text deleted* and you still really want to join the marines then your *text deleted* have to go it alone it is nice to have your family onboard but you will definetely make a new family during and after your marine training. You never know when you pass out of RT they may come around and be proud of you.

Good luck *text deleted*

Gaz

Reaction score
That's the way to be mate. Too many people worry about what others may think or say. At the end of the day you have to answer to yourself, and if your happy, then evryone else around you will be happy for you! :wink:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
ALL my family & friends thought I'd never get through initial (RN) training.

It may well be they were trying a bit of reverse psychology & wanted to spur me on- possibly your family likewise.

Twenty six years later I'm still here & starting to get the hang of things a bit...