Fartlek training?

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Morning all, needing some information on what 'fartlek' entails, and it how it would benefit my fitness.. A regime would be helpful aswell? Cheers!

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fartlek is quite similar to interval training.

A typical fartlek run would mean starting perhaps at 6kmph then after 1 minute going up to 10 then down to 7 then up to 12... its random which is why i find it more interesting.

Interval training is the same but it's structured... for example start at 6kmph up to 12 after 1 minute.. then down to 6 again and so on. Fartlek can be random.

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I found that out by reading a little bit about it, but what effects does it give? Is it good for speed, weight loss etc etc?

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I found that out by reading a little bit about it, but what effects does it give? Is it good for speed, weight loss etc etc?
I found my recovery rate got better... as your start stop very similar to 5 aside footy.. I also think it helps with bleep tests and that sort of running.
Weight loss will always be a benefit of it aslong as the intensity is right and your running in your fat burning zone.

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Will it also help increase speed? For PJFT and stuff?
Best way to train for your pjft is to train for long distances. I found fartlek helped with sprint work and short distances but not so much duration runs.

Put it this way i did 3-4 miles 4 or 5 times a week on a treadmill and tested myself weekly. I got from not being able to complete a 1.5 mile run to getting an 8:54 return on my pjft within a month. Im a big lump aswell so i found it more difficult. Someone may correct me on my advice but it worked for me mate.

If i want to increase my bleep score, i do sprints, if i want to be able to run long distances i run long distances... 2 seperate cardio systems.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Morning all, needing some information on what 'fartlek' entails, and it how it would benefit my fitness.. A regime would be helpful aswell? Cheers!
Fartlek is not only changing your pace, it can be much more developed and more challenging.

For example, take a 5mile route.

Warm up run for a few minutes. Do some squats or if you find a bench some quick step ups. The do 4-5 x 1min hard run, with 30secs jog in between as rest.

Do as follows : 40 press up, sprint 10sec, jog 30sec as rest, 30 press up, spring 10sec, jog 30sec as rest and so on.

Do some jumping lunges/squats.

The principle with this, is that by throwing is all body exercises during the run, your heart has to work much harder as blood is required to oxygenate you whole body at higher levels, not just your legs.

And then of course mix it up every time, use different exercises, hill sprints etc.

liamsmall0785

Reaction score
have had my date for PJFT next Monday, totally understand what's expected of me to complete this test and pretty confident I'm ready, I was just wondering if you do get a break between the two 1.5m runs and ifso is this just 1 minute ??

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
have had my date for PJFT next Monday, totally understand what's expected of me to complete this test and pretty confident I'm ready, I was just wondering if you do get a break between the two 1.5m runs and ifso is this just 1 minute ??
Yes, and yes.

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got 30 seconds... instructor thought it was funny which made me more determined to crush the time to show him up.