Fartlek Training

C

critchmufc

is fartlek training really the best thing to be doing coming p to the PRMC?

jasejase

Reaction score
itl definately help with the run but make sure you dont rush into it like i did. Ive got to go get physio on my leg now because i pushed it to hard :rock: i recomend doin high sets of burpees though, makes me collapse in a pool of my own sweat :rock:

C

critchmufc

did you pass the prmc?

yer, i will be watching all the idiots sprint off as soon as they reach halfway, then running past them later on while there struggling to breathe hehe

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont understand fartlek training, does it just mean sprint up a hill as fast as you can then repeat? i really need something that will build my fitness, got PRMC pretty soon and i dont think i am fit enough. Its the 3 miler that is killing me.

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The 3 mile is tough, best thing I can suggest is to time yourself first, then next time aim to shave some time off your record. Could be only a few seconds, but hey you're making progress.

C

critchmufc

Warm up – easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.

Steady, hard speed for 1.5-2 km; like a long repetition.

Rapid walking for about 5 minutes – recovery.

Easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50 – 60 m, repeated until a little tired. – Start of speed work.

Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).

Full speed up hill for 175 – 200 m.

Immediately, fast pace for 1 minute.

The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

C

critchmufc

The 3 mile is tough, best thing I can suggest is to time yourself first, then next time aim to shave some time off your record. Could be only a few seconds, but hey you're making progress.

also time yourself the first time and then again in 2 weeks

i did this and got 10.29 the first time from 1.5 mile

wen i timed again i got 9.48 after about 2 weeks

evry time you run your stamina will get a fair amount better, all you need to worry about then is your legs giving way, build your leg muscles (them leg push machine things) and keep running

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cheers critch, how many times do you do that a week?

C

critchmufc

i run evryday for 3miles, but im starting doing fartlek 2mora

that fartlek training programme wasnt mine *text deleted*, it was a general one off wikipedia

jasejase

Reaction score
did you pass the prmc?

yer, i will be watching all the idiots sprint off as soon as they reach halfway, then running past them later on while there struggling to breathe hehe
was that for me? if so ive not done prmc yet, just saying when i first started farklek i rushed into it and injured myself :frown: