Fartlek

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Hi guys quick question about Fartlek. At the moment i can run around 2.5 miles at around a medium pace i'd say and this week i'm going to start running slower so i can put more distance in but at the same time i want to do something which can help my speed thus i've decided to try some Fartlek. I run 1.5 miles in about 13 minutes when i'm comfortable although i did go absolutely balls out once and got 9:58 :bigsmile: So bearing in mind my not so great current running ability should i give the Fartlek a go or not yet? i found a program online which went something like: Light jog 10 mins and then hard runs for 2,3,4,4,3,and finally 2 mins with 2:30 mins light jog after each period of hard run. I was actually going to change the hard runs to 1,2,3,3,2,1 because i'm not so good at running yet. Cheers.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just run 3 mile every night like me and you'll surely do well! when 3 mile gets too easy start building up 4 mile then 5 and so on! it's easy, i've been running about 2 week and I can do 3 mile without hardly breaking a sweat, royal marines website has a good fitness plan.

Geordie

Reaction score
Hello Roy

I'd definitely recommend incorporating Fartlek into your runs - say 50% of them as it's an excellent method of building up speed and stamina.

My fartlek pattern entails 6 * 50 metre sprints slap in the middle of the run. So that means, let's say after 1.25 miles of running, blasting out 50 metres, speed walking 50 metres, blasting out 50 metres, speed walking 50 metres etc until 6 50 metresprints have been completed. The 5 50 metre speed walks in between allow you to regulate your breathing - head up, deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. Once that's done I'll run the rest of the distance. I do this 3 times per week.

Additionally, another excellent method of building up speed is shuttle runs. I'm lucky in the sense that my local park has lines of trees that are equal distance apart (about 10 metres). Doing first tree back, second tree back, third tree back and fourth tree back without stopping, jogging on the spot for 60 seconds and then repeating helps speed immensely. I aim to do this twice per week.

All the best

Babybell

Reaction score
I thought as well with the Fartlex, you should only really do it once or twice a week?

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the guy in the AFCO told me that fartlek is the best way to train for the bleep test. He told me that I should be running the street light method e.g. sprinting to the first one, jogging to the second, sprinting to the third etc etc

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ye my afco said very good aswell like simple way is to go to a football/rugby field and if you can spring the lenght jog thr widht if you cannot do that much sprint to half way line jog the width and sprint to the end jog the widdht sprint to half way again only started doing this last week is very hard work but after a few sessions im sure ill see a difference