Faster paced runs

TommyK

Reaction score
Alright lads,

has anyone got any tips on training to complete runs at a faster pace pls? It's my weakest area (continued fast paced running that is), I try to control my breathing - in through nose out through mouth, but it doesn't seem to get me enough oxygen so I burn out too quickly, maybe I need to improve my lung capacity? I can run all day at slower paces e.g 11-12kmph

Joe B

Reaction score
hey mate, what works for me is taking big strides when i run.when doing this you take less paces therefore using less energy, trust me if your strides are wider you will feel like your flying *text deleted*..hope that helps a little bit :)

Joe

TommyK

Reaction score
Thanks mate wasn't sure if that really worked or not, but i'll try it on my next run. I'm 6ft 2 so my strides should be pretty big

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* breath through the mouth completely then.

and to sustain a faster pace than your average steady pace when on a jog, the best ways to do it is sprint training, so interval training, hill sprints and farkleg training (which is close to the same as interval training).

or you go on your jog and start on a run and say to yourself that you will get to a place in front of you, but then when you get there pick a new point and run to that at a fast pace.

fast pace running isn't easy at all, i struggle with it, but the main way to maintain a fast pace is having the determination to keep going and the mental power to not stop. its all about just not giving up.

TommyK

Reaction score
I see what you mean mate I just find it annoying when some people can go at the 1.5 miler pace on and on and on, but then running has never been my strong point and I could probably stand to lose a tiny bit of weight (bit around my tum *text deleted*) which I'm sure would make a fair bit of difference in my speed

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I dont mean to be funny about this, but the simple answer is get fitter.
Do you want advice on getting fitter? Or being able to run faster for longer? If you want the answer to the second question, the answer is the first question.

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Lots of interval training and hill sprints. I found that swimming also helped increase my lung capacity. My swimmer friend showed me this.... While doing front crawl take a breath then three strokes, one breath then five strokes, one breath then seven strokes. Its really hard to do to start with but i soon got better. apparently this works both aerobic and anaerobic.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Its almost impossible to increase lung capacity by any large amount. It might a small bit but hardly at all. You can increase the effeciency of the exchange of respiratory gases, but not the size of your lungs.

TommyK

Reaction score
I'm guessing your right Fletch, I'll just have to crack on with more running. Is long distance runs best, say 7-9 miles, or just 3-4 but going at it 100% every time?

RC

Reaction score
I'm guessing your right Fletch, I'll just have to crack on with more running. Is long distance runs best, say 7-9 miles, or just 3-4 but going at it 100% every time?

As others have said, intervals / fartlek / Tabata sprints / shorter best effort runs should help with speed endurance.

If you haven't done any specific anaerobic training before, substitute 1 of your normal running sessions for an interval session. After a couple of weeks, substitute another normal running session for an interval / fartlek session (e.g intervals twice per week).

Rich.

chrystal19

Reaction score
I cant say enough good things about HIIT.

Also aim to run the second part of your run quicker. So say Im running 8 miles, I'll run to a point 4 miles away at a moderate pace, and then heat it up for the next 2 miles, then really push it the next mile, then die trying to finish the final one.

And if its a fast run, stand tall, and push your chest out with your arms quite high and your palms facing the ground, clenched. You can take in much more air this way. Only for fast runs though, the positioning would tire you out for much longer than 30 mins.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright lads,

has anyone got any tips on training to complete runs at a faster pace pls? It's my weakest area (continued fast paced running that is), I try to control my breathing - in through nose out through mouth, but it doesn't seem to get me enough oxygen so I burn out too quickly, maybe I need to improve my lung capacity? I can run all day at slower paces e.g 11-12kmph

Check your posture and breath in through your nose and mouth at the same time.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

mixing them both is good.. however it has been said by many qualified instructors and personal trainers i've met that short fast runs are can be better wiith regards to weight lose, and building up fitness.

so i would say do a 4 mile run but dont go at 100% all the way because in all honnesty your going to be screwed after 20 seconds if yours going 100%.

this is what i do along with other runs, which obviously your welcome to try.

over 5 miles.

1mile - 10 mins
1.5 - 12:30
1.5 - best effort back aiming for under 10 or 10:30
1mile - 10 mins

its working for me fairly well and your pretty much practicing for whats happening at the prmc. as the first mile would be equivilent to the warm up i would say (from what i've heard) and the last mile just being building your endurance and stamina.

its not great by all means, but its short and fast. and as you get fitter you can start reducing the times apart from the 12:30 for the first 1.5.

TommyK

Reaction score
I'll have to try that mate looks good to me. Cheers for all the replies lads