fear of heights

Varn01

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to this website so here's a hello to everyone here.
What do you think the best thing i can do to overcome fear of heights?? i no that on the prmc yu have to do some high rope walking and the tarzan assault course during training. This is the only thing that is bothering me as i beleive i can get my fitness up to a good standard. I started rock climbing last week indoors to get used to being up there, im going to slowly get higher and higher as the weeks go on any other suggestions.Also do you beleive or has anyone actually fully overcome the fear of heights?? is it possible or am i buggered *text deleted*
Thanks guys

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hello & welcome to PRMC!

The truth is we're all afraid of heights to a greater or lesser degree. It's not the height so much as the fear of the impact bit when the height is no longer an issue as you fall.

You already appear to be doing the right things. It's simply mind over matter. During PRMC you do the high obstacle course which involves you working at a height of 30 feet, pulling yourself forward on your belly along a rope- the difficult bit is pulling yourself along the rope, not the height. You practise that at 6 foot height first. If there's any way you can practise that at low altitude, then that would certainly assist.

The other bit about the high obstacle course is you have to walk along a 12" wide plank of wood, step over a 2 foot gap and carry on to the end. Stating the obvious, you simple look across the gap, not down through it.

Try visiting something like (Link:) Tree Tops Adventure to exorcise those demons.

Good luck!

Varn01

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated. Im in my final year at uni so ive got plenty of time to work on it, guess i will just try to climb higher and higher while the voice in my head goes oh s*text deleted*t oh s*text deleted*t. I think it is true that its the fear of falling that is more threatning than the height itself. I just have the feeling that once i get to a prmc that i will be the only one cacking myself, that will probly not be the case i know, but knowing my luck *text deleted*.
Thanks again

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
im a roofer so im kinda used to height but honestly before i started climbing on roofs i was *text deleted* scared ..after a couple of months you dont even take notice how high you are youll be fine mate