Fear of heights

zubaar

Reaction score
I have a moderate fear of heights, anything past 15-20 feet I just freeze, anybody got any suggestion about getting rid of this due to elements of Tarzan on prmc, Tarzan during training and the cliff stuff during rt, bearing in mind I have a couple of years before I apply. Thanks for any help

adam101

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have a moderate fear of heights, anything past 15-20 feet I just freeze, anybody got any suggestion about getting rid of this due to elements of Tarzan on prmc, Tarzan during training and the cliff stuff during rt, bearing in mind I have a couple of years before I apply. Thanks for any help
Might sound old fashioned, but isn't the only way to get over a fear is to face it? I'm not sayin go and climb on your roof, no climbing wall's near were you live?

zubaar

Reaction score
I believe so, looked into it once before but they weren't very good, might have to look further away. Thanks for the quick reply

adam101

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I believe so, looked into it once before but they weren't very good, might have to look further away. Thanks for the quick reply
Hopefully there is another one that is better then, i used to do it at school, perfect and safe way to get over heights i would imagine

PompeyLad

Reaction score
The rope climbs are done to 17 feet I think, and you'll have to make fast too (rope feet around rope and let go with both hands). Try bouldering at a climbing wall, just keep facing it until you can conquer it. Back yourself and keep the state of mind and you'll be sound. Best of luck mate.

Grogsey

Reaction score
I had a big fear of heights and was worried before my prmc in 2011. I went to Go Ape and that really helped! Also when you have the ptis watching and screaming at you adrenaline takes over and you just do it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, deffo go on a high ropes acquaint such as Go Ape or similar.

To my mind it's right to be wary of heights, particularly the last couple of centimetres when falling from them. All you need do is learn to deal with it and carry-on, it's like any other rational fear.

PompeyLad

Reaction score
You're only born with two fears. The fear of falling and the fear of loud noises. The rest are developed. A fear of heights can be linked to the fear of falling. As stated above in posts; face it, conquer it and crack on.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The rope climbs are done to 17 feet.
The ropes stance at CTC are 30 feet up. You have to climb to the top, carrying full equipment and weapon, touch the bar and then descend under control. This will be done in whatever weather conditions are prevalent at the time. I believe this is one element of the Bottom Field Pass Out.

Before you reach that stage there will be plenty of rope work done in the gym, with no equipment, loose order and nice and dry and warm! You will also learn to do all the fancy stuff as well.

However, inside or out, you need to overcome any fear of heights before pitching up at CTC for RT, as the PT staff are not renowned for their patience!

Alan

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you could always try rock climbing

zubaar

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's answers, I've found a climbing Centre near to where I live, and will soon be joining

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Speaking from experience I've never been a fan of heights and still don't enjoy them but still have managed to Death Slide at CTCRM, and visited Go Ape for the day, it's all about putting one foot in front of the other and being 100% focused.

Checkout Go Ape if you're concerned enough before attempting to join.

Charles001

Resigned
Reaction score
@zubaar As others have said the best thing you can do is to face it so heights become more familiar to you. My son has/had a fear of heights and to a certain extent may always have this fear but he has taught himself to cope with it. Prior to his PRMC he spent some time in North Wales taking part in abseiling and high rope courses and zip wires ( he was one of the first to go on the longest and highest zip wires in Europe).

Do you live near any town centre viewing platforms (are you close to London which has a few)? Are you near any buildings which have a lift on the outside of the building? If you do then ask the business if they will let you visit a few times to ride the lift. When you visit fair grounds force yourself to go on the ferris wheel or pay a visit or two to one of the theme parks and go on some of the higher rides.

The trick is to expose yourself to height as much as possible and to learn how to relax at the same time.

zubaar

Reaction score
I live about an hour and a half from London so not too convenient, but I've heard in Portsmouth there is something similar? Thank you for answering my question

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I live about an hour and a half from London so not too convenient, but I've heard in Portsmouth there is something similar? Thank you for answering my question

I can't watch these without becoming a little freaked out..

PompeyLad

Reaction score

If you live in Portsmouth mate, give us a shout anytime you want to do some training. Fort Purbrook has a bouldering wall, but it's not that good. The one in Southampton is decent. Otherwise, I bought something from Millets a few weeks ago and ended up chatting to a bloke in there and he does bouldering on the Hot Walls.

Banshee

Reaction score
Maybe just go jump of a low bridge into water ? Close your eyes hold your nose. Fear is not to be feared, but embarrassed. Fear is your friend. Fear keeps you on your toes. Fear keeps you alart but most importantly fear keeps you alive ;)