Feedback & Opinions - Tattoos, Piercings & Haircuts

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jan 20, 2018.

?
  1. All entry standards should remain the same as now

45 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Tattoo regulations should remain.

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Tattoo regulations should be changed

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Body piercing regulation should apply equally

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Gender specific hair regulations should remain

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Hair regulations should apply equally (regardless of gender/ethnicity/religion)

11 vote(s)
    17.2%
  7. Body piercing regulations should remain unchanged.

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

As most of us are aware, any tattoos on the face, neck, ears, head of RM applicants is a bar to entry.

We all know of people in the Corps that have chosen to bend those rules with apparent impunity.

Similarly ear studs are not permitted and for males, hair length must conform to different standards depending on gender.

The Australian Navy has employed individuals with tribal facial tattoos without any discernable notice in operational performance.

Females are currently serving in UK Armed Service personnel with tattooed eyebrows and lip liner.

Similarly other foreign forces apply the same hair regulation for males & females without issue.

In the UK Armed Forces, Sikhs can wear turbans instead of regulation headdress, wear long hair irrespective of gender and legitimately carry ceremonial daggers.

Royal Marines can have moustaches but not beards, sailors can have beards, not moustaches.

Question is....does it really matter?

Should the Royal Marines take the lead and eradicate ANY discrimination and apply a true equal opportunities standard?

2. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    For me it's less about operational performance and more about standards of dress and behaviour, I think the danger when we talk in those terms is that we start focusing on numbers on a page rather than the overall ethos and esprit de corps of the armed forces. Different standards of facial hair for different branches seems odd but it allows each to retain their own identity which is important in an inherently competitive profession.

I'm not a big fan of tattoos in general so I'm biased, but would you really want to be inspected by Her Majesty the Queen with a "born to kill" tattoo on your forehead? This is an extreme example but we shouldn't be afraid to take a relaxation of standards to its logical conclusion.

The British empire always had a respect for different cultures' customs, and Sikhs came from a fine martial tradition with an illustrious history fighting in the British armed forces, so I don't see that allowing Sikhs to wear turbans or ceremonial daggers in any way contradicts this.

That said, from what I understand, before WW1 there was no particular restrictions on facial hair in the armed forces, but with the advent of the gas mask it became necessary so that a seal could be maintained, I imagine this is the still the case though, so that wouldn't be a good reason to change it back.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It would be deeply troubling and yet amusing if it were she with the tat.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

From experience, the sight of a mahoosive uniformed Maori customs officer—with full facial tribal tattoos—at Auckland airport can be a surprise.

Out of interest, would an RM applicant with, say, prominent 'port wine' facial birthmarks have any application issues?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

None whatsoever.

We accept applicants with red hair and different coloured eyes also.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    On the subject of facial hair, I think during times where there are no combat operations, such as now, rules should be relaxed. I like what the Royal Navy’s procedure is where you request to grow a beard and if you haven’t established a full set within 2 weeks? you shave it off. Servicemen should have the option to grow sideburns down to the earlobe and/or a moustache, or a full set beard that is kept tidy, no goatees or anything like that.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Paradoxically—back in the day—many units deployed to Northern Ireland required ranks to grow their hair longer than would be usually tolerated.
    The specific reasons were complex but basically anyone with an obviously military hair style could be at risk and a liability to others depending on circumstances.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  8. Pendo

Pendo Moderator

I think if there's a valid reason for it, like a Maori with a Tā Moko then it should be treated the same as a Sikh's beard, hair, turban and knife.

Born to kill would come under the obscene rule, which I think should stay. Although if it can't be seen in uniform then there should be more leniency on what's obscene and what's not.

A tattoo doesn't really effect your ability to kill people at the end of the day does it, and that's the whole point of the job.

As an aside, can women cut their hair like a bloke?

• Like Like x 3
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Military personnel should appear clean, presentable and of immaculate bearing whilst in dress uniform. Standards should remain high, and in my opinion military personnel should "appear" to uphold high standards across the board.

Facial tatts on anyone doesn't give a good impression, equally men having earings is not acceptable. Hair should be of a short length back and sides with a taper at the Base of the skull. No square neck!!

Men are permitted to wear a moustache. However it must not exceed the width of the mouth, and must be of a reasonable groomed length.

Women should be permitted to wear a single stud in each ear, and long hair should be tied, and netted in a neat bun.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I've cast my vote as I believe that the policy on hair should be relaxed.

For me, hair is the first obvious sign I look for when spotting green army ranks. Matelots tend to blend in better than most, if only for the scruffy nature of their hair and pot bellies.

The heirarchy bleet on constantly about PERSEC but then get a bee in their bonnet when someone tries to look less military. I find myself constantly pushing the boundaries, not out of some desire to fight the system but because I need to blend in with CivPop for my own well being.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hiding in plain view; the masters of covert concealment. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Why can’t men have their hair like women?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

I never cared much about being smart. Had no creases in my blues. But I liked having things ironed perfectly. Always hated having my hair cut. Had hair as long as I could get away with. Had a pierced ear and wore an earring before it became fashionable. Never liked shaving but couldn't grow a set while I was in. Haven't shaved since I left.

Joined up because I wanted to be a sailor, which for me meant being very good at my job, travelling the world getting extremely drunk and being nice to ladies.

Didn't care what civvies thought or might think while I was in and I don't think my opinion is relevant now I'm out.

It's all a bit little/big endian.

• Like Like x 5
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

You mean like just the merest hint of a luxuriant handlebar moustache?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Got to love a good waxed tash.

16. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Women wax them, do they? Every day a schoolday.

• Like Like x 1
  17. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I get the feeling there's a rebel in you??? :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Being good at my job was my saving grace, I was pretty much left alone.

Always danced to me own drummer though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Sounds like a man I'd share a pint with. If your ever in South Wales!!??

First rounds on me Matelot!!

20. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Grew up there but haven't been back since my dad died. If I'm ever back there I'll hold you to that and we'll make it a dozen or so.

To start.

• Winner Winner x 1